Discussions on following

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by elisedance, Jan 31, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have seen all kinds of students get pissy because said teacher spent too much time with other student, or said teacher wasn't pleasant enough or social enough...they are still often on the clock...and sure, you hope they enjoy their job...but the fact remains, the better dancer isn't usually the one having the most fun....

dbk likes this.
  2. fascination

having re- read...I guess I was making a statement that runs a bit alongside your point...didn't mean to imply that we disagreed or to infer that you said anything that ran counter...sometimes I am a bit...er... jumbled :)

dbk likes this.
  3. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Arguing but not disagreeing... c'est la internet... :p

fascination likes this.
  4. kckc

kckc Active Member

aaack! All I said was that pros who seem to enjoy social dancing are a rare creature, which is true, and for perfectly valid reasons. I wouldn't do it either. Of course there are 6-week-wonders who go on to great things, and 6-week-wonders who don't. My pro started as one and couldn't live with himself and still do the job that the chain wanted him to do (mainly, make lots of money for them off of people who couldn't necessarily afford it), so he quit and started teaching independently. That was 15+ years ago...

BOT- I still can't social dance with him, and the opportunity to do so is very rare anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter, I can stink it up for 3 minutes a few times a year and focus! :)

fascination likes this.
  5. fascination

yea...it's all my bad...I was just up from a nap and talking tangentially....mea maxima culpa...I will say that, as regards following...I am ***finally***enjoying it...8 years and you don't want to know how many tens of thousands later

6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Are you concerned with being "right" when dancing with your pro? When that happens to me, it all goes to h*** in a handbasket for me.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

you must mean male pros coz my female pros all LOVE social dancing and are top level competitiors not "6 week wonders" *hat that term too*

one even insists our last dance of our set of lessons be a social dance usually salsa wcs or hustle

tho it could be because im a really good social dancer too:eek::D:cool:

8. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

No, I meant I've yet to meet a pro who was excited about the prospect of social dancing. (Again, with the exception of the two AM parties I went to).

Clearly I have not met your pros - but I didn't say "all pros," did I?

I'm not sure you know what I mean when I say "social dance". I'm not talking about "club" dances - I am talking about dance parties, where people dance with several different partners for several hours...that has very little to do with what dance your pro wants to do with you in a lesson.

Besides - salsa, WCS, and hustle all have their own competitive communities; they're no more strictly social than ballroom is strictly competitive...

Bailamosdance likes this.
  9. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Perhaps that is it. Sometimes acknowledging the mental block helps me out, hence the posting (SELFISH, i know). I did manage to follow something in rumba at a lesson, out of nowhere, so baby steps? we'll see...practice party tonight, i will try not to need to be right!

latingal likes this.
  10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I had a chat with my instructor some years ago about this. I stated my point thusly: "You are a fantastic instructor and I appreciate everything you do for me. Now, you have my permission to take the next three minutes off from being an instructor. Just dance and enjoy it." I think she appreciates having a few minutes where she isn't having to "take care" of a newbie student or worry about what's going on in the studio. If she observes something in my dancing that needs fixing, she might make a note of it, but it doesn't get brought up until our next lesson.

11. fascination

interesting, would never occur to me that they would need permission for that....

12. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I disagree that the teacher is grateful or even interested in 'just dancing' with you. It is a good rule of thumb that the worse dancer always has the better time. Your teacher is accommodating a student who wAnts the teacher to dance at the students level but it is not 'fun' or appreciated, it is endured. The teacher wants the student to strive to dance up

13. fascination

well...in all fairness, I think it's possible that that can vary a bit depending upon the level of the student... and I think cornutt makes a fair point that it is sometimes nice for even the sternest instructor to feel like they can cut lose a bit...and maybe some do need permission to do that....mine doesn't, but I could see it...but mine will cut lose of his own accord on certain days and genuinely seem to enjoy himself...note; I didn't claim that he enjoyed me...that would be different

14. cornutt

That would imply that no one can ever have an enjoyable dance with a partner who is less skilled or experienced, which means that 90% of all dances stink for one of the partners. I disagree with that in the strongest possible terms.

SwayWithMe likes this.
  15. fascination

right...I think there are degrees...while I think that there is generally some truth to the notion that often the less skilled dancer may enjoy a dance more, I think it doesn't at all imply that it can't be enjoyable for both people...I am not delusional enough to think that my pro is waiting with eagerness to dance with me every week and while I have seen plenty a pro struggle to look like they are enjoying something that, for them is simply necessary...but, I do reject the notion that no pro ever enjoys dancing at some point in time with one student or another

16. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I agree with this 110%. I, like fasc and many others on here I'm sure, have no illusions about the degree to which my pro enjoys dancing with me. While I'm positive he doesn't always hate it, enjoying it is perhaps a bit of a stretch as well. I do think he is good at making sure I'm enjoying it, and that's all I can ask for in a social dance setting. And occasionally (and I do mean rarely) I have seen him get a slight grin of, dare I say, enjoyment when he leads something we have been working on and I nail it, or when I am moving well enough to at least be able to follow when he stretches his legs, so to speak. But most of the time I get a pleasant pro who is doing his job. I'm perfectly ok with that.

I just put a post in the "what are you excited about in your dancing" thread which addressed this lead/follow thing. I stated that I was really excited because I FINALLY felt like my following skills achieved a level decent enough for me to enjoy a night of social dancing with strangers. No small feat and one I've been working on since I began dancing (years).

I also have a difficult time following pro during social dances, but I wouldn't say any more or less so than with most other leads (at least the ones who have a bit of experience leading). But last night, I kept up with just about every dance partner I danced with. FINALLY!!

SwayWithMe, cornutt and kckc like this.
  17. cornutt

Look, I'm not arrogant enough to think that I can lead my instructor through a pro-level dance. However, if it were true that pros can never enjoy a dance with a student, then it would be equally true that an experienced amateur could never enjoy a dance with a less experienced amateur. And from my own experience, that's absolutely not true; I've enjoyed many dances with less experienced amateurs. Granted, I wouldn't want that to be all of my dancing, but I don't have to dance with a championship-level dancer in order to have an enjoyable experience.

And, it has to be said... just because one partner is a pro, that doesn't always mean they are the better dancer. I daresay our own Fasc is a better dancer than a fair number of male pros. And I've danced with some six-week wonders who, while they were technically pros, were -- to be brutally honest -- not as good as me.

SwayWithMe and DerekWeb like this.
  18. fascination

it's true....