Discussions on following

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by elisedance, Jan 31, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I agree with skwiggy cornutt, keep contributing...I do think in the technical discussions it's the style of rebuttal that can get out of hand and scare the ladies off. I have never seen that from you.
  2. latingal

*grin* and a little humor always helps!
  3. Laura

Laura New Member

Exactly. And sometimes the conversation devolves to the point where the comment is made that my teacher doesn't know what he or she (I have had many of each) was talking about. I find that extremely insulting, as I feel that not only do I have enough experience in dance to know what I'm talking about well enough to contribute to technical conversations, I also feel that I have enough experience in dance to be able to determine who is a high-quality teacher that can help me to increase my knowledge, understanding, and execution. And most of all, I have enough experience in life and in dance to know that there is more than one way to approach something and to think about something and to discuss something, and that often times seemingly conflicting statements are actually two aspects of addressing the same issue.
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Ah, and the correct follow is the ballancing lowering of the eye lids - resulting in a flash of skin that is both alarming and inviting...

:D

I don't think anyone here wants to stop the terrific detailed discussions of technique that the guys here are so good at. Thats counter productive. Maybe what is amiss is that there should be an invitation for input on the follower's needs or does in reponse or during the leads - perhaps more respect for each others (or more precisely, the follower's) skills? Maybe the above illustrates??
  5. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I would have no problem with someone saying that they disagree with me or have a different perspective or idea. That makes for a healthy and interesting discussion. But to flat out tell me I'm wrong is both rude and counterproductive. It's not worth the energy to argue at that point.
  6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yup. Same here.

Also, despite Skwiggy's mention of me as contributing, I really don't. Partly for the reasons already mentioned. But mostly b/c there is absolutely nothing I contribute to a discussion of ballroom following. I can speak up wrt AT, and do in the AT forum, but not many people are particularly interested in that.

But...yeah...I'm just pretty non-confrontational by nature (unless extremely comfortable with someone(s), or extremely riled up). I'm not going to start blathering (b/c, god knows, I've never gotten the hang of being succinct) about anything in ballroom, when a) anyone who's asking is ahead of me, technique-wise, and b)I'm highly likely to be told that I don't know how to dance. Just not worth it. I can bang my head against my desk and wind up with the same result, but with a lot less aggravation.
  7. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I had a feeling you would say you don't contribute, Peaches. ;)

Despite your qualification of every contribution with an "I don't know what I'm talking about but here is what I think I understand", you DO in fact contribute. :)
  8. Me

Me New Member

:bkick:
  9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Lol. OK, let me rephrase...I don't contribute much of anything useful. Contributions of pointless verbage, and contributions towards taking threads off-topic I'm quite good at!
  10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Well, maybe better than me Peaches - I pontificate on things I understand very little on - look at this thread. BJS - there are REAL dancers here and what am I doing..

Maybe at best I'm a catalyst (or an irritant!!)
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i just get so blindingly bored by black-and-white, "this-is-the-only-gospel-there-is" arguments. once those discussions hit that point, i lose all interest because it's like engaging with fools...

i mean, these things are all arguable, they are all relative. in the end, a world champion can do it as he or she sees fit, because of the control involved. so talking in absolutes... well, i wish there were less of that. would make legitimate sharing & back-and-forth more r.e.f.r.e.s.h.ing & diverse!
  12. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

No way, it's commence to rise. Otherwise your eyebrow would be impacting your hairline before the teeth are fully gnashed.
  13. latingal

LOL...you guys are killing me.
  14. Chris Stratton

In all seriousness, the criticism should be that the mis-statement demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the dance figure being described. It's not really about leading at all.
  15. Me

Me New Member

Ah, I see we're working International Tango. :D

*runs and hides!*
  16. Me

Me New Member

Swing and a miss!
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

<here we go... :rolleyes:>
  18. Chris Stratton

Yes, but if you do something different than what is standard, you may well get different results - a few choices will lead to success in different forms, but most will lead to failure. Usually the conversation starts with a report of difficulty, so the points of divergence from the ways known to work are suspect (especially if they resemble the ways known not to work).

Control, but also the wisdom and experience (or behind the scenes coach advice) to pick something that is workable, regardless if it is or isn't the standard version.
  19. Me

Me New Member

But about following... it is hard for me not to write an essay about something that is so simple yet very difficult to do.

In summary: I try, very very hard, to dance my body smart and my brain like an idiot. I hold onto my center and try to stay as balanced as possible, and wait to see where the movement wants me to go. The moment I start trying to guess patterns and intent things go to pieces. (Things are going to go to pieces anyway if the lead is not correct, so why should I throw my brain's opinion into the fray and further mess things up?)

What I try to do is to go exactly where I am asked. The times that I have to just 'give up' are when the lead is very, very new, and 'tells' me nothing at all. (No intent, no full body movement, etc.) Then if it's a chacha for example I just have to rely on reflexes to keep my toes from being nicked. But this does not happen a lot, really.
  20. latingal

Okay question for the technically oriented guys, how would you say this without making the contributor feel like an idiot? (no offense Me, just making the point).