Discussions on following

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by elisedance, Jan 31, 2008.

1. kckc

kckc Active Member

Yes, I have the same problem. I can't social dance with my pro! I have no doubt it is mental- I am so concerned with getting everything just so and pleasing him (like I try to do when practicing with him or at competitions) that I can't just let go and dance. I have yet to figure out a solution.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  2. Steven123

Steven123 Member

It may be that your pros don't know how to social dance. A lot of these pros just learned dancing through technique classes and learned to do shows and always thought social dancing with the common folk was beneath them. I decided to try out ballroom dancing after having done social dancing a lot, and, in one studio, the pros knew how to social dance. In the other studio, they didn't really know. The pros in the second studio won higher places than those in the first studio, but from after having taken several classes with them, they didn't have the skills I valued as a dancer.

3. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Totally valid point. I do know my pros do social dance, but not the social dancing i am used to - one does a lot of social salsa, one west coast - and I usually do lindy hop or EC swing.

kckc - if you find the magic bullet, LET ME KNOW.

I am thinking of trying to trick my brain - and wear the swing shoes and dress as if i am going out social dancing, for the next party or social event...see if that helps me get in the groove. I seem to think that if I can get through this mental block, my following in other competitive dances will improve.

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

You have a very skewed view of pros.

I find it easier to dance with pros (my own teacher or others) at a social because I don't have to worry about their driving, while with most of the social am guys I'm constantly having to be on the defensive (if ONE MORE PERSON pushes me practically outside partner because he doesn't actually understand how Smooth/Standard aligns...I'd rather dance with the guy who's had three lessons than the guy who's been going to socials for "years", the newbie is generally a lot more careful and I don't end up in pain.) This may be a ballroom vs swing thing, though...

Bailamosdance likes this.
  5. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I disagree. Dancing socially requires the same skills that competitive dancing requires, which include a knowledge of connection, movement, weight change, and technique. Many times the social dancer is missing enough chunks of knowledge that they actually prefer a purely social dancer over a trained dancer, either because the 'signals' the trained dancer sends out are either not understood or are misinterpreted. And the large brush you are using painting trained dancers as thinking common folk are beneath them is also misinterpreted and perhaps a little jealous.

It is true that the more training you have the more you expect from others but the bar is prettY low in social dancing and people go to a social with eyes wide open, for the most part. I never tire, tho, of the folks ,who tell me who dances well and who doesn't when it is immediately obvious in their dancing that tHeir skill set is so low that their value judgements can be easily minimalized...

danceronice likes this.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lordy...the endless age old tension...there are pros who are awesome ...there are pros who stink...there are pros who are everything in between, there are good pros and crappy pros... some emphasize competitive dance some, emphasize social dance, some can do both just fine thank you very much ...the one's who disparage others are usually the ones you have to be leary of...some people are good competitive dancers, some people are good social dancers, some people do both well...usually the ones who disparage the others are the ones to be wary of

3wishes likes this.
  7. kckc

kckc Active Member

yep. I will also say that while my pro isn't enamored of social dancing, if only because he is exhausted by that point of the week, he looks perfectly fine social dancing with others, and for all I know, we look perfectly fine together to anyone who catches a glimpse. I'm the one with the mental block.

8. kckc

kckc Active Member

I forgot to add- pro has a "thing" about doing comp routines at social dances as he feels it can be too close to "showing off", a perfectly valid point. However, whenever we start to dance at a social, my body automatically goes into "comp mode" with him, which may be the heart of the issue. It also happens with other leads that I dance with on a regular basis socially (there really aren't that many). I pretty much know what they are going to do and when they are going to do it and my brain goes on "auto-pilot".

AHA! Maybe I'm onto something...maybe I just have to focus on the moment more and not subconsciously anticipate, which pro has actually said before.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  9. fascination

on the rare occasion that I social dance with my pro (that would be no more than 4 dances in 5 years) he usually will to our routines but in a very relaxed way....not even remotely in the manner in which he could...and I think he does that more as a favor to those of us who dance little else with him...which makes me curious about what he would to now that we are focusing less on routines...

10. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

AGREED. My boyfriend is a high level Am/Am Standard dancer who would have to completely re-learn "leading" if he started social dancing with less experienced followers... I can follow him just fine, even when he makes up steps or does steps I don't know.

At some point the lead just gets too subtle for inexperienced followers to pick up on and interpret. It's a little easier for experienced followers to "dumb down," since lower-level leading involves a lot of pushing and micromanagement to make it painfully(!) obvious... but higher-level leaders need to re-learn all that micromanagement to communicate with lower-level followers.

11. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I've yet to meet a pro who was excited about the prospect of social dancing... :p

Wait, that's not true, I think I danced with a couple of six-week-wonders at two different newly-minted Arthur Murrays. Nice people!

12. kckc

kckc Active Member

they are a rare creature, aren't they (the pros who like to social dance, not the six-week-wonders)

dbk likes this.
  13. fascination

well, I don't think a pro liking to social dance, or a pro being good at social dance, or a pro being a 6 week wonder are concepts that have any correlation at all other than one that is anything more than accidental

14. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Didn't say there was, did I?

15. fascination

goodness...defensive a bit...was referring to kckc's post...which happens to be the one directly above mine

16. fascination

though, to the point...and I think Larinda has said it before...I think pros don't have a problem with social dancing, but most particularly with social dancing that is required of them...and honestly, I don't think that if I had already spent 40 hours a week dancing with people who were significantly less advanced with myself, tat I would be all that fired up to do more of it, particularly with a bunch of people who were going to keep tracks of how many dances I gave to whom and any other myriad of expectations...

17. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

All kckc did was agree with my post...?

18. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Agreed... there are tons of reasons a pro would not be interested in social dancing. I'm not surprised I haven't met one who enjoyed socials (at least those that I'd be attending).

19. fascination

I also have to say that I find the term six week wonder about as offensive as the term cash cow....only because, there are a number of people who were 6 week wonders who went on to be wondrous dancers...and there are a number of cash cows who are darn good dancers and I think that both of those terms fail to acknowledge that....just a small aside that I wanted to make :)

20. fascination

all I did was make a distinction, not a criticism...just noted that I don't think there is a relationship...let me go back and re-read and see if I can re-state my point