disqualifications at ballroom comps

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Yliander, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, the organizers should have publicized it, right then and there, over the PA system. That kind of activity unfair to other competitors, and whomever did that should be ashamed of themselves. Publicizing it will help them along their way to mortification.

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I get so annoyed with this and don't really understand what joy there is in winning pre-bronze when you can dance and place well in silver or gold. I'll never understand this.

3. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Just strike up a conversation about ballroom with a person on the street, and you'll come across people that know somebody that dances, and one of the first things they'll say to me is, "Do you know So-and-so? They're a ballroom champion!" And I'll say, no! And then, I'll find out that they won a low level at some competition with their teacher.

One of two things is happening...
    (1) The person I'm talking to heard about their friend's win, and immediately assumes that means champion, or...
    (2) The dancer that won tells everyone they're a champion, and they leave off the level and other details.

So, I think these sandbaggers probably win the low levels for an ego stroke, so they can come back from their ballroom trips and say they won and maintain their "champion" status. This is definitely unfair to those trying to work their way up.

I've also seen something similar to this with Pro's, but that's a different thread ;)

4. Laura

Laura New Member

A lot of people "on the outside" don't seem to realize that there are other forms of ballroom competition besides "Championship Ballroom Dancing" on PBS. For instance, I've never misrepresented myself to my friends and I still get introduced by them to their other friends as a professional ballroom dancer. (Nothing could be futher from the truth.) I started reading a non-dancing forum where people were talking about "Dancing with the Stars," and a lot of people there didn't realize that amateurs competed. So I can see where the confusion comes from.

5. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

Just a side note......I have several older customers who totally believe in their "champion status". I received a lovely note from one of them yesterday (she is in her 80's) about all her awards and achievements as a top level dancer. If I didn't know anything about ballroom dancing and I talked to her, I would think she is a star of our sport. And in a very special way, she is.

And I think not everyone who dances competitively "gets" the system. I know a lot of my customers starting out have no idea that they are dancing uncontested.

I do think everyone should have to follow the rules, whatever they may be for the particular event they are dancing in - as complicated as that seems to be sometimes :shock: :D . And I think it would be great if disqualifications were posted somewhere - that way the people who need to know, ie the teachers, can fix their errors and the ones who simply want to get away with something, can't.

6. mamboqueen

I make sure I don't give anyone any illusions about my competition results and explain the different types (am, pro/am, pro/pro) categories, ages, etc. I'm always afraid that if they should actually see me, their vision of ballroom dancing compeititon will be suddenly and swiftly deflated!

7. LXC

LXC New Member

Oh yeah, they are everywhere. My first ballroom teacher, with all due respect, is not all that knowledgable about competitive ballroom dancing esp international style. But he claimed on his website to be coach of us champions, and I know for sure who he referred to and they are by no means champions!

Persons and behaviors like these are so silly that we just laugh, no need to get annoyed at all.

8. mamboqueen

Well, I only get annoyed when I'm up against someone who's been doing pre-bronze for 5 years. Move on, girl! Nothing I can do but try to dance my best, I suppose.

9. LXC

LXC New Member

Same here :lol: Every time I talk to friends and coworkers about my competition, I have to re-explain the fact there're different proficieny levels and I'm lower on the ladder. Takes a while, and my friends don't seem to be all that interested, but I'm always afraid that if I don't, they'd misinteprete my placings.

10. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I gave up on explaining things to non dance people.. No matter how hard you try, they still introduce you as a "professional" dancer to their friends...

11. Kitty

Kitty New Member

but what are YOU doing in pre-bronze :shock: ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. mamboqueen

I only competed pre-bronze once, back at the end of last year; I'm doing Bronze III and Silver I at my next comp. :)

I like to keep expectations low...*LOL*

13. Kitty

Kitty New Member

seriously though, sometimes people decide to dance lower level to be contested.

I've done that once - chose the level I knew I was going to win instead of a higher level because the lower level had 3 rounds while the higher level was a direct final. I was still eligible for the lower level though.

14. mamboqueen

Well, the person I'm thinking of in particular does a gazillion heats in just about every level, and more than 1 age group. Honestly, I give her high regards for being in such good condition to do it, but it gets a little frustrating at times. I guess I should look at it as incentive to do better....

15. Kitty

Kitty New Member

:lol: I know what you mean :lol:

oh, and my teammates were always asking me "so do you want to be a pro?" - "no, what made you think so?" - "why do you practice so much then? and why are you so good" (hehe good in that context means winning collegiate silver)
    I could never explain that I just want to be an amateur that doesn't stink...

16. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

This is so relative... So many non dancers think that bad bronze couples are so amasing... They usually change their mind after watching open events :lol:

For non dancer anything looks good, untill they start comparing it to others.. :)

17. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Oh, not me. I always compete much younger group and higher category. I don't feel any pride in winning in lower category. I compete against people 30 yrs junior to me. No competition organizers have ever asked drivers liscence from me.

18. mamboqueen

This is why my friends all think I can dance!

Contra - what rule are you breaking? I thought you just couldn't dance UP in age.

19. LXC

LXC New Member

I trust you can dance much better than them in no time, so just move ahead and let them reign in pre-bronze!

20. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I remember watching silver events at MIT when I was a newcomer and thinking "if I could ever be that good I'd be happy..."

(you know on my team there was no one dancing standard besides newcomers so I had never seen it done)