disqualifications at ballroom comps

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Yliander, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Stiletto One

Stiletto One New Member

Agreed.

I still feel pretty crappy, but then newcomers come up and are like "wow you're awesome" and I get a warm fuzzy. And I'm like go watch <other person on team who is ALOT better than I> and they're like "wah". :D

Anyway, comps I've been to (not very many, admittedly), we've had someone taking the "Mr/Ms. Eat-Your-Soul" who, immediately after a heat, will call "Couples XXX, YYY, ZZZ, please come to the judging table" and chew them out for breaking syllabus. But I've never heard an actual DQ call.
  2. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I beleive that you can compete 2 age groups up or down legally. But I always compete much younger groups. I dance against 20s and 30s. That makes my old blood boil.
  3. contracheck

contracheck New Member

4. Stiletto One

Stiletto One New Member

lol, you broke the UBB code.

I wonder what it would take to get a public DQ of that sort. That scene in Shall We Dance comes to mind.
  5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

nope, a 20 year old cannot dance over 35 no matter what, even if he/she has an over 35 partner.

one can only dance up into a more challenging category.
  6. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I'd do anything short of murder and treason to compete against beautiful 30-yr old dancers.
  7. contracheck

contracheck New Member

8. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

For USA Dance, there are specific rules:

Pre-teen I <=9
    Pre-teen II 10,11
    Junior I 12,13
    Junior II 14,15
    Youth 16,17,18
    Adult >=19
    Senior I >=35
    Senior II >=50

For younger than Adult, competitors can dance in their age category and one age category higher. For Senior I and Senior II, they can compete in younger categories but no lower than Adult. For more details, see Rule 4.5.5 in the USA DanceSport rulebook.

Of course, this doesn't really work for non USA Dance competitions
  9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That's about as clear as mud. :lol: :lol: Just kidding. :wink: Is there someone who checks ages at these comps? Or is it strictly an honor system?
  10. contracheck

contracheck New Member

This rule is ridiculous. Where can 70-yr old dancers compete? Agisnt 50-yr old? If you check Empire, they have 70-yr old category, which is more reasonable.
  11. pygmalion

*giggle* I guess they figure if you're over fifty, you might as well be 70.

As you said, Empire State breaks it down into ten-year brackets over age fifty, with the highest age bracket being 81 years and older. *shrug* I wonder how much difference it makes. :?
  12. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I think perhaps you are comparing pro-am age categories to amatuer ones. For pro-am, the conventional widom is to divide the categories as finely as possible, wheras for amateur there's some intent to not have things so narrowly categorized that the events end up too small.

Also keep in mind that pro-am age categories apply to the student only. If there were an over-70 amateur category, but a 72 year old had a 68 year old partner, they'd have to do the over-50 division.
  13. pygmalion

Hmm. I'm fairly sure that the entry form I looked at was for American Style amateur entries, only. And it had age categories from J1 (Under 5) to C2 (81+) I can go back to the website and double check. *shrug* :car:
  14. pygmalion

Yes. Pro-am and Am have the same age categories, at least for the Empire State. 8) And, as expected, the Pro category has no age limitations. :D
  15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the scholarship categories for Empire are 18-45 and 45+. Not liking that much.
  16. pygmalion

Mmm. It doesn't seem fair that a 44-year-old would be up against 18-year-old competition. :(
  17. mamboqueen

I agree! But, of course, I'm biased!
  18. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

When I look at the Embassy amateur form, I see only under 21, over 35, and over 50 - and for only the open level events - the lower level events appear to be a single age category.

What is confusing about embassy is that their pro/am form includes "am/am" events often called student/student - a sort of 'no teacher' variation on pro/am run under pro/am rules rather than amatuer rules. The subtle clue is that it doesn't ask for the competitors NDCA numbers, wheras the amateur form does.

True. Few 18 year olds can afford as many lessons or as high ranking a pro partner.
  19. mamboqueen

Are you talking to Jenn or me??

Scholarships (pro am) are actually 21-45 (not 18, thank God for small favors) and over 45. Championships are a little better, 13-35 and 36-50.
  20. pygmalion

Very small. :lol: :lol: