disqualifications at ballroom comps

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Yliander, Jul 20, 2005.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

What an 18 year old lacks in funds, they probably make up in physical speed, flexibility, etc.

And for the record, I was working a pretty good job at 18; I would venture to guess I had more expendable cash at that time than I do now (with saving for retirement and my kids' college education). Of course, I was paying minimal rent back then...
  2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Leaving out situations where a rising pro cuts a deal with a promising amateur for mutual exposure, my guess is going to be that most high placings in pro-am scholarships go to those at least age 30, but it is just a guess.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The form I'm talking about is here, Chris. http://www.empirestatedancesport.com/forms/AmAmerican-2005.pdf

There appears to be a different age break-down for multi-dance versus 1-dance entries. For multi-dance, there are just two age categories, as MQ mentioned. For 1-dance entries, the break-down is pretty fine, unless I'm misreading the form. And it specificially mentions being danced with pro-am, so we're talking about a different animal. Or maybe I'm confused. *shrug*

Eh. Whatever. :?
  4. mamboqueen

I think you guys are talking about 2 different competitions (Embassy and Empire).
  5. Chris Stratton

Oops. Embassy != Empire

But actually it's the same situation, only the Empire form is even more confusing. The multi-dance events are the actual "amatuer" events for which an NDCA (not USABDA) number is required. The one dance events give every appearance of being the student/student events, run under pro/am rules and categories during the pro/am session and not requiring an NDCA number.

If organizers reviewed the policies of their sanctioning organization before designing their entry forms, this would all be a lot clearer.
  6. mamboqueen

Well, thank heavens part of my cost of taking lessons includes interpreting these forms. I'm way too confused on a daily basis as it is!
  7. pygmalion

*giggle* I've yet to see one of these forms written in plain English. :lol: :lol:
  8. Chris Stratton

His name _________________________________

Her name ________________________________

How good are you _____________

Choose one: Elegant / Sexy
    Choose one: Over Specialized / Individually Creative

How old are you_____ No, really_______

How many dances are you good for _______

Credit Limit ________
  9. pygmalion

ROTFL! :lol: :lol:
  10. mamboqueen

11. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Good laugh, Chris :D :D
  12. Laura

Laura New Member

The Registrar is supposed to check at the comps. I certainly do for all the ones hosted by USA Dance/NorCal, and I know they check at Nationals.

When I was doing Pro/Am, however, they never checked. Also, Pro/Am comps don't have a consistent set of age categories across all comps. However, in all the Pro/Am comps I've ever been in there was absolutely no problem with someone older than "Adult A" dancing in Adult A.
  13. Laura

Laura New Member

Pro/Am comps vary from region to region and organizer to organizer. The ones I used to dance in on the West Coast would have

18-and over
    35-and over
    above 50

divisions, but not for all styles. Most often there was just 18 and over ("A"), with "B" added for Standard and Smooth.
  14. mamboqueen

That seems like a reasonable categorization to me. It's just too bad they're not all consistent. I mean, you end up having so many people with no competition -- in fact, I've seen it happen at the 18-35 age level.
  15. contracheck

contracheck New Member

To me it's Unreasonable: They are telling that old people, say 60 years and over, are not welcome in their competitions. It's unrerasonable that 70-yr old dancers are pitted against 50-yr old dancers. They are fool. How many millionairs among people 60 and over and how many in 20 years old? They are cutting off a lot of millionairs.
  16. mamboqueen

Well, what if you have one 75-year old person signed up to do 20 dances with no competitors? What's the point? May as well be doing a showcase. Of course, you could always see how registration goes and ask people to combine into a different age group.
  17. Chris Stratton

How many millionaires over age 60 have amateur partners to enter competitions with? When they do, how many under-60 couples do they have to share the over-50 floor with? Enough to have a negative impact on the quality of their dancing?

But yes, amateur-only competitions have not gone after this market segment to the degree which pro/am comps have in both the pro/am events and the student/student events run next to them. While it wouldn't be fair to limit the present form of either sort of event to this, there is still something of a history of pro/am being a service provided to customers, while amateur is a competition open to entriants. Given the attempts of amateur to recast itself as Olympic dancesport, we may see even some of the present choices neglected, replaced by a "this is what we are looking for a champion of, take it or leave it" approach. Neither that, nor pure customer service seem quite right to me - I'd prefer to see a range of options, but an expectation that people will work towards a moderately broad category rather than expecting something perfectly tailored to their personal needs.
  18. Laura

Laura New Member

Some USA Dance competitions have created their own "Senior III" category, I don't know what the lower-end age cut-off for that is. It's not an official category, but they still do it.

And as for Pro/Am, I have seen a "C" category for 70-and-older. We used to have two men in our area who competed against each other in it in Standard. One was 75, I think the other was 71. The older one used to joke about how it was unfair to have to dance against the younger -- but he was really joking. Sometimes one would win, sometimes the other.
  19. pygmalion

Yes. I figured that was the motivation behind the large age groups. 8)
  20. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Well, then the organizes should do something to attract more oldies rather than depriving opoortunities from them outright.