DIY Basement Dance Floor

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by LCbaseball22, May 8, 2013.

1. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

Hi guys, after a hiatus from this forum I've come back to ask for advice on constructing a dance floor at home. The room my girlfriend and I are planning to use currently has a very un-level concrete floor. I think we'll try some bags of self-leveling concrete compound to take care of that issue...but I need to know what sort of flooring is best to lay down once we have the room leveled off. The dance floor will be mostly used for West Coast Swing. I've seen buzz words like floating floor and sprung floor thrown around elsewhere but nothing very explicit on what they are or how to construct such floors...specifically for swing and ballroom sort of dancing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  2. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

Should I move this to the general section?
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I just did...and to answer your question, I put a sprung/floating floor in my basement and am so glad I did...they put down a layer of moisture block then some squares with spacers underneath, then some sub flooring, then the maple...is wonderful...we have threads on this if you do a search
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

that is a great floor fasc

better than a lot of studios!!
  5. fascination

well. I could have done better on the top layer...as the pieces have a larger crease between them than I would have liked, and I should have left it unfinished...but it is still over 900 square feet of mirrored practice space with a ballroom lap top...I will not complain
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

*needs a green jellis emoge right now*
    FancyFeet likes this.
  7. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

So sprung and floating are synonymous? Also, why do you say you should have left unfinished?
  8. fascination

I don't think they are synonymous though I cannot explain the diff...but I know that you probably want one or the other...again, we have a thread that I think goes into that if you do a search...as to finish, the finish on my floor is too hard and too fast to be ideal for me
  9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

No. A "floating" floor just means that it isn't nailed to the sub-floor. It could have nothing but a layer of vapor barrier underneath it. A "sprung" floor has the compressible underlayment, like what Fasc is talking about.
  10. fascination

thx...cornutt
  11. raindance

raindance Active Member

I believe the softest floor that I have had the chance to dance on (had the most give under the foot when dancing/felt most cushioned) was both floating and sprung based on cornutt's post above. Floors that are sprung are much nicer to dance on than those that are not (easier on the feet and joints). But nailing the sprung floor really seems to reduce the give/cushioning from what I have seen.
  12. fascination

mine has no nails...I highly reccommend the process I used, just a different top layer...I would have chosen untreated maple
  13. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

Ok, where can I find material for the "compressible underlayment"? It looks like some companies sell pre-assembled sections and they use EVA high density foam blocks, but I can't find anywhere to buy these for a DIY kind of thing. I'm wondering about other options like neoprene or other sorts of rubber or foam material, but based on the term "sprung" it sounds like you want something that is going to spring back a bit...not just compress completely under your weight...

Trying to stay fairly low-cost (around $1,000-$2,000) since we may only be in this house for a few years...but at the same time we want something that's going to be enjoyable to practice on and host small dance parties, so cost saving options like a vinyl finish are probably out; I think that's what one of our friends has and I really don't like it, but it looks like just leveling the floor alone may cost as much as $600 since the concrete is off by 1/4" in some places...
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Leveling compound shouldn't be all that expensive if you DIY.
  15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

One thing I've seen used for DIY underlayment is medium-density polystyrene sheets. It's sold at the home improvement stores usually as 4x8' sheets, in the area where the plywood is.