DJays - what is your last song for a milonga?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by opendoor, May 2, 2014.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Interested to hear about your choice.
  2. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

3. rain_dog

rain_dog Member

I'm not a DJ (yet), but every DJ in my tango community ends with La Cumparsita unless it's an alternative milonga, in which case it could be anything.
  4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

For me, it varies, but I rarely play La Cumparsita. It's way over done, IMO.
    bordertangoman likes this.
  5. jantango

jantango Active Member

La Cumparsita has a tradition in the milongas of Buenos Aires. Everyone knows it means the end of the milonga, because no one is watching the clock. In Lo de Celia Tango Club, everybody applauds the DJ for the music.

There are more recordings of La Cumparsita than any other tango. It's only appropriate that tango's national anthem is the last tune (it's not a song) of the night.
    Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  6. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

Piazzolla supposedly said La Cumparsita is a "dreadful little tune", yet I agree with jantango for the reasons she stated, which I embrace. And besides, Piazzolla had an ax to grind.
  7. jantango

jantango Active Member

Actually, someone wrote lyrics to La Cumparsita, but recorded versions with lyrics aren't used.
  8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Or do you have by chance other certain pieces or jingles you always use for
    announcements, noon, ladiesĀ“s choice, birthday, tombola, doubles detected, ...
  9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I like Como se pianta la vida
    Tanturi /Castillo
    'how life slips away '
  10. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

A DJ in Washington, DC finished with Piazolla's Oblivion.
  11. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Lately, I've been ending with assorted Pugliesi tandas, although I have ended with a Piazzolla tanda before (with the last song being an edited version of Bandoneon (with the long intro removed)).
  12. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I like La Cumpa for the ending, but I have used Piazzolla (depending on the type of milonga). For the latter, though Oblivion is one of my most fav songs ever (of the genre), I can't see closing with it. Bandoneon is a better choice, IMO.