Do you believe in chemistry between partners ?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancingirldancing, Jun 8, 2009.

1. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Personally I think a lot of it depends on what exactly you are looking for. To say it in a very simple way (perhaps over simplified), there are guys who feel good to dance with, and guys who don't. Same applies to girls. However, on a competitive floor, this nice feeling does not always (and often not) translate into better placement.

If the personality and goals you have match with the better partner, and the two of you can get alone together, I would go with him. Afterall, it takes a long time and a tremendous amount of work to develop a good dancer. OTOH, if you are willing to take an additional risk, you might try with the guy that you feel more connected. It's hard to say what would happen with time, but sure there are always possibilities and you can always work together to improve.

There have been guys whom I truly enjoy dancing with socially but would not compete with. They are actually good enough dancers on a competitor floor, but just that the good feeling does not reflect in competition results. They may have a broken frame from time to time, a broken line from over shaping, etc. But it still feels good, and fun, and I certainly don't mind in a social setting. There are also guys that I met who look good on a comp floor but feel crap to dance with ;). It wasn't just me feeling this, most girls from the studio/team feel this way when dancing with this particular guy. Who would I choose if I were to get a partner? I am not sure. It depends on what you are looking for afterall.

Same applies to girls, and fortunately or unfortunately, I am the "feels better than comp placement" kind of girl ;)

2. BallandChange

BallandChange Member

I totally agree with "StandardGirl". Just becasue it feels good that doens't necessarily mean its good dancing.

Geez, I know there are things that I do that feels good but isn't good dancing.

Unless someone is a natural, it takes time to develop good technique.

IMHO a man having good technique translates into better leads, better floorcraft and better results. I think it is important for a man to have good technique for a couple to place well.

3. In my humble newbie opinion, I've picked partners based on chemistry more than skill level. It's an amazing feeling when you click on the dance floor and you can express the character of the dances to the best of your abilities... (that's the performer in me speaking). I also think that the journey of growing together with a partner of your level is very fun and exciting compared to you racing to improve in order to match a better partner.

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

For competitive dancing, in the words of Fernando Lamas, "It's better to look good than to feel good." :D

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol... yep. reminds me once again of something a coach told GJB and i more than once:

three rules of ballroom:

1) look good
    2) ...for a long time
    3) feel good

7. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Who is Fernando Lamas? How do you make yourself look good when you have butterflies in your inside?

8. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

There is a lot of acting involved in competitive ballroom.

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Fake it until you make it, as the saying goes

10. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

This presumes that the major challenge of competitive dancing is presenting the best performance when on the floor in the competition. In select cases at the top, that might be true.

But I think that in reality, most of the time, the real challenge is clearing a path of all of the potential obstacles that can get in the way of actually dancing in the moment. So many actual events are won the couple that has simply managed to do the best at staying out of the way of their own focused progress, over a long enough period of time that they can really accumulate the benefits. Of everyone who tries to be a competitive dancer, this is where most persistently fall short.

Having a partner you truly enjoy working with can be a big help in the making life as a dancer practical department.

11. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

Wow. Well said. I have printed this out and I am going to carry it in my dance bag, post it on my mirror at home and keep mulling over the wider implications for nutrition, partnership, floor-craft, comp jitters, mental preparation, choices of coaches etc.

12. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Love, love, LOVE this.

I think I'm one of the luckiest leads in the entire world because of the beautiful, wonderful, talented, hard-working follows I'm privileged enough to share a floor with at competitions. In terms of chemistry, though, I think my Rhythm partner and I take the cake.

We are not the best technically (by any stretch of the imagination). We've talked about this at length with one another and acknowledged it. But our practices are productive because we can laugh together and be completely honest with one another. She responds very acutely to my lead, and I lead with an eye towards showcasing not only her but also that connection and chemistry that we have. And we do well at competitions (we think) because the fact that we feel good (within ourselves, with each other, with the audience / judges) projects out of us and helps bring everyone watching into the party we're having. We truly trust each other, and I wouldn't give that up for anything.

The best compliment we've ever received is that we look like we love dancing with one another on the floor and are having so much fun. To me, that's worth infinitely more than the sharpest crossover break or the most perfect frame.

13. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

There it is.

14. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Yes, I do believe in chemistry between partners. In fact, I think that's one of the reasons I find it hard to do ladies event, because I can't fully 'love' my partner when I am dancing with her.

15. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Love this! :)

16. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I definitely believe in this kind of chemistry in dance--and life in general.

17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I definitely think there is chemistry between partners, I've stuck with my current partner because of that. I had an opportunity to change partners for a more technically advanced one and we practiced together some and even danced a couple competitions (I danced a level up with him and then the same level with my regular partner.) We didn't get along very well and had a difficult time practicing and it showed. I ended up staying with my partner because we just get along better and I get more enjoyment out of dancing with him than the other guy even though he is technically better.

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

We were able to "sell" so many of our showcases and other performances because of the chemistry...

19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Chemistry makes a difference for the better.

20. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

It's not always possible, I know, but it's sooo wonderful when the chemistry is not from acting. I know that first-hand... :)