Do you have a favorite tango: overall or by orquestra?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangomaniac, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

Here is the one that have caught my ear and soul very recently.

2. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

I've listened to about 80% of my tango CDs and now know the names of some tango. (Remembering them is something else. I now know how to remember Re-Fa-Si.) I've updated my excel spreadsheet for missing and thrown away CDs and typos. Basic data is album name, selection name, CD number (if part of a set), cut number, and a code for orchestra. All the Pugliese CDs are coded "Pugliese" even though his name may not be in the album name or may be in the name at the beginning or end of the album name. For example, Osvaldo Pugliese "Maestro del Tango" and "Tangos Famosos: Osvaldo Pugliese y su Orquestra" will grouped together. In straight alphabetical order, they wouldn't be near each other on the spreadsheet.

I have three sorts of the data. The first is just name of the CD. The second tab is sorted by selection name and Orchestra code. (Now I see how many recordings I have of A La Gran Muneca.) I made a mistake in thinking that if I bought 5 CDs of Di Sarli (15 selections each) I'd have 75 Di Sarli tangos. I have 75 tangos by Di Sarli, but maybe only 65 unique recordings as Bahia Blanco is on all five. (I don't think I was a smart CD shopper.) The capitalization of words isn't consistent. Sometimes I see "del" and other times "DEL."

The last tab is sorted by orchestra, album name and the selections from the jacket.

This has been a good exercise in learning names of music. I probably should have done this earlier but life has greatly slowed down since I retired and especially since I moved to New York. Now I have the time.

3. tangomaniac

4. tangomaniac

I'm almost finished listening to all my CDs. Recuerdo is the name of a tango AND a vals. I thought one was the orchestration of the other but the melodies aren't the same. I'm not aware of any other tango and vals that have the SAME name.

5. tangomaniac

I finally finished listening to all my CDs and updating inventory on my excel spreadsheet. What an undertaking. The most amazing thing was the wrong CD was inserted into a case by the music company. OR they put the wrong jacket in the case. Fortunately, I was able to find the music jacket on the internet. (Very few CDs list the selection names on the CD.)

Even though I'll never remember the titles of all the music, it was a worthwhile experience.

Sometimes, the name of the music is embedded in the lyrics, e.g. Gricel and Farol.

I didn't realize when I bought a Di Sarli CD of 20 tangos, that five would be on other CDs. My spreadsheet has about 1800 lines but lots of duplicates. I wish I had this list before I bought CDs.

6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

The next step will be to replace the release date of those cds by the individual release dates for every single piece. That finally will release you from the spell of labels, cds, and collections, too, and lets you focus on the historical order of sessions and singers.

7. tangomaniac

I'll be content just knowing the orquestra and title.

8. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

My new addiction song

9. tangomaniac

opendoor likes this.
  10. tangomaniac

After listening to about 10 Pugliese CDs, I've been able to find a favorite. It was very difficult because he recorded so many good ones. But favorite is a superlative which means one. And the winner is

De Floreo.

You may not know the name, but you've heard it.

What makes it distinctive? It's a very intense tango. I love how the tango slows to a stop at :32. Then it picks up with a dramatic solo violin.

Enjoy.

11. regis

regis Active Member

Only because I didn't know where else to put this ...

so, would this be a tango?

12. tangomaniac

Doesn't sound like tango. I don't know what it is.

regis likes this.
  13. opendoor

Difficult, it´s a fusion of indifolk (aka alternative) and indian music (quarter tone scales). I would tag it as "non-tango", or "tango-able" only to indicate that this piece is somehow related to tango. Thanks for sharing, really interesting stuff.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    regis likes this.
  14. sixela

sixela Active Member

Favourite Garcia (competing successfully with a Di Sarli/Podestá version, no small feat for a Disarlisto like me!)

I still have to take revenge (for the time the DJ started a tanda with this song and then switched over to Malerba).

15. Cal

Cal Active Member

I don't really either like or dislike traditional or new orquestras or songs. But there is one tango CD that I will sit and listen to: Mi Buenos Aires Querido: Tango Among Friends. It's the collection of tangos that were played by Daniel Barenboim, Rodolfo Mederos and Hector Console. I find the piano in particular to be simply exquisite and it stirs a contempative mood in me when I listen to the CD. (Maybe it's no else's cup of tea....)

16. tangomaniac

Went to a milonga and yesterday and heard this tango. Unlike other times, this time I peeked at the DJs lap top and discovered my favorite D'Arienzo tango. (I was surprised it was D'Arienzo.) I'm amazed it's NOT included on any of my CDs. I don't know how it could be overlooked by the producers when there are other tangos I wouldn't miss.

This is a tango to dance with somebody special. Don't waste it on just anyone.

17. opendoor

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  18. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

It's a great tango but rather like seaside rock it has the letters D'Arienzo/Biagi running right through from one end to the other. Who else could it be?

19. UKDancer

I doubt it: it was released on Victor, just like everything else of the period. https://tango.info/02480002761297 I wonder when the film was made - I hadn't seen it before and the comparison is interesting. It doesn't sound like Biagi on piano, for example.

opendoor likes this.
  20. UKDancer