Do you have a favorite tango: overall or by orquestra?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangomaniac, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

Here is the one that have caught my ear and soul very recently.

2. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

I've listened to about 80% of my tango CDs and now know the names of some tango. (Remembering them is something else. I now know how to remember Re-Fa-Si.) I've updated my excel spreadsheet for missing and thrown away CDs and typos. Basic data is album name, selection name, CD number (if part of a set), cut number, and a code for orchestra. All the Pugliese CDs are coded "Pugliese" even though his name may not be in the album name or may be in the name at the beginning or end of the album name. For example, Osvaldo Pugliese "Maestro del Tango" and "Tangos Famosos: Osvaldo Pugliese y su Orquestra" will grouped together. In straight alphabetical order, they wouldn't be near each other on the spreadsheet.

I have three sorts of the data. The first is just name of the CD. The second tab is sorted by selection name and Orchestra code. (Now I see how many recordings I have of A La Gran Muneca.) I made a mistake in thinking that if I bought 5 CDs of Di Sarli (15 selections each) I'd have 75 Di Sarli tangos. I have 75 tangos by Di Sarli, but maybe only 65 unique recordings as Bahia Blanco is on all five. (I don't think I was a smart CD shopper.) The capitalization of words isn't consistent. Sometimes I see "del" and other times "DEL."

The last tab is sorted by orchestra, album name and the selections from the jacket.

This has been a good exercise in learning names of music. I probably should have done this earlier but life has greatly slowed down since I retired and especially since I moved to New York. Now I have the time.
  3. tangomaniac

4. tangomaniac

I'm almost finished listening to all my CDs. Recuerdo is the name of a tango AND a vals. I thought one was the orchestration of the other but the melodies aren't the same. I'm not aware of any other tango and vals that have the SAME name.
  5. tangomaniac

I finally finished listening to all my CDs and updating inventory on my excel spreadsheet. What an undertaking. The most amazing thing was the wrong CD was inserted into a case by the music company. OR they put the wrong jacket in the case. Fortunately, I was able to find the music jacket on the internet. (Very few CDs list the selection names on the CD.)

Even though I'll never remember the titles of all the music, it was a worthwhile experience.

Sometimes, the name of the music is embedded in the lyrics, e.g. Gricel and Farol.

I didn't realize when I bought a Di Sarli CD of 20 tangos, that five would be on other CDs. My spreadsheet has about 1800 lines but lots of duplicates. I wish I had this list before I bought CDs.
  6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

The next step will be to replace the release date of those cds by the individual release dates for every single piece. That finally will release you from the spell of labels, cds, and collections, too, and lets you focus on the historical order of sessions and singers.
  7. tangomaniac

I'll be content just knowing the orquestra and title.
  8. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

My new addiction song
  9. tangomaniac

opendoor likes this.