Do you REALLY understand rule 11? Tie for 2nd...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by elisedance, Feb 17, 2008.

?

Who won in the tie for 2nd place? (see post #1)

1. Couple A

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. Couple B

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Tied

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Don't have a frigging clue

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Huh. We didn't get even an 'ah', let alone an 'ooooh'. come to think of it they never anounced anything either. I demand a re-enactment!!

2. callen

callen New Member

Couple A.

I think my craziest one was a 7-couple final at nationals years ago in pre-champ smooth. There were three separate rule 11's if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, we ended up in 2nd place instead of 1st on one of those rule 11's.

Christopher

3. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

I remember, back in the days of hand scrutineering, giving the MC a go-ahead to start announcing results, because I would be finished with the last ones by the time she got to them (I had all the marks entered, just hadn't calculated the results). The last event to be announced (open smooth, I think - it's more prone to Rule-11 ties because there are an even number of dances) had three different Rule 11s. I was frantically trying to resolve the last one as the MC reached for the piece of paper. :doh: (It was the worst possible case for timing - both couples had equal majorities of 5ths and above, so I had to add up all the marks to determine the winner.)

When she saw what was happening, she called for a round of applause for the scrutineer, and pointed out that I'd been working continuously without a bathroom break for seven hours at that point. I got a standing ovation, which I acknowledged by standing up, with my head still down and still trying to count that darn final. :)

4. dancika1992

dancika1992 New Member

Rule 11

I just competed at la classique du quebec and i competed in the ladies A division for the pro/am 5 dance scholarship..
    i came 2nd and the organiser of the competition (who happens to be my coach) told me i tied for first but was given 2nd due to rule 11

does this actually exist ? if so, would someone care to explain the whole meaning behind rule 11 ? :p

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Dancika, there definitely is a rule 11, used to break ties.

That being said, I definitely can't explain it, so someone here will have to help you. It's a somewhat controversial rule. There's obviously more than one way to break a tie, and not everyone agrees with rule 11.

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Oh, and congratulations on doing so well. :)

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

THanks moderator who remains unnamed. ;) I knew there'd been some threads on this before, but was too tired to search.

8. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Ditto! Thanks, moderator who remains unnamed! ;)

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Congratulations, dancika! :applause:

It's good they didn't have to go all the way to Rule 21 to break the tie. ;)

10. reb

reb Active Member

Rule 11 - its really easy - go back a couple pages in this same thread to post #17 & #18 . . .

(thanks etp and TC)

11. dancika1992

dancika1992 New Member

do i want to know what rule 21 is ? haha or does that actually not exist

and thanks everyone for sharing :D
    just thinking thats a little unfair however.:mad:

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I started to write this out as a 'simple' statement and then gave up - I'd follow Reb's advice ;)

Oh, and CONGRATS and not only on this result but also on the others which were even better ;)

13. BasicsFirst

BasicsFirst New Member

I've never heard any controversy surrounding the rule (sure when someone LOSES to it).

Yes there is ONE other way... Rule 10 (which they will use first before going to Rule 11). For those who read this and won't go digging back to post ####, simply put: Line up all the marks from all judges and all dances (for each competitor) and score the event as if it were all ONE dance.

14. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Yeah I wouldn't say its controversial, just fairly rare (and often the MC doesn't mention when its used) so a lot of dancers don't get exposed to it.

15. Terpsichorean Clod

You would doubt veterans like Joe and Egoist? ;)

16. The_Maverick

The_Maverick New Member

Agreed it's not controversial but can involve alot of work. Worst part is that they normally crop up in the last final of 10 hour day and involve 5 dances and 7 judges

17. liz

liz New Member

I have had my results go to rule 11 a couple of times.. But, never in my favor..sniff, sniff... I hate that stupid rule 11..

18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF The_Maverick!

19. The_Maverick

The_Maverick New Member

I hate it as well but I think for different reasons!!!

20. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

i too have lost to Rule #11 many a time..... darn Rule #11...