Does dancing make you question who you are?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by brujo, Dec 7, 2005.

1. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

Sigh. I currently don't have that kind of time. I will have to use other means.
  2. diputs

diputs New Member

One of my regrets in life (I have many) is that I haven't and I am not able to dance more. I do not know the person that I am when I dance. Dancing allows me a freedom that I have not found in any other area of my life. A freedom of life.

Recently my job has made me miss two nights of dancing. It was interesting to see how mad it made me to have to miss the nights of dancing. It felt like I was giving up that one thing that allowed me to get through the week.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

a famous theologian once said that the definition of vocation (from the latin referring to voice)...is that our voice/vocation is that where our deepest joy meets the world's deepest need.....I find that dancing gives me the joy neccessary to be able to be open to meeting the world's deepest needs.....so it makes sense that if dance is your vocation, you will feel frustrated without it....I get the DTs after three days without a lesson;)
  4. diputs

diputs New Member

"intimately, independently, our hearts roar down the same track, and our dance thunders...."

fascination, what is this from.
  5. Medira

Medira New Member

I sacrifice a lot for the time that I do get, but it's worth it to me. Once things change, as they always do in life, then I'll probably have to adjust...however, this is working for me for now.
  6. Laura

Laura New Member

To answer the question:

Every damn day.

But then, life kind of does that to me, dancing or not.
  7. FTL

FTL New Member

In your line of work I would have to agree with you.:cool:
  8. brujo

brujo New Member

Dude! You got to see Atlantis on a Tuesday before you badmouth salsa clubs any further :p
  9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yup. Exactly, Laura. Life makes me question who I am. Edit: [​IMG]
  10. fascination

my poetic soul:cool:
  11. fascination

yea well I'm surprised that with all the typos anyone could even understand what I was saying...had to go back and mega edit myself:rolleyes:
  12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You do have a pretty intense dance schedule. I can relate, though. I've had that in the past and probably will in the future, as well. Right now, I'm taking it a little easier. The six nights a week thing got old, for me. I had to find a different balance that involved non-dance activities. But I suspect it's all cyclical. I may well be back up to six nights a week again soon. Just not yet.
  13. Stiletto One

Stiletto One New Member

Joining in late...

Dance didn't make me question my identity, although it did clarify it. Since I've taken up dance, I've become a lot more friendly and a lot more sexual than I used to be, while also becoming less creepy (according to my friends). More assertive and such, too, while cutting back a bit on the assholishness. Dance is a bit of expression for me, and it's nice to have a vaguely creative outlet—I still feel kind of sad about quitting trumpet, although I still have the thing lying in my room.
  14. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Interesting topic, Brujo.

That's what happened to me. My ex believed my obsession for salsa broke our marriage; the truth was, the marriage was already broken as far as I was concerned -- only salsa made me face that truth.

I wouldn't say dancing made me question about me or changed me. It's more like, dancing reminded me who I was.

Before I took up salsa, I was known as someone who was shy, quiet, reserved, an introvert who kept herself to herself, stand-offish even. I had few friends and no one close (I lost contact with my old friends when I moved to the UK), and was emotionally dependent on my ex. I took up solitary hobbies to keep myself occupied. Then salsa came along by chance. I felt like a different person when dancing. I felt rejuvenated, was happy, full of energy and life and afraid of nothing. Then, slowly, it occurred to me that this new persona was me, my old self; that there was a time -- when I did a lot of singing and dancing as a child/young adult -- when I was outgoing, social, open, confident and wasn't afraid of expressing myself. So through dance, I got reunited with my lost self, liked her a lot and decided to hang around with her, so to speak. My ex didn't like her and, I think, felt threatened. Do I have any regrets? No. I'm having the best time of my life right now. I love my life, the people around me and, importantly, myself. I'm happy :cool:.
  15. amrimi

amrimi New Member

That's nearly exactly the same as what happend to me because of Salsa, only that I had to wait until my early twenties for it to happen.
  16. Quimbly

Quimbly New Member

Dancing transformed me a lot of ways. No doubt, I am much more confidant, more extroverted, more socialable because of it. I also think I just enjoy life much more in general. I've always loved music, but dancing presented me with a whole new avenue for enjoying the music, and expressing how I feel about it. I'm a musician also, so the stretch wasn't far, but dancing is just so much more personable... I can share and express how I'm feeling about some music directly, one-on-one, with another person doing the same. I normally play solo music, or in larger groups, so dancing is something very special for me.
  17. luh

luh Active Member

brujo: it answered the question :)
    luh
  18. brujo

brujo New Member

Was the answer satisfying?
  19. luh

luh Active Member

yes and no. too complicate to get it into words - to use someone else's words - 42! (just for those who have read hitchhikeres guide through the galaxy)
    luh
  20. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Yer an evil thing, quoting Douglas Adams at my face! I am suffering from serious Douglas Adams addiction syndroms. I sound like Marvin a lot. I like fjords. And sometimes I'm like the interactive computer, but only when too giddy from dancing.

Twilight Elena

P.s. That was a pointless post.