Does dancing make you question who you are?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by brujo, Dec 7, 2005.

1. luh

luh Active Member

someone had to post this answer - by the way - google programmers seem to like the book as well!
    search for answer to life, the universe and everything - look at the ansewr - i had a good laugh!
    luh

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Don't let the mice know! :cool:

3. cornutt

I totally relate to that. In dancing, you connect with your partner in a way that you don't in music, even in a band or ensemble setting.

I'm an engineer, but I've always had an artistic streak. However, for most of my life, that artistic side wasn't allowed out much. Part of the problem was discovering what I was good at; I never had much talent for the traditional visual arts that you get introduced to in grade school. I got into keyboards in my early '20s, after I graduated and got a job and could finally afford to buy decent instruments. Music is great, but it never totally satisfied my artistic streak.

I think the reason why was this: I think that everyone really has three sides to their mental makeup: the intellectual, the artistic, and the athletic. Engineering obviously is in the intellectual area; not to say that there isn't creativity involved, but the creativity is mainly in figuring out how to navigate the various constraints. You don't get to be artistic, per se. Music is both artistic and intellectual, which is great. But it doesn't really extend into the athletic area much. Dancing covers the artistic and athletic, and some of the intellectual too. It's a chance to put all the bits together and use the entire brain and body in the pursuit of a single activity.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dancing made me find who I am ...passionate and intense and vulnerable...it made me own who I am and who I want to be and what is elegant and good and right...may sound corny but is also true and real and hard and wondrous:cool: I cannot live without it...it is who I am ...through and through...and I never would have guessed it or thought it...it found me

5. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Definitely more confident. Sometimes I still can't believe it is ME out there on the dance floor. I have made many new friends and have learned to appreciate music that I would just shut out. If my kids, no, my grandkids, could see some of the music I west coast to, they would totally be surprised!

6. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Last night I realized a change in my personality. I was trying to park my car and then a car with two guys were about to take the space. So they looked at me wondering if I had planned to take the space and then I SMILED and pretended I really needed to park my car in that space. They were charmed and left the space.

(Normally I would have either left the space for them or become aggressive cause they planned to take my space).

So I used female charm and didn't feel bad about it. I'll have to think of other situations to take advantage of :twisted: ...

7. Sabor

Sabor New Member

don't know about the psychology part and dont really need to cause to me, dancing simply is one of the basic needs that i was born with.. i breath, eat, drink, sleep and i dance.

8. luh

luh Active Member

that's a good one.
    luh

9. Sabor

Sabor New Member

yeah it is isn't it.. had to dig deep inside to get that one out.. like waaay deep.. almost drowned and had a beautiful woman revive me.. yeah serious stuff.. tsk tsk

10. Big10

Big10 Member

I can definitely relate to that. Now that I frequently find myself on the floor with people of whom I was in awe a few years ago, I wonder how much I've grown -- or maybe I've just de-mystified them now that I understand the steps. Well, I'm sure it's some sort of combination of both. In any event, it would be fascinating to put the 2005 me on the dancefloor with the 2000 me watching! :)

To get back to the topic of the thread, I'm one of those people who thinks my dancing progress has revealed more answers about myself, rather than raised questions.

11. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I think my 2000 self would have had a heart attack. :lol:

Twilight Elena

12. cornutt

My 2000 self would have said, "I always knew something like this would happen sooner or later." :cool:

13. Kipling

Kipling New Member

Has dancing made you less dependent on your job and/or your spouse for your sense of self-worth?

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

LOL :cheers:

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think much depends upon how authentic one was when beginning their dance journey...dance made me realize what was missing in my life...and it challenged me to have the courage to be some of the things that I wanted to be...like; more deliberate, and patient and sensitive and cooperative ...dance made me realize who I could become if I chose to be a bit patient and courageous...and it made me more grateful for who I am with and what I do with the rest of my time...occupationally and otherwise

16. Kipling

Kipling New Member

Whenever I lose a job I feel like my whole world is collapsing. I don't think it should be that way, because "we don't live by bread alone." But my life is centered around my job and the money it brings in, so when that goes, everything goes. I know there is a thread about people who have lost their job in the economic downturn and I hope dancing is helping them make it through the hard times.

17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Brujo hasn't been around in years, so you probably won't get an answer to this, Kipling. More's the pity. It probably would have been an interesting answer. Brujo is quite a character, IIRC. *shrug*

I speculate that many don't dance through the hard times. Dancing costs money and competes with things like paying the light bill. When in financial crisis, often it's everything but the essentials must go. As much as we all think dancing is essential, when one gets to a place of choosing between dancing and food for our families, I suspect many of us would pick food, *shrug*

18. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Not uncommon.

Also not uncommon.

I've gone through 2 layoffs and kept dancing. Had to drop private lessons until I became reemployed, but there are usually inexpensive opportunities to dance around here - some free outdoor things, $10 socials, $5 socials with a free group class tossed in. Most studios charge $12 for a group class with a free practice afterwards. But I'm in a major metro area, so we might have more choices than many ppl.

19. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

It has somewhat made me question myself. But then again, it made me realise this part of me that would've stayed hidden had I not danced. A wonderful realisation, I would say, although it does come with its own pains and sacrifices.

20. It doesn't make me question myself, but it does help me to learn more about myself.

Case in point, when I was in high school, I had terrible performance anxiety. I couldn't do presentations, could be on stage, etc. That carried with me into adulthood. Participating in competitions helped me to rework my relationship with my public persona.

I reached a milestone last night at my 20 year high school reunion. I was nervous about how seeing these people 20 years would be, and wouldn't you know it, I used dancing on the meager dance space available as my security blanket. Whereas before I would just not have gone to the reunion, not only did I go and not only did I socialize with folks who I'm shocked remembered me from high school, but I went out on the dance floor with my boyfriend, us as the only couple on the floor, and had a blast.