Does dancing make you question who you are?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by brujo, Dec 7, 2005.

1. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I hear you. I used to dance with strangers at first as the party I went to was organised by a school I didn't attend so I knew noone there.
    I have been very lucky lately. To be honest, I can't believe my luck. I now have three boy friends that accompany me at parties (me and two more girls). Only a couple of nights ago, I told one of my friends that I'll call him my practice partner as the say in english meaning he is the one that helps me the most practice my moves. (If you are out there, you know I'm talking about you "TO ΠΛΟΙΟ ΓΕΡΝΕΙ!!!"). It does make a difference when you dance with someone on a regular basis. You can relax and not worry about who you are dancing with or if you are dancing with someone in the first place, so I really feel what you mean having spent so much time being out there on my own.
  2. FlyingScottie

FlyingScottie New Member

Yup - me too, and my husband is very confused!
  3. chomsky

Welcome Flying Scottie!!!
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi FlyingScottie! Welcome. :-D
  5. chomsky

Dancing makes me question my identity. I've always been depressed ever since I can remember, if not as depressed as the past 15 years, surely melancolic.
    It's only been a year now that I found a meaning in my life I never had before. It's like a rebirth, re-inventing yourself and your life...I don't know if it will last, and the thought it might not terrifies me...For the time being at least, my life is changed, I hope it remains that way.
  6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

that sounds good. dont hang too much importance on it, but on the most basic level IME it can change ones mood positively. I did some practice with a friend last night, and even the mistakes were making us laugh..especially when she tired to lead me...
  7. chomsky

right'o! even the mistakes should make us laugh!!! you rock bordertangoman!
  8. bordertangoman

might post it on FB....
  9. salsa es mi vida

salsa es mi vida New Member

It' s only since i started to dance that i started to question.One doesn't feel better one feels worse,physically,emotionally.....:(
  10. salsa es mi vida

salsa es mi vida New Member

We are all going to have different reasons why we dance...But i have seen the other side the ugly side.The egos hurt.The jelousy...Women are not kind to each other.Everyone is judge and jury(from how you dance/with who),what you wear etc... For me this is the last thing on my mind(i am what you call a rebel(not miss.know it all),i don't stick to rules,i don't tell someone how to dance(i just adopt to them)...One is a free spirit :)
  11. Nina22

Nina22 Member

Yes definitely dancing changes my entire state of mind. I work a lot and dancing takes away the stress and pressure. Often I close my eyes and just go with the beat. The best (and cheapest and healthy!) soul nurturing ingredient I know of.

I've never done partner dancing before tango and that completely changed everything I had ever experienced about dancing before. Tuning into another person 400% is the most crazy, wild, intriguing, interesting, scary & wonderful experience ever. At least for 3 minutes :-D
  12. bordertangoman

there's a lot of that about

"Approval and disapproval alike satisfy those who deliver it more than those who receive it. I don't care for approval, and I don't mind doing without.”
    ― Gregory Maguire

since I teach i dont judge unless you ask me to, or i feel I can help you, or simply I want a better quality of dance with you. I may be the best dancer around, I may does it matter if I am or even if I think i am, or if somebody elese thinks so. Not a whit!*

*whit; a small warbler like bird now extinct**

** I made this up
  13. chomsky

keep teaching!
  14. bordertangoman

:lol: