Does imagery help you in your dance?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by jestefeste, Aug 21, 2010.

1. jestefeste

jestefeste New Member

i remember in ballet class (centuries ago for me) my instructor used to tell us to imagine standing on CD covers when learning our demi-pointes and that's how we learn to align our feet properly. then in modern, our instructor used to scream at the top of her lungs, "SMILE, but not with your face, with your body" to help us learn extensions or "IMAGINE JUST EATING REALLY SPICY CHILI" when doing floor work. a friend also taught me to imagine imitating a top when doing spins.

do you use imagery in your dance? does it really help? if yes, what kind of imagery?

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think we may have a thread on this b/c I know I have shared amny of them...I guess these for me fall more into the category of nanalogies than imagery, as I think there of envisioninghow I want something to transpire...but, at any rate, I was once told to stand as if I was trying to gan a tan on my collar bones...as in lifting them to feel the warmth of the son...I find that very useful

3. GoldStar

GoldStar Member

Thank you for that advice.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

you are welcome...thank you for tolerating the massive spelling errors...that was clearly before coffee

5. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I've personally found imagery to be useless. I guess I'm just not a visual learner.

6. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

When doing tango, I picture a black panther or jaguar sneaking up on its prey.

7. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I first need to have it explained to me in a very technical and physical way. Once I go through it a few times, then I pick an imagery for myself to associate with a feeling. Like right now I'm working on something regarding not pushing or pulling the woman in Tango and I managed to associate that feeling as if I'm carrying a basket around.

But, the problem here is that if you only gave me an imagery to work with at the very beginning, I wouldn't understand. There's a popular Standard pro here that love to use this imagery for going into a promenade link. "Just imagine that you are slapping the woman and catching her." Unfortunately, I haven't had any experience slapping a woman around, so it didn't work well for me.

8. sarah-orchid

sarah-orchid New Member

Imagining

I find imagery really useful when dancing, especially when learning a new dance. Dancing can be about escaping and imagining is a part of that for me, like imagining a scene from like Zorro when doing a tango, if you see what I mean?
    When I was younger we had all sort of imagination tricks to help us learn dances and positions properly, such as imagining you had a pail of water on your head when tap dancing that if you moved too vigorously would shatter and fall - worked for me!

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I like imagery. But more so I like simply having a clear idea of what I want to achieve.

If i want to move 5 feet on this patter I can see a very clear spot on the floor where I want to end vs. a pattern that i want to end about 20 feet away. I note where my end position should be and do everything in my power to get to that spot. I find that most people just have some vauge idea of "this pattern goes fwd", without any clear idea just how far or where fwd is.

I like to see the "lobes" on the floor that the routine will trace, and make mental notes of the geometric pattern we will move through as we cross the floor.

10. GoldStar

GoldStar Member

I'll join you guys.

Imaginary is really the best way to learn for me.

For example, the cuban motion I couldn't understand for week or two I learnt by an imaginery image my instructor told me - "Think like your waists are brushes and you want to paint the walls which are in the both sides of your waists".

I belive what fasicnation told here helped me very much.. only my teacher is able to tell.

please, guys, girls, give more imaginary pictures it is very usefull to me and I belive to others to!

Thank you in advance,
    and im sorry about my lame english.

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

When doing a routine, it seems to help us to think of it as a journey with a plan. We anticipate what we are going to do to reach each juncture of this journey...

12. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of making up dumb metaphors and imagery :D

Of course, my favorite imagery isn't dumb; it came from one of my favorite coaches. He told us to imagine a giant bubble between our heads: we need to rotate around it so we don't "pop" it. It's meant to help you stay out of your partner's space and shape correctly when turning.

13. Imagery is great. In Samba I like to tell people to think of rebounding with their knees - much like a basketball does.