Donating Dancesport Wear to College Teams

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Good points made. I just figured that this thread, and the spirit of donating dancewear to college teams to begin with, is that costumes and dancewear is too expensive for the team to justifiably spend money on... as in, if my team had any money, it would go towards more lessons, or getting ourselves an mp3 player for music, etc. That is also the main focus for our fundraisers. Costumes and dancewear would be wonderful to have, but in the grand scheme of things, they are not top priority on a poor college team's budget. That is why we appreciate clothing donations so much, because it gives us something we won't ever get otherwise.
    I'm fine with trading. Just the thought of cashing them out for money, I don't know why, but I don't like as much. I guess I just think it is easier to fundraise for money than receiving clothes perfect for dancers.

2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

<bump>

I have 3 chiffon ballroom skirts, 3 lycra ballroom skirts, and 3 latin dresses. Would love to get them to a team that needs them. I'm in the NY area; if this means you, LMK. There are also some shoes. I have to edit.

@19DBL: yes this is the stash we talked about last year. I'm literally cleaning house, and want these to go somewhere they'll be used, rather than Goodwill.

3. UPenn Ballroom

UPenn Ballroom New Member

Hi j_alexandra,

My name is Michael Borochin, President of the University of Pennsylvania Ballroom Dance Team (pennballroom [dot] com). I would really appreciate getting any dance wear you have available. The team has quite a few newer members looking for shoes and costumes. We'd be more than happy to pay your shipping costs. Please let me know at askplbd[at]gmail[dot]com

Thanks,
    Michael

4. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I know we (UMD) are having to sell things just because the Student Union took away our storage space and they don't really fit in our office anymore. Mostly we just sell them to our members who want to buy and use them. After that, they are theirs and they can do what they like with them.

We've got a lot of old junky "costumes" (more like prom dresses someone donated as dance wear) that won't really fit anyone and won't look good on most (don't move well at all). We'd rather have only real costumes that are going to fit and look good. I just bought an old costume that was in a bad state of disrepair off the team. I'm going to fix it up, maybe wear it one or two times, then sell it so that I can use the proceeds to make another. I'd love to get to the point where I can make nice costumes for the girls on my team for around $500 or less. The raw materials for nice costumes, fabric, etc, just cost that much, the labor cost would be minimal so they could look great and not break the bank. One day...

5. j_alexandra

received pm from member of your team; check with her. I'll pack them up and let you know what the shipping costs will be. Enjoy!

6. Hi JA, I have had a bad past 1/2 year... won't go into much details, but I'll just mention that there was a possibility of me terminating my studies. So sorry I never made it up to NYC to get them from you. When we last talked, you weren't inclined to ship the items... If you are willing to ship them now, my team would still love to have the items, and we would be able to reimburse shipping as well as provide a tax-deduction receipt. If you've already decided to send them elsewhere, I totally understand too, and thanks for keeping us in mind.

7. We don't have a storage space either, or an office for that matter. I am storing our inventory in my apartment. At least it sounds like you guys have a good stash; we only have 1 costume. I might kill for some of those "junky costumes"...

8. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Well, if you are at DCDI come find me and we'll talk. We usually have a costume sale if I remember correctly (or at least we did last year.) Let me know and we'll see what we can do!

9. j_alexandra

Lin, I am so sorry, but I have committed the stash to Penn. Also v sorry to hear about your bad year; I feel your pain... And I feel bad about dropping the ball. Wah! My bad!

10. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

The BU team has just recently started having team costumes. We are looking a lot for syllabus wear for our newbies, etc. But other costumes are also greatly appreciated. WE have a lot of stuff collected for latin/rhythm so mostly longer skirts and dresses for standard/smooth, but all is accepted. E-mail the team at ballroom@bu.edu

11. GoHokies

GoHokies New Member

Virginia Tech aka Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Our old contact isn't super active on these forums since he graduated, so feel free to add ballroompresident@vt.edu as the contact for our team. We're still looking for mostly the same things:

Most of the members (~8-10, hopefully increasing!) are bronze dancers, we are hoping for donations of dance shoes, pants and skirts (costume are welcome too, but we find it a little bit harder to dress the beginners) to encourage new members to compete and dance more. Technique books are also welcome. The team has no coach, so donations of your time or practice space are equally welcome and perhaps more valuable!

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

you might want to post the need for some volunteer coaching in a new thread...just to help your cause...

13. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Done.

14. Ajmooch

Ajmooch New Member

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo's DanceSport team is accepting Costume, Shoe and Practicewear donations. You can contact us at info@cpdst dot org. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out =)

15. latingal

Welcome to DF Ajmooch!

Your team has been added to the master list in the first post....

16. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Could the NYU team possibly be added to the list too? Any costumes, shoes, practicewear, and ballroom paraphernalia would be appreciated. Donators can PM me directly or e-mail us at ballroomteam.club@nyu.edu. Thank you!

17. latingal

done Dlliba!

18. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

VU Ballroom (the ballroom team at Valparaiso University, in Valparaiso, Indiana) would LOVE any donations that anyone would be willing to make.

We currently have only 1 team dress (recently acquired). We would be very grateful for any kind of dancewear/costume or shoes, either sex, any size, any style, any condition, as well as any other ballroom supplies you might want to offload.

We can provide receipts and are very willing to work out shipping costs/pick-ups.

My name is Christine and I'm a captain on my team and will gladly serve as the contact. The team email is VU.Ballroom [at] gmail [dot] com. Feel free to contact me by PM or email!

This is such a wonderful idea! :)

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

welcome to df...I will be in touch with you about this...

20. latingal

Yes, welcome to DF Silmarwen! I will add you to the master list asap!