Donating Dancesport Wear to College Teams

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Apr 7, 2009.

1. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Please send my best to RPI if you think of it. I would love to attend their event next year. It is always nice to support other teams. Kudos to you all.
  2. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Do you have a team meeting this week? Send me an email ttlead (at) comcast (dot) net
  3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate a little bit on what would be most useful?
    There's: "Our team members have no shoes. They dance in socks. With holes in them. And they stand on the sidewalk holding cans begging for spare change."
    Or: "We have some team members moving up in the ranks and it would be great if we had a nice ballgown or latin dress for competitions."

:p
  4. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

I tried sending you an email like a week ago, but never got a response so I'm not sure if you're getting my emails? We don't have team meetings too often, probably our next one won't be for at least another couple weeks.
  5. MissSongbird

MissSongbird Member

Out of the three, practice clothing would be the most practical. Every semester we have problems getting appropiate clothing on our dancers. We always have a struggle to find affordable clothing that would be good to dance in, especailly at comps.

Shoes would be next. Most of the dancers have shoes, but there are several people who cannot afford to buy shoes of their own. Some have gone semesters without appropiate shoes because of this.
  6. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

We are unable to give away additional merchandise as we have already gone over budget but I am more than happy to offer ridiculously low prices on the practice wear I have in stock. If any teams are interested in maybe 30% off my regular prices you may private message me and I can send a list of what I have. I don't mind dropping prices to help.:)
    pygmalion likes this.
  7. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Err... not to be argumentative, but shoes should be #1. You can buy (or even make) skirts and dresses cheap at thrift stores, and men should have at least one set of black slacks and button-up. They might not be "dancewear," but they work just fine. Nothing can replace dance shoes.
    Vero, dlliba10, stash and 1 other person like this.
  8. Janson

Janson Active Member

Hi there! I wonder if it would be possible to put in a request for a non-USA University (England)? There does seem to be one other institution on the list from out of the States. From what I've seen the board is primarily American, but I believe I've seen a few fellow countrymen (and women!) around. I thought it might be worth a try.
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Contacting Latingal is the most direct way to get a listing here!
    Janson likes this.
  10. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Hey Janson, I'm having a clear out this summer and will PM you if there's anything my uni team doesn't snatch up. Are you after anything in particular? I think the team might still be selling off dresses to raise funds for the club.
    Janson likes this.
  11. Janson

Janson Active Member

Exeter University DanceSport Society (England)
    Hello, I would just like to say that we are also looking for donations of dancewear for use in competitions. Male and female: shoes, syllabus-level practice wear, dresses, shirts, trousers. Anything that still has even a little bit of life left in it.
    We've so far not built up a wardrobe of team owned clothing, but would love to start.
    Please contact myself (Team Captain) via DF or on tak202[at]exeter.ac.uk
  12. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Hi everyone! I am one of two competition directors for the Texas Ballroom club at the University of Texas at Austin. Our club right now is mostly oriented around social dancing, but in the coming year we have plans on starting up a competition team! So far we have a handful of members that compete, but many are intimidated by the high price of dancewear, costumes, and shoes and thus refrain from doing so. That being said, we could use anything that anyone would be willing to give us as long as it is still in wearable condition! We would like to stress that as of now, costumes would probably be the most helpful, since many members interested in competing have usable ballroom shoes. However, if anyone has shoes in good condition, we would definitely be interested as well. If you guys have any questions, or would be interested in donating to us please email us at txb.competitiondirectors(at)gmail.com Your help is super appreciated. Thanks for your consideration, and we hope to hear from you soon! :joyful:

[email address corrected by moderator per DF member's later posting]
  13. Nicole17

Nicole17 New Member

Hello! I'm currently president of the William and Mary ballroom dance club. When I first joined most of our club consisted of lower-level dancers, but with people rapidly moving up to higher levels there's an increasing demand for competition costumes. We're also expanding the number of showcases we perform each semester and even using them for fundraising purposes, so if anyone has and unwanted showcase or competition dresses/accessories we would greatly appreciate them! We have members with a wide variety of body types and several with basic costume tailoring skills, so even if the item in question is a strange size or needs a little TLC we'd be happy to have it. Any instructional DVDs/books/pamphlets you have lying around in the living room cabinet would also be incredibly helpful - we can only afford to get a professional instructor out to our campus once a week, so we're constantly looking for ways to learn on our own. If anyone has any questions or is interested in donating you can email our club's account at ballroomdance01[at]email.wm.edu. If you do donate something, especially a costume, we'll do our best to get a video of the showcase or competition it was worn at on our youtube channel so you can see how much it was appreciated! Thanks for your time and keep us in mind the next time you clean out your dance closet. :D
  14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Looking to donate several pair of dance shoes, all in US women's size 8 (more or less). Please contact me for details. Two pair of Supadance Smooth shoes, two pair of court shoes, and a Latin sandal.
  15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Shoes are promised.
    latingal likes this.
  16. Kpacota

Kpacota New Member

Great post!
  17. Kpacota

Kpacota New Member

I am looking to donate two pairs too..
  18. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Through the generosity of our two donors so far, we have been able to costume a few very deserving members of our team and provide lovely standard shoes (one completely crystalled) to two girls who have been needing them for a long while. The makeup that was sent our way has also been a huge help with getting everyone competition ready that might not have the money to afford such luxurious cosmetics. Thank you so much to these people!!
    Sania, middy, nikkitta and 1 other person like this.
  19. Hello all, so I happen to have come across a large stock of Video Cassettes Released by Dance Vision in the place that I work. These are very old Video tapes, but the content is roughly the same as some of the older DVDs they released. There are tapes for smooth, rhythm, latin, WCS, Standard, and a variety of other dance related topics. If any teams are interested, I can see about shipping these tapes out to you guys. I know they are out dated, but if your classrooms have VHS capabilities or you have a way to convert them to digital media, then they could be useful resources. Especially if your team does not have the funds for consistent coaching. PM me or reply to my comment if you are interested. :)
  20. enewbury

enewbury New Member

The University of Vermont team has been growing a lot in recent years but without much additional funding from the school so it has been a struggle getting people started and supporting current members as much as we'd like. I know that any donations of shoes and dancewear etc. would really benefit our club and would be much appreciated. Please email me at enewbury[at]uvm.edu if you can donate anything. I will be going to many competitions this semester and could potentially pick up items in person.