Donating Dancesport Wear to College Teams

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Apr 7, 2009.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Thanks to those of you who will be looking through their closets for items to donate.

It would be great if we DF members could help out the budding dance communities at the college level. They do so much to provide low cost learning situations for college age (and other people) who end up being ballroom dancers for life!

2. TAK

TAK Member

The Stanford team definitely accepts both stoned and non-stoned costumes, as well as shoes.

Thanks so much for starting this thread!

3. Like Tanya mentioned, it varies. We'll use the stoned costumes for showcases, formal fundraising parties/masquerade balls, and sometimes some collegiate competitions allow costumes too.

Yeah, in fact I would say this is a higher priority for us than anything else. You can dance without a costume, but you can't do much without shoes.

Wow I can't even begin to explain how great this feels and how appreciative I am! It's been such an uphill battle getting my team started. I have almost 100 beginners on team, and yet I had to strongarm the administration before we even got 3 hours of room space a week for lessons. We only just secured our practice space thanks to ROTC for letting us use their drill hall. And with DFers' help, I'm positive the team will take off! Yay I'm excited!!!!!

4. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

Where do we send the donations? I have a pair of new standard shoes and couple pairs of latin shoes that I worn may twice for a practice, they just not my cup of tea (I do not compete in Latin), I will go thru my closet this week to look at the costumes.

5. I am on the UPenn Ballroom team and am also a current board member-- we will also accept shoes and practice wear and we could also probably reimburse shipping costs. It would be helpful to include price estimates with your donations for your tax write off purposes.

Also a huge thank you to everyone who is considering donating to any of the teams, we are all really grateful for the support and we hope to put your extra stuff to good use.

6. latingal

Go back to the first post in this thread...I am maintaining a list of teams & contact members that would accept donations. You'll be able to pick a team or teams to donate to, there is a contact name and/or email to get an address...

Thank you jerseydancer!

7. Alex.T.H

Alex.T.H New Member

Harvard Ballroom Dance Team is looking for donated items, especially Men's Latin and Women's Standard Costumes. We promise to make good use of donations.

Message me or contact us at captain@harvardballroom.org and we will be happy to arrange for local pick-up. We'll pay transport costs. All donations will be greatly appreciated.

8. latingal

Welcome to DF Alex.T.H!

I'll add Harvard to the list of ballroom teams accepting donations!

9. Anna

Anna New Member

I help out with the Princeton dance team. The team has quadrupled in the past couple years, which is great! but we are scrambling to outfit all the newbies. Practice skirts (for newcomers), standard or latin dresses, and shoes would all be tremendously appreciated.

The team president Andrew would be delighted to hear from you - asue@Princeton.EDU

10. kimV6

kimV6 New Member

I'm not a eBoard member anymore, but still an active coach for GW's Ballroom team.

We have absolutely no stipulations for what we will take on, because honestly, we're a poor college team. However, I will say we already have enough 80s style ballroom dresses with crazy ostrich feathers, so you can keep those :p

Anybody in the DC/MD/VA area who wants to donate, can e-mail the team at ballroom@gwu.edu or you can PM me with any other questions.

Depending on the quality, we can probably arrange pick-up or mail reimbursement, and can look into tax writeoffs.

11. latingal

My goodness there are a lot of college teams in need...I do hope that our members will keep them in mind when looking to shed a few dancesport items! Will add Princeton and GW to the list.

By the way, it's been since the stone age that I've been in college guys...please use less abbrievated versions of your names so I can figure out where you are! (thanks kimV6 for including your area)

12. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think this should be a sticky.

13. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Did u put Columbia University on your list?

14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

You're first one up there, nonies. :)

15. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

ok good... i knew that i had posted but I didn't know if there was some master list going on LOL.... should I provide the DF public with a contact email?

16. URIBallroom

URIBallroom New Member

Hello all,

We would love it if anyone would like to donate anything to our team. Our team does not own any costumes (men's or ladies) or practice wear at all. Our members compete at most New England-area college comps and do several showcases throughout the year, so any donations would definitely be appreciated and will be put to good use!

We are happy to provide any documentation/letters etc you need for your donation...and I believe we have tax-exempt status as well.

To work out details, please PM me and I'll give you my personal email...for privacy reasons I'd prefer not to put in on a public forum page.

Thanks so much!

17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Welcome to DF, URIB. I assume from your nick this stands for University of Rhode Island?

18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Seeing as that's the listed location, I'd assume so... but as latingal requested, to all university teams, please spell out who you are! (In other words, make it easy for those who are not familiar with different school acronyms but are considering donating to you!)

19. Bella

Bella New Member

This is wonderful! I'll have to pass this on to my dress maker and see if she has any she can donate! Very cool Lin :)

20. Oh yay thank you very much Bella!!! *eternally grateful* :D