Donating Dancesport Wear to College Teams

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Apr 7, 2009.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hi AMeader,

Are you willing to be the DF contact for your team? If so, I will add your college to the master list in the first post of this thread. And you are looking for just costumes yes? Or are you looking for practice wear and shoes too?
  2. TAK

TAK Member

Dancerman, I guess this is not relevant to the teams to which you are thinking of distributing, but the Stanford team would be more than happy to get shoe donations. I'm sure other teams would as well--it's great for new people, especially students on a budget, to have proper shoes to wear for e.g. their first competition even if they haven't bought their own pair yet.
  3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

dancerman, please feel free to use the "Staff Mailbox" (the "Private Messages to Staff" forum). ;)
  4. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Are you in California?
    Actually it is quite relevant because I would love to see others on board with the same idea. I don't think, IMO, that helping College students is limited to certain geographics.
    We have in the past donated some surplus inventory locally but only because the opportunity afforded itself.
    I have had many people buy shoes from us while telling us of closets adorned with ill fitting dance . Why not get people to turn them over?
    Thanks for the reply.

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Great, thanks! (And yes, that's best as it facilitates a dialog between you and all of the staff members simultaneously. :))
  6. TAK

TAK Member

Yep, I'm in CA!

Based on my 1 yr dancing with a New England college team, it seems like since there are more colleges (and maybe more ballroom dancers per capita too?) in New England/NY, there is more of a norm of donating to teams over there. I could be wrong though. Would love to get people to think of college teams for their hand-me-downs on the West Coast too!

7. latingal

Actually in the master list on the first post, I do list what the colleges have indicated in their posts that they need. It ranges from practice wear, to shoes, to costumes....

and yes, many of them have indicated they'd love to have donations of shoes! (gently worn or new I would assume)
  8. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Latingal, would you be able to add "practice wear" to the Columbia listing??? I just realized that non blinged out dresses would be exceedingly handy for newcomers from any college... considering as many newcomers are not allowed to wear sparklies on the comp floor.... Thanx!!!
  9. TAK

TAK Member

Ditto Stanford please, thank you!!
  10. latingal

Done for both Columbia and Stanford...
  11. AMeader

AMeader New Member

Donations to Bates

Yes, I am happy to be the DF contact for the team. And thank you for helping me clarify; we will accept any sort of donations (costumes, practice wear, shoes, syllabus books, music). Anything we can get!
  12. latingal

done AMeader!
  13. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Thanks, Latingal!!!! :D
  14. Andbersh

Andbersh New Member

Rutgers Ballroom

Would like to put it out there that Rutgers Ballroom located in the NJ/NY area is currently horribly short on costumes and would be thrilled to accept any and all donations!!! We are an up and coming team and would love to have some costumes, shoes, or practicewear for our dancers! Thanks :-D
  15. latingal

Andbersh, same question for you...are you willing to be the DF contact for donations to Rutgers? If so, will go ahead and put all the info on the master list in the first post....
  16. Yanou

Yanou Member

I shipped 2 dresses to Columbia.

I have a question. Never having attended college comps, I only have a vague idea what's acceptable for college comps. I have a couple of formal long skirts that don't fit me any more. Are they useful for college teams? I think they can use them for practicing smooth at least, but not quite sure.
  17. TAK

TAK Member

They are likely to be useful as competition outfits for lower-level dancers who are not allowed to wear costumes.

I imagine most college teams would be happy for pretty much anything you aren't using anymore!
  18. latingal

Thank you for donating Yanou!

I sent off a box of shoes and practice wear last week.
  19. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Yes, what TAK said.... practice wear is always needed... especially for newcomers in their first comps and they haven't had enough time to go and buy skirts/dresses or they don't know what to get... that sort of thing...
  20. Andbersh

Andbersh New Member

:)

Sounds like a plan, if there are any problems I will pass the hat on to the next person :)