Donating Dancesport Wear to College Teams

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Apr 7, 2009.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hi katherinejh! Sorry I'm a little late in responding here, are you willing to be a listed as a contact member on DF?

2. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

Sure, I think I'm the only team member on DF.

3. Hello Latingal, The SJSU should be one of the teams that is listed on the list. I just want to let other teams know that our team has a few extra shoes that don't fit any of our dancers and we would be interested in trading with other teams for shoes, practice wear, and heel caps of different sizes. Can we do that on this forum or are there policy's against that?

4. Oh yeah I forgot. We changed our email to sjbsdt@gmail.com. Could you change that in the first post?

5. latingal

Email address changed Fkk....and I don't think there's a problem with college teams trading unused items between themselves here (unless the donors have asked otherwise).

6. Great. Thanks Latingal.

Currently we have a 5.5 Dance Life Standard Shoe with no straps. It looks similar to STYLE: 20567 on the Dance Life USA Website. Both heels are wide and are slightly worn.

We also have a pair of 6.5 Stephanie Professional Standard shoes that actually have suede on the bottom of the Heels already. The shoe has seen much wear, but is still perfectly wearable. This is the shoe model: http://www.stephaniedanceshoes.com/product.php?productid=3614&cat=2&page=2

Lastly we have a size 5 DANsport Standard Shoe. Again, shoe is thoroughly worn on the the top, but still wearable and even has suede on the bottom of the heel so you wont need a Heelguard. Here is the model pic from the site. http://www.danceshoesballroom.com/c....html?osCsid=9b0426a0feea3e26833fc048ddbd80d8

I really think that as college clubs and team we should get together and try to help each other out any way we can. Our team is looking for shoes of slightly smaller and narrower sizes (Preferably Latin). Specifically we are looking for a ladies dance shoe of either style that would fit a US Size 9 Narrow. If anyone would be interested in trading or inquiring about particular sizes, then shoot us an email at sjbsdt@gmail.com.

7. PS: We are also looking for heelguards for the International Style Shoe brand.

8. latingal

flare or regular?

9. Flare, Our school is really strict about floor care so we can't use most of the shoes we have due to lack of heel guards. Which suckc since someone was very kind enough to give us International Brand Shoes. T_T

10. latingal

Actually it's been a while since I've worn Internationals, but do I remember correctly that you can use Supadance flare heel guards on International flares?

11. Really? I will look into it then. I hope you may be right. One of m friends has a few Supadance Heelguards. I'll trying borrowing from her until I can buy a few myself.

12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Just hit the craft store, buy a sheet of leather and you can make bunches and bunches of suede stars for way cheap.

13. Leather? Never thought of that. Ok I'll try!

14. latingal

I use tandy leathers "Suede Trim Piece".

15. Oh and I don't know if other schools do this as well, but donated items to our team are eligible to receive a Tax ID from our schools Tower Foundation.

16. Your ad looks more like a "for sale" request than a trade-in request... Just a thought... isn't it "unethical" or somehow wrong to be selling items that were donated to your team for profit? My team only has 1 costume, and we treasure it as our most prized possession. We have such a small inventory that members are only allowed to check out items on a per need basis instead of getting to keep a donated item if it fits.
    If you have extra items in your inventory, I urge you to pass it on to other teams who may need it more.

17. You make a valid point, some of the costumes originally donated to us are actually still being used now. One of the first gowns my partner and I competed with was with one of these costumes.
    It was a decision made by us officers to either sell or trade away some of these gowns. Currently we are looking for more shoe donations then anything, so I suppose I'll ask the others if we can take the prices off and put them up for just trade instead.

We didn't think it was unethical mainly because Laura gave us the costumes and told us to either sell or use we them. We were considering pulling together some personal finances to alter them a bit and have our members wear them for shows, but the people we went to said it would be cheaper for us to just buy dresses from China then get them fixed.

18. Actually, now that I think about it It wouldn't be a bad idea at all to just donate some of them to other schools as long as they want them. I guess i'll ask some of the local teams in California.

19. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

There is nothing unethical about selling or trading donated items that you cannot use, especially if the donor knows that this is a possibility. The donation still benefits the team. If I donate some shares of stock to a nonprofit, I don't expect them to just sit on them and take the dividends into perpetuity - they may do that for a while, and at some point, they'll probably convert them to cash. Nor does this team have any ethical obligation to help support "poorer" teams by giving away costumes, although it would obviously be nice of them to do so.

Did you know that Locks of Love sells a large fraction of the hair donated to them, and uses the proceeds to pay for making wigs out of the hair they keep?