Dress for Hockey

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mario7, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

See, that's where we disagree. I think it IS this thread... here's Mario's original post in its entirety:

<<When the peanut gallery sees these new steps it and 'learns' them, it will become dangerous to dance Tango.>>

Absolutely NOTHING about the couple.. Obviously about the dangers of people doing these steps in places where Mario dances (and to my knowledge, he isn't a show dancer, so its not likely that he's worried about a show dancer interfering with his performance; he must mean a milonga.)

As to where Mario is.. its right there in his profile. That's my "evidence":rolleyes:. As to who else sees the video.. are you really going to pretend that no one outside a country ever watches videos on You tube from a different country? Do I really need "prove" such an obvious fact of the world wide web? Since Mario isn't in London, that proves it right there. (another:rolleyes:)
  2. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think its because everyone knee-jerked. :cool:

Mario has a clear and definite history of posting seeking helpful feedback and guidance. To assume he meant something that he didn't state outright seems contrary to the spirit of this forum that I've always respected and appreciated.

It was the kind of reaction I'd expect to see if Jan had posted it, not someone who has been so forthright in his desire for clarification and help with learning tango first as a beginner when he arrived and now as a developing tanguero.

There was NO critique of this teacher, his teaching or his social dance habits. There was concern that imitating this leader styling will lead to problems.

Just as videos of famous followers have led almost every follower to imitate (at SOME point in their development) Geraldine and Jennifer in their adornos, videos of leaders doing big moves can have the same effect. Whether or not the people are actual students of the dancer is not the point.

Your theory is that those who are directly connected to a teacher will be copying them most. My theory is that getting the teacher's style in context means that they will be less likely to copy only the superficial aspects. I would hope that if the teacher is good, then their students are more likely to understand when and where their stylistic features are appropriate, whereas someone just watching a video would merely copy randomly. I think that's why we have so many followers doing wild boleos and excessive adornments. These people are NOT the direct students of the great followers who developed follower styling. They are the You-tubers who see it and simply mimic it willy nilly.

That's my theory. You don't have to agree, but your dismissal of it outright seems unwarranted. I'll allow that your theory may be the correctone, but we can DISCUSS it.

A respectful discussion of Mario's concern is what is lacking in this thread because a few responders decided he was slamming the people in the video when his actual post did nothing of the sort.
  3. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Have we not already had a thread on this board about people who kick high on a social dance floor, with horror stories, rants, venting, and various suggestions on how to deal with the phenomenon?
  4. Lui

Lui Active Member

When is want to see good social dancing, I go to a place, where I can sit near the floor and watch good dancers at a normal Milonga. If I go to see some kind of exhibition and maybe even pay an extra entrance fee, they better put up a show. In my eyes it’s the whole point of a show to go beyond average normal day life, in this case calm social dancing, and keep the audience entranced. I would hate to see this censored just because some people don’t get the difference between reality and fiction. If you following that line of though, we better abolish all movies involving violence on TV. What will happen when the “Peanut Gallery” sees Richard III a some theater? – a killing spree!

Mario’s coment gave me the impression, that this couple is doing something inappropriate, even when he didn’t state it that way. It has the implication that the couple might be responsible for the action of it’s imitators. I strongly reject this idea, as it separates the responsibility from the actual wrong doers. Those who have no respect for other couples on the dance floor, don’t need a show for inspiration, they will get stupid ideas just be themselves.
  5. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

It would be okay with me if we returned to discussing tango, rather than discussing our discussion of tango.
  6. Lui

Lui Active Member

I’m always slightly irritated, when people start to think for others, especially along the line of: “Is this the future of tango ...?” and “Don’t you think this future will be horrible ...?”

I don’t believe that we are slaves to a predetermine future of Tango, I firmly believe everybody can shape it’s own future of Tango. Maybe not on a global level, but surely on a local level. What hinders you to gather some like minded friends and open up your own no-high-kicks respectful dancing Milonga?

I’m therefore not so much concerned what strange ideas other persons will introduce to the dance in the future. I’m completely occupied by luring people into respectful social dancing myself, so I have my own cosy sanctuary within the general Tango community.
  7. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Geez AndaBien, you and I leave for a few hours and look what happens. I didn't realize what a calming effect that we have on this forum.

[​IMG]

PS: before anyone takes offense at my post, the smiley is indicating an attempt an humor (you know to lighten the mood).

:raisebro:
  8. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Word.
  9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Hey everyone, how do you think we mods feel?

I still think that this group sets a pretty high standard of "self moderation", and I thank you all for keeping it respectful (almost of the time!), and knowing when to let it go, or introduce some humor, etc.
  10. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Actually, I was referring to their mutha.:cowboy:
    Just kidding, Gee I leave the room for a minute and look what happens!

I just returned from our weekly milonga and wow...my dance partner of 6 weeks wowed everyone especially me!...she just bought a pair of real high heels (not medium jobs) and claims that the higher heels are a big help!...I'm sooo happy for her..wow did she cut a rug!!:cheers: She was doing molinetes like she'd been dancing tango for 4 years! ..breakthru!

Anyway, back to the polemic...if this time next year, we are all dodging guys doing their ornamentation kicks...then this thread was presentient....if not, then it's a relief.:p

PS..thanks Zoop.;)
  11. Lui

Lui Active Member

Don’t fear the future! Tango show kicks have been around for ever, well at least since the 1920s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7RCRlnsbe0 see 1:03), nevertheless we are still alive.

But maybe there is a market for protection gear. What would you think of black shin guards with silver glitter pinstripes?

Mario, congratulations to your breakthrough. Keep on having fun!
  12. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

as long as her shoes aren't Rosa Klebb's!!
  13. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Thanks Lui, what happened is that the Trio I was expecting weren't there for some reason...the restaurant manager wasn't either...so I couldn't complain...after a couple hours of the normal guitar/singer soloist and some lame records by big orchestras with violins, they put on a Tanturri CD..Bingo! It was like throwing a filet mignon in front of a starving man...I went wild!!:p:cowboy::smile: ( I used to feel this way about sex:()