Dresses for a "plus size" dancer.

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Izzy20, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Izzy20

Izzy20 New Member

I've been dancing for almost 2 years now and am starting to look for a dress to buy. I'm not a thin dancer. I'm about a 14/16 dress size and I'm only 5'1. All the dresses I've seen online have either been waaaayyy too small or really pricey. I know I can't be the only woman who's had this problem before. Any advice out there? Also, I'm only 21 so I like young styles.

Thanks for any help!

One last thing I'm looking for a relatively cheap dress.

OH! i dance rhythm. almost forgot.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dresses really stretch...so I would go to some comps and try stuff on ...you never know what you will find...and if you see a rental that is sized as low as an 8 you might actually get into it...I know this b/c for my entire dance life I have been between an 8 and a 16 and it hasn't much affected my ability to find something that fits off the rack...good luck
  3. Izzy20

Izzy20 New Member

thanks. I recently rented a dress that was a 10-14 and it fit really well. It's just frustrating when 99% of dresses online are 0-2.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yea...but grab a few that are 8-10 and just see...because, honestly alot of that fabric is remarkable...I have worn dresses that belonged to fairly small pros and dresses that have belonged to women quite a bit larger than I...you just never know
  5. mad123

mad123 Member

Also if you aren't already check out the costume classified ads on various sites. I've seen custom made dresses in sizes other than 0-6 for resale quite often. It can be really frustrating to find something that you feel good in, is flattering and still makes you feel hot, hot, hot on the floor but it is doable. In my early ballroom days I tried to stay conservative in style because I was worried about my size and found that this sometimes led to dresses that made me look larger. So don't be afraid, as fascination suggested, to not only try on different sizes but a lot of different styles, even ones you might never dream of wearing. You never know till you try!
  6. AMeader

AMeader New Member

I understand your frustration; I'm 5'11" and a size 10, so not only do I need a larger framed dress, I also need it longer!!!

One thing I have done is found dresses/skirts with good movement (generally jersey fabrics or stretch fabrics are best) and decorated them myself. If you google "latin dress" or "salsa dress" you should be able to find a bunch of options.

Good luck!
  7. inftaxs

inftaxs New Member

Team at Dress4Dance has made many costumes (Latin, Smooth, Standard) for "plus" size dancers, both ladies and men.
  8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Our guidelines for the site reserve the right to advertise for our members with proven participation in the forums. And then, the ads may only be placed once a month in one of two forums, Dance Ads or Dance Events.

inftaxs, we'd appreciate it if you would refrain from placing posts that act as advertising here in our main forums. Thank you.
  9. gracie

gracie Active Member

There is a pretty smooth/standard on E-Bay that is said to be 58 inches shoulder to hem. Don't see too many that length!
  10. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Try Bonnie's Belle Gowns, she has a variety of sizes and great designs for rent or for purchase. She's very nice and will answer any of your questions!

Just Google the name, it should be the first link.
  11. Joyful Dancer

Joyful Dancer New Member

You may want to try a local bridal shop that carries larger sizes. Check the "mother of the bride" dresses or "special guest" dresses. Suprisingly, they have some very nice ,stylish, "young" looking options. The knit or jersey fabrics flow very well. Stretch taffeta is an excellent material. I like the simple; yet elegant designs. You can always add "bling" via hair jewelry or bracelets/earings. Just make sure that you have plenty of movement in the arms and skirt. If the skirt doesn't flow well, you can alway add small slits in the side seams.
  12. AMeader

AMeader New Member

Hey thanks Gracie; do you know make of the dress?
  13. gracie

gracie Active Member

No, it doesn't say in the add. I can pm you with the info so you can see it on E-Bay if you want.
  14. Izzy20

Izzy20 New Member

Thanks to everyone who replied! Sorry been down with the flu. I love everyone's suggestions. I found a local ballroom dress place that I plan on going to in order to try stuff on. See what styles are flattering and such. I also plan to bring my very honest friend with me.
  15. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Good luck! I just realized you're in western, MA. I'm in eastern MA. If your current search doesn't work out, let me know and we can chat about other places to look!
  16. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Suggestions on where to find plus size ballroom dresses

Hi DF friends. I don't know if there is a specific thread out there to address where one might find plus size ballroom and latin dresses. I have found a few suitable off the rack dresses for latin, but ballroom dresses with floats, etc. seem to be harder to find. Any suggestions, websites, or the like would be greatly appreciated.
  17. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

There is Natalka's http://www.artrhythms.com/ She posts here and she has a variety of dresses on her site. I have hard-to-find size, too (I am not technically plus sized, just weird measurements), and I had some luck with dresses on her site.
  18. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Hard to believe I'm getting this plug in before etp77 does:

bonniesbellegowns dot com
  19. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Wannabee, I seem to recall you are just getting into latin and ballroom. I would think pretty much ANY of the major dressmakers would be willing to make something in any size you please. You can go to any competition you want, see whose styles you like, and order a custom dress right there. If you are the first owner of a custom dress, however, you can expect to pay the price for a work of art. Expect $2000-4000.

Unless money is no object, I might suggest that you start by looking at RENTALS or SECOND-HAND dresses.

Try dmichaelcreations DOT com for rentals up to size 16. I have rented from her in the past and had good success.

There are plenty of places with classified ads for gently used dresses, including this site. There are probably other women in your size range who would be willing to part with gowns they have worn at a few comps...and then you can hope for a price more like $800-1500.

You do not need to commit to a $3000 dress in order to do a first competition or showcase unless you want to!
  20. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

AND, before you decide to commit to a $3000 dress, make sure that you're aware of the dress regulations (if you're competing). It would certainly stink to spend that kind of money to find out that, in fact, you can't have anything light reflective on your dress!