Dressing Up for Lindy Hop ???

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Ray Sison, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Do a lot of the people in your Lindy scene (or Swing scene in general) dance the retro "part"? Including for "hangar dances"? It's great fun even just watching some of these "hepcats" dress for the occasion--and entertaining to bring someone along who has never seen such a thing...
  2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

It's also cool when a live band is involved, such as Buddy's Big Band of Fort Worth, Texas. They play swing music from the 30's and 40's, as well as lots of other styles...
  3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, well being from Fort Worth they must play a lot of Wesern Swing. Right?
  4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Steve, you would think so. But when you go to a big dance event done by Buddy's Big Band, it's more like a big scene from a 1940's movie. With a lead singer dolled up like Liza Minnelli from New York, New York. And hepcats in abundance, with all the retro gear on. With music to match. Not only Swing but also Foxtrots and occasional others like Cha Chas...

As a Californian, I had visions of what Fort Worth would be like everyone else. And some of it is true--like this is one of the few cities (if not the only one!) that is proud to be called "Cowtown". And they do have bonafide cowboys and cowgirls. But it is a pretty diverse place, with lots going on, including a good Lindy and Salsa and Ballroom scene...
  5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I'm reviewing the movie "Rock, Baby Rock It", and Kay Wheeler, who was in the movie, does a commentary. She says the kids in the 50s in Dallas, where some of the film was shot with local non actors, danced the Bop at that time. (You can tell it ain't West Coast Swing, that's for sure.) And when she moved to Los Angeles, she found that they where not with the new rock 'n' roll scene.

Anyhow, they have (had?) an event at local air field here in Vancouver where people dressed in WW II era clothes. Don't know if it's a regular thing or not.
    You probably don't want to count the people like me who put on a Western shirt, jeans, and a nice pair of boots (no hat for me!) to dance at the country western place where we do swing (along with all the other dances).
  6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Very cool, Steve. Washington is a beautiful state. Been only twice--once to springboard over to the Canadian Vancouver...
  7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

[​IMG]

From http: // leavenworthinternationalfestival .com/performer.htm
  8. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

For special events, some people will dress up. For general purpose dances, I rarely see anyone dressed up anymore. That pretty much died out in 2003 or so, at least in my area.
    Even for special events these days though, there aren't a ton of people who dress up, and the ones who do are primarily either those of us who've been dancing forever, (and still have a big section of our closet devoted to retro clothing) or folks who are brand new.
  9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

LindyKeya, and the Lindy scene is altogether casual anyways--a lot of ours consists of students from the local colleges. And they just come as they are.

Thanks for the response!
  10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Christina Aguilera's Lindy Hop Outfit in "Candyman" Video

From Christina Aguilera's video for "Candyman", which features Lindy Hop:

[​IMG]

From http: // en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/File:Candyman_ca_like_vintage.png
  11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

A couple do dress up now and then. And it is fun seeing them.
  12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I did not realize right away that this picture is Christina Aguilera x 3 !

Nice... :cool:
  13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yes, it's fun here also seeing people do that...
  14. major swing

major swing Member

dressing up.....

our scene is predominantly people who wear swing clothing or reenactors clothing for our dances. so you get a mix of thirties forties civvies, some out and out lindy hepcats and more than a few dressed in vintage raf/navy and in particular usaaf dress. there are also more and more folks who wear vintage all the time, ie for normal day wear not just dances, and i fall into that category!!!
  15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

major swing, that's great fun! Including your everyday attire. And Welcome to Dance Forums! :cheers:
  16. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I'm not into Lindy, but I believe a number of people here dress vintage at the dances.

I don't think there's been any lately, but hangar dances have been held here at the air museum in the past and for all styles of dancing, not just Lindy. I felt this was really cool since I have an interest in vintage aircraft and dancing int he space between a B-29 and a C-46.
  17. major swing

major swing Member

hangar dances

we have an hangar dance every year at east kirkby, which is a museum to bomber command and we dance under the frint end of a lancaster bomber called just jane. this attracts around 300 dancers per year, all dressed forties.
    they come from as far away as holland!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. Spitfire

Would love to see that museum; let alone dance!
  19. major swing

major swing Member

come on over we will take you.......
    they have a forties weekend full of reenactors,
    everyone dresses up, the lanc comes out and taxis
    on the run way(should be flying soon), massive dance at night on
    the saturday, please dancing demos/freestyle during the day.
    not to forget the haunted control tower with working waaf girls
    talking the planes back in........
    did i mention the spitfire, dakota and hurricane fly past!!!

very good weekend........
    myself , id lm a bit of a usaaf nut and would just love to see liberators
    taking off!!!!
  20. Spitfire

If I were to travel to the UK again (Did so back in 1987) I would definitely include that on the itinerary. The USAF base here was home to B-24's back in WW2. One actually crashed in the neighborhood where my parents grew up.