Dressing Up for Lindy Hop ???

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Ray Sison, Dec 9, 2010.

1. major swing

major swing Member

you may be suprised how many of us brits on the reenactor scene just love the usaaf. we collect jeeps, uniforms. lorries, flying jackets, nose art, you name it........
  2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Oh man, I'd have a field day with that! :cool:
  3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I treated myself to a flight in one of the still flying B-17s a year or two ago. It was quite a thrill!
  4. major swing

major swing Member

my dream...................
  5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I've heard about hangar dances in our area--but I never made it out to one. Sounds great! Everything I hear about them, including the vintage planes! :banana:
  6. major swing

major swing Member

do you have forties dances over there?????? vitrually every weekend we either attend one as dancers or actually get paid to put them on our selves.
    it involves hiring an old village hall, decking it out with bunting/flags, usually a mix of union jack/raf/navy/stars and stripes, then playing a good mix of old swing/old english dance band music and jive stuff. everyone dresses in forties attire, and i do mean everyone, so youll have a hall full of yanks, british tommies, wren,waafs, land army girls, etc etc etc. then we will usually have a tea room serving teas and home made cakes etc etc...... the night will usually be interrupted by a simulated air raid, a few speeches from churchill etc etc..
    then at the end youll hear the announcemount of the end of hostilities,
    victory in europe and the two national anthems, us/usa!!!! we normally have a few vets attens as well which is always nice....... this scene is huge, and happens all over england every weekend........
  7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

[OT] My father was a navigator on a liberator, flew out of Harrington, back in the day.
  8. major swing

major swing Member

guys like your dad are heroes to all of us over here............
  9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Every now and then, I hear of such a 40's-themed event in our area. I've not attended one yet, but know of a few that have. They sound fun! :cool:
  10. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

And he appreciates it still -- at age 90!
  11. major swing

major swing Member

please say a big hello and thanks to him from me........................
    id love to meet him.....
  12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

That sounds amazing! :cheers:
  13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I'm sure that was great! :)
  14. abifae

abifae New Member

Dressing the style is extremely fun!! If you never have, I recommend it. I'm hoping to find some dances to go to once my dancing is good enough I can actually follow someone LOL. And I am looking forward to making some fun clothes to wear for it :)
  15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

That's fabulous, abifae! And welcome to Dance Forums! :cheers:
  16. major swing

major swing Member

welcome on board......................
  17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Good Flying Fortress Cartoon from Wikipedia...

Wikipedia gives this background info for the 1944 caricature shown below:

The B-17's capacity to repel enemy attacks and still inflict heavy damage to the German war machine and production centers is imaginatively rendered by C.R. Greening in this colorful caricature. Completed by Lt. Col. C. Ross Greening while prisoner at Stalag Luft I, Barth Germany in 1944-1945, this work is part of a collection of artwork that was published after the war in his book titled "Not As Briefed."

[​IMG]

From http:// en.wikipedia. org /wiki/File:Flying_Fortress_Cartoon.jpg
  18. abifae

abifae New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Ray, have you seen Dr Seuss's WW2 cartoons? They're great!
  19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

You're very welcome, abifae! And, yes, I have seen at least one of those cartoons, I believe; thanks for reminding me to seek out more of them... :)
  20. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

It can be fun for many different styles of dance. It is one reason why really getting into a showcase routine can be so enjoyable... :p