DWTS Season 5 - First week - First Day - Women Dancing

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Sagitta, Sep 24, 2007.

1. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

welcome, harley! you'll have to post and let us know what you think after you've got a chance to see the show....
  2. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Missed it - I was at a study group for a test. Grrrr school always getting in the way of dancing!

Will have to wait until it goes up online.
  3. reb

reb Active Member

Welcome to Dance Forums Harley!

Hope you find some time to check out the other threads in the ballroom forum, and there's salsa, swing . . .
  4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ditto; welcome to DF Harley! :D
  5. reb

reb Active Member

• The pros did us proud
    • Drew is 100% better than his predecessor
    • Dancing was at least as good as before - if not better
    • The focus was more on the dancers and less on the judges
  6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I also liked that the judges' scores seemed to match with what they were saying. It wasn't, "You were the worst out here tonight, so I give you a 9!" Great got 8s, good got 7s, could be better got 5s and 6s. Amazing got a 9. (I really thought they were going to give Sabrina a 10 though. And quite honestly, I think it matched or surpassed some previous seasons' triple 10 performances.) But it does seem to be a little more consistent across the board.
    It did slay me when Len started getting onto Alec about too much closed hold in the foxtrot. Since when does Len want the dancers doing open work anyway?:rolleyes:
  7. Beto

Beto Active Member

I think it's because he knew Alec had to a lot of the heavy lifting (ha!) to cover up Josie's poor form and technique. Poor Alec. Hope he survives to at least week 2. They need to stop pairing him with supermodels. Bad karma.

He had one of the better lines of the night: "Josie is deceptively unfit - her body is like jello" :D
  8. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

He was trying to dance slowly, but she was barely keeping up. Poor Alex, and poor us because we won't get to be ogling him very long. pout.
  9. chachachacat

I also liked Jane Seymour's dancing best. I have always loved her elegance, and I loved Somewhere in Time! I thought it was soooo romantic.
    Oh, no not the penny! You foooool!
  10. chachachacat

I didn't think the ending was sad, they were together people!
  11. jjohnjjr

jjohnjjr New Member

I really didn't like any of the cha cha performances. Sabrina's dance was more hip-hop, less cha cha. I wasn't surprised when Carrie Ann and Bruno fawned all over it. But Latin is more exciting than Smooth.
    Of the foxtrots, I liked Jane and Tony best, Marie and Jonathan next, and Alec and Josie least. Alec was able to support Josie through the routine. I thought Jane looked very natural and at ease on the floor.
    The ladies came out in general at a higher level than other seasons. Let's see how the men do tonight.
  12. RickRS

RickRS Member

I thought it was a impressive start for this season. The dancing seemed a few notches higher than previous years at the first week.

Sabrina Bryon set the place on fire with her number. Since she use some hip-hop in it, I was expecting Len to knock points off. Surprising thing, Sabrina didn't need the hip-hop at all! Her cha-cha seem quite good all by itself. I think Len was giving her a break because it was opening night and a impressive effort, but I expect he will get nasty if she (and others) go for flash over form in up-coming weeks.

Josie Maran was the weakest of the women, so it remains to see if there is someone in the men's rack that is even weaker.

What ever happen to Tori Spelling? I heard she was supposed to been on this year's show.

Rick

PS: Listen to me, will ya? A freaking beginner and I'm suddenly Mr. Ballroom Know-it-All! Everone a critic when it TV! ;)
  13. RickRS

RickRS Member

Big question for tonight: Will Bruno top his "you're like a crazy bear, dancing in the swamp!!!" comment to Billy Ray Cyrus from last year? :nope:

Rick
  14. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

but they had to die miserably to do it(didnt he starve himself to death?!)...i wanted them together while living! lol! i have another movie that is similar, done in the 70s i think....i think its called "the two worlds of jennie logan" or something like that. anyone every seen it? the main women are played by lindsey wagner and linda grey. she buys this old house and finds this old dress in the attic and when she puts it on she is taken back to another time period. its along the same lines but in the end she dies in her present life(where she was unhappy because her husband had cheated on her) to stay in her past life(with a great dude who thought she was an angel) and her present love interest(cheating hubby) finds these pictures her past love interest(great guy) had painted that showed her and the children she'd had and how happy she was, so he knew she had lived and done what she wanted to do, etc. now THAT was a good ending!

oops....unhijack! can't wait to see the men dance tonight!
  15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad. It happens to the best of us. ;)
  16. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

bruno is always hilarious.... last night he cracked me up calling Jennie Garth a "yummy mummy"....definitely didnt top "you're like a crazy bear, dancing in the swamp" but give him time....he'll come up with something. lol!
  17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

It took a few weeks for him to come up with "Crazy bear", so give him time.

re: Josie, it's not actually all that surprising. I've read that a lot of models are actually terribly unfit--they're THIN, but they have no muscle tone. It's basically skin and fat over bone. Which makes sense, muscle builds bulk, plus you need to eat to be in shape. A dietician in one article actually used the word "jell-o" to describe what it's like to poke them in the arm--all mush, no muscle. Poor Alec.
  18. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Loved the opening pro number. I am so glad Derek and Mark are on the show, they ramp up the action bigtime!I think the other pros, who are what? maybe 10 years older? are going to have to work hard to keep up. Already Max looks more fit than last year.
  19. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I really liked the show last night! Sabrina was the best cha cha of the night and I enjoyed the little bit of hip-hop in the routine. Mark is lucky to have her as a partner and I feel they are a good fit. The only 2 woment I've heard of are Marie and Jane. They didn't dissapoint me at all and I LOVED their foxtrots. They were both elegant and portrayed the dance beautifully. I'd give Jane a slight edge over Marie and place her number 1 among the women doing foxtrot with Marie a close 2nd. I felt Josie was the weakest female and feel sorry for Alec to have another weak dancer. Hopefully, he's not eliminated first again.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the men do tonight. The women really set the bar high and if the men do as well, this is going to be the best season yet. The only 2 men I've heard of are Wayne Newton and Cameron Mathison so, I'm especially interested to see how they perform.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know the dancers this year and see them improve and progress. So far, it seems to me that there aren't any prima donnas this season which will make for a very enjoyable season.
  20. jjohnjjr

jjohnjjr New Member

Hey, I score 85 on bronze tests and I'm here pontificating too. I still have trouble getting past strict ballroom to a performance. There is my bias.