DWTS Season 5 - First week - First Day - Women Dancing

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Sagitta, Sep 24, 2007.

1. reb

reb Active Member

They made a great impression on the dance floor right away in the opening number.

2. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Yes, the opening number was fantastic!!! I wonder what they will do tonight?

3. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I didn't like the opening number so much. Just too broadway for my tastes.:( I watch DWTS for partner dancing, not a pile of women on one side and a pile of men on the other side of the stage!

4. evanluck

evanluck Member

Really enjoyed the first night. Sabrina's cha was awesome...the best combination of speed, precision, and performance that I have ever seen on the show and this is only the first week. It will be interesting if she is able to do as well in the ballroom genres. Jane Seymor was also very nice. Quite poised and elegant...so much so that I didn't even notice what the judges were talking about with her turns. I thought that performance was a notch higher than Mel's and was disappointed when the two were given the same score.

Sabrina's and Jane's performances definitely help ease the transition for me between SYTYCD and DWTS.

Excited to see how the men with bring it tonight. I think it will be interesting how Cheryl Burke and Wayne Newton do. They seem like the most mismatched pair personality-wise. I would have put Cheryl with Mark Cuban and Kym Johnson with Wayne.

Alec needs to talk to the casting folks and get out of this supermodel rut. It seems that of all the "types" of stars that they cast on the show, the supermodel is always destined for an early exit. I can't imagine a scenario that keeps Josie around for another week. Even if one of the guys is worse that she was, it seems that no one will be able to match her deadly combination of difficulty dancing, relative anonymity, and misalignment with the voting audience demographic.

5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I think Josie's only chance is if Mark Cuban says something that really irritates people. (Which he could easily do.) Who will the voters like less? A woman that's on the show because she's prettier than them (supermodel) or a guy that's on the show because he's richer than them (Mark Cuban)?

6. two_left_feet

two_left_feet New Member

The only thing that may work against Sabrina is her apparent tendency to pull a Mario Lopez by doing non-ballroom moves. If she had stuck to standard cha cha cha, she would've gotten 10s already.

7. evanluck

evanluck Member

Interesting and perhaps a possible scenario...I wonder if the fact that Mark is very well liked in Dallas and the surrounding areas will help him noticeably. I think that Mark also has an advantage because of Kym's teaching style. Kym tends to be lighthearted and relatively carefree in her teaching which tends to frame people in better lights when it comes to the practice montage. Alec definitely did not help Josie out with his 'deceptively unfit' comment (although it was true and hilarious).

8. evanluck

evanluck Member

Also I think there is a danger in her peaking too early or being saddled with the front-runner or ringer title. People like to see people improve and if she just kills it every week that may actually work against her.

9. Beto

Beto Active Member

That's true, peaking too early could work against her. However, no one will call her a ringer as her dance background is something she admits to and talks about casually. Whereas Mario would just get silent when asked about his prior dance background and that, appropriately, earned him the "ringer" title.

10. LucyDiamond

Re: Sabrina

I think cha cha played to her strengths. It will be interesting to see how she does with the smooth/standard dances.

11. LucyDiamond

To add to above, I think Marie will do better in Latin.

12. Harley0711

Harley0711 New Member

It was a "TV" movie - would like to see it.... http://imdb.com/title/tt0078430/

I liked the show and esp Jane - as for Marie - she was disapointing - She really needs to step it up if she wants to stay - Interesting to see the model admit its much more work than she thought... I started Ballroom in 88 and took lessons for several years - I have been a firefighter for 34+ years and walking out on the dance floor at comp scared the hell out of me - give me a buring house anytime,lol.... don't dance as much anymore but still love it.... only dancing the wife and I do any longer is swing... did anyone watch "So, you think you can dance" Was surprised to see Buddy Swimmer there and his daughter.... OK - I live in a shoe box - lol

Tonight will be interesting.. About the only guy I know is Wayne - as much as I like him as a singer - I don't see him lasting long on this show...

13. I really liked Sabrina's cha cha and I loved Jane's foxtrott, she is so elegant and light on her feet, it was just beautiful to watch. And I loved her dress! Marie made up a lot with her smile and playing to the audience and I liked her foxtrott, too.

Josie's foxtrott was the weakest dance of the night, however, her dress was the best! I absolutely loved that dress and she looked stunning in it.

Can't wait to see Helio dance tonight. His looks are "too hot to be true"!:oops:
    I hope he will live up to my expectations of hot latino dancer, hehe!

Marie is the only star on the show that I know (as the sister of Donny Osmond of whom I was a fan as a teenager). I heard the names Jane Seymour and Floyd Mayweather before but had never seen them on screen.

14. My Ox Is Broken

My Ox Is Broken New Member

I hope now that Jane has shown that you can be over 50 and still be a kick-butt dancer that ABC will do more to find older contestants with a legitimate chance to win. Marie did a fine job, but when asked if she thought she could win, she didn't say yes -- she just said she wouldn't give up. That's fine for her, but I want to see dancers who think they can win.

I'd love to see ABC go after some female ex-athletes. How about Chris Evert or Martina Navratilova?

15. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

We liked it. When our ballroom instructor told the class that Jane Seymour was one of the stars, some of the students (vast majority in their 40's, 50's, and 60's, with the 40's being a very small group) didn't know who she was until somebody mentioned "Somewhere in Time", which they all remembered.

At least everybody's forgotten that she was in the pilot for the original "Battlestar Galactica".

DOH!

-----------------

Taped it and will tape it tonight and Wednesday, but won't be able to see it until this weekend. Isn't it ironic when dancing gets in the way of dancing?

16. evanluck

evanluck Member

Very true.

Here are some things that I noticed about her dancing that I don't think I've ever seen a "star" on Dancing with the Stars ever do:

1. Display the strength and speed of an seasoned dancesport competitor

2. Head styling in her spins

3. Display an understanding of different dynamic qualities so much so that it could actually be read on television...there was a syncopated New Yorker section in her routine and after she did a quick one, she did a slow one with a significantly different dynamic quality (it was for lack of a better word, gooey :lol:).

These are all strengths that can be applied to both ballroom and latin dancing.

I think her only down fall could be that she may be less interested in the ballroom genre and therefore engage less in the learning process. But with all her comments about how competitive she is, I doubt that will happen.

I think Mark did a pretty fantastic job of training her to her talent level and not holding anything back.

For the amount of time that they have been training she displayed a very mature understanding of certain dance concepts.

17. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Not ALL of us have forgotten her from Battlestar Galactica! Poor Boxie and Apollo!! (Yep, I'm a nerd.) I felt so young when they said she was a Bond Girl, because I remember her most as Dr. Quinn. Not a clue about Somewhere In Time!:)

18. reb

reb Active Member

Maybe Mark Cuban says something that irritates people or maybe he dances poorly - in which case he's earned his way off the show.

However, people like Mark - with significant accomplishments, who worked industriously at odd jobs from a young age, and come from humble beginnings, have an allure all their own . . .

19. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

re: Sabrina
    I don't really think they did that much hip hop. A couple of 2 bar spots maybe? Considering the song, I thought it was actually a nice little touch. And didn't take away from it being cha. Now if they'd tried to throw a couple bars of hip hop into a waltz... Well that might be pushing it!

20. reb

reb Active Member

I agree - thanks for pointing this out - it was barely in there.

a story line from the filmed comments during the week . . . so the series staff gets time to study the film and provide another story line (if they didn't have it already), and the 'judges' had some drama to talk about. Drama.