DWTS - Week 6 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by mamboqueen, Oct 14, 2006.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, someone had posted it over at the ABC board. I don't belong there, but I get a kick out of reading their messages. So, I'm sure that ABC had seen the video by now. They have people that watch the message board. But what's interesting is that almost everyone it seemed supported Louis and Monique! Wohoo! Good! That might just have been the boost they needed to get ahead in this game, but they did it fair and square. Good for MoLo!

2. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

I've been struck by all the little racists crawling out of the woodwork over there. Makes me shudder and run back here as fast as possible.

:(

3. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

It's been like that every season over there. I stopped voting and posting during season 1 because of stuff like that going on. It's still kind of interesting to read to see how they view things. But yeah I completely agree with you about that.

4. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Ah, you obviously don't know the seasoned dance DJ's first rule: if it has the name of a dance in the titlte or the lyrics, it's almost never that dance!

;-)

5. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

Huh. That's true, isn't it?

Except for many waltzes I can think of right of the top of my head. But for non-waltzes, it seems to be true as far as I can tell from a cursory look through my mental file cabinet. {Wheew, it's dusty in here.}

6. White Chacha

It's always such a relief when, seemingly by accident, the music director on DwtS manages to match the music to the dance.

I thought the first season that Andy Fortuna (the Latin Jam series) had consulted for them. But there's scarcely any evidence of that.

About three years ago, I programmed music for a dance demo for our university community. I thought a lot about trying to convey differences between international and american styles of particular dance. But I was also aware of the ability of the music to connect on a popular level. Rather than choose inappropriate music, I tried to find correct dance versions of things people might have heard. Like waltz done from the Shrek theme, and Santana for chachas.

I think that was a much more effective way of connecting to the popular song element without compromising the construction of the dance.

7. redhead

redhead New Member

OMG thank you for the laugh, just spilled my coffee

8. redhead

redhead New Member

It seems pretty common for DJs to have no idea of what they're playing. Like anything that sounds like dance music will do. We went to dancers' wedding some time ago, and the DJ was puzzled by how many people would sit out during "popular" songs and dance to "other" ones. Then at the end he asked what the last dance should be, everyone said "salsa" and then all but one couple left the floor when it started playing. He looked like a deer in headlights, poor thing had no idea he played a superfast samba.

9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Honestly, even watching Louis and Monique's samba to no music at all (as I just did because I'm at work and can't listen music) to my educated eye it looks very much like a samba. I mean it had botafogos, whisks, promenade runs, crusada walks, rolls - what the heck else do they want from it. And the side by side stuff they did I have seen in COUNTLESS pro samba routines. I mean Max and Yulia's famous fringe-y samba routine has the very same african-dance type movements Monique and Louis did... And noone can tell me that that routine is not samba!

10. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

We need to send someone a link to our "Unconventional Dance Music" thread . . .

11. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

That right there is the power of music. With the right music, or even no music at all, it's obviously samba. Put a stupid song to it though, and all of the sudden, it's hard to tell.

12. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

I agree, the dance had a lot going for it BUT as SALSA not a MAMBO. I also thought if they could have broken away and done some side by side footwork and then came back together again it would have highlighted Mario better instead of him just supporting her. Still it was a good salsa. Yes, I was thinking the same thing....strange ending.

Maybe ABC will have a spin off DwtS Show for Stars who already have 20 years of dance training and pair them up with professionals.
    Dare I say it? Is it just me?
    I just kinda feel that it's unfair to the Stars that don't have that kind of dance training to have someone in the competition who is above their level.
    Ok it's for a lot of good causes but I feel just a little sad for the others.
    The playing field is waaaaayyyyyyyy uneven.
    One of these things is not like the others.
    Most likely Mario will win.

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Well, last season it was Stacey with training far beyond the others and look how that turned out... :wink:

14. reb

reb Active Member

I thought both Drew and Mario have similar backgrounds in the sense that they both attended 'arts' high schools and have been performing in one way or another since their youth. There's a lot to be said for learning how to move, learn choreogrpahy, and perform at a young age.

15. alemana

alemana New Member

since fan base is so much of the vote this year, it matters much more who is popular.

16. SDsalsaguy

Good point alemana, the "revised" scoring and voting procedure this year elevates the significance of popularity quite a lot... especially since the judges refuse to really use the full value of scores available to them.

17. SDsalsaguy

You'll get no argument on that coming from me (i.e. someone without such advantages).

18. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Oh, I didn't know about Drew and Stacey's background
    because I only watched one episode of it last season.
    I think Mario will get both the judges vote and the popular
    vote. If he doesn't win they'll just have a dance off like they
    did with John O' Hurley and Kelly Monaco to appease America
    and make more money for the causes and the network.

19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Good point. But I think if I remember correctly that Stacy had only Ballet lessons. Well, as a former Ballet student I can tell you that yes Ballet can help you with lines etc., but it has completely messed with my turning ability for Ballroom and Latin. I keep wanting to go up instead of pressing down etc. I also have to think about posture and other things differently now. So, yeah I mean Ballet can help with a few things, but it can also mess you up with other things.

20. White Chacha

DJs!

A friend of mine who's been my ballroom music mentor has a solution for that. You give the DJ the music you want him/her to play! It's worked famously at the couple of dancers' weddings he and I have both been to.

Any good wedding DJ wants to play the music the couple wants. They're
    happy to be clued in to what that should be.