DWTS - Week 6 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by mamboqueen, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

West coaster viewer here.
    Can I just say that Len and Bruno are on crack. Monique's dance was filled with Samba.
    Self-Indulgent solo? It lasted 5 seconds and was at the beginning of the dance. Pretty much every entrance has been self-indulgent from what I've seen.
  2. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I agree that the solo comment was off-base; it seemed totally consistent with other entrances this season that generated nary a comment.

I think that the issue with the rest of the samba was two-fold:
    a) not a lot of characteristic steps -- you had the runs, rolls, & cruzado walks, but I didn't see any real amount of bota fogas or voltas based steps.
    b) horrible music -- the music didn't lend itself to samba actions (I thought Louis was showing more of a Rumba technique than Samba and I don't think I've ever seen him 'slip' that way before)

I think either problem in isolation wouldn't have been a killer -- If they lacked the characteristic steps, but the music still imspired a samba styling on what they did, the judges would have been happy I suspect. With that music, even some of the real samba, didn't look samba-esque, so I can see why the judges said what they did.
  3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Don't be absurd! :mad:

(They give 10s too! ;))
  4. clemcr

clemcr Member

Jerry has to go. It was so embarrassing and painful to watch that desecration of the paso. Only Bruno came close to scoring him on his dancing and his 5 was to high. I think Jerry all but asked the audience not to vote for him.
  5. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

NielsenE,

Totally agree about the music; I was thinking something similar. I've noticed several times in the past few years that the music can affect the comments. Why, I don't know. One would think our esteemed judges could see past horrific music.

I did see at least one variation of Bota fogos. I did see a fair amount of variation on Gold steps. Maybe Len and Bruno need their quota of Pre-bronze steps.

The most frustrating thing is that there are dozens of people on the ABC message boards saying their dance was "awful" "no samba in there at all" etc. People actually believe it was all Krumping and not fitting to ballroom. Wha? The judges have always been the thorn in the side of my enjoyment of this show.

This is the first week I voted just so I could throw some votes in support of Louis . . . uh, I mean Monique. :p
  6. Laura

Laura New Member

Oh my gosh I loved Monique tonight! This was her breakout week in my opinion. The "Samba" was super entertaining, and she has gotten past that kind of "dead fish" look that I thought she had on her face the first couple of weeks. I even loved the pink costume with the crazy rooster tail springy streamers coming off the butt.

Although, I do agree there wasn't enough Samba in the Samba. But the solo at the beginning wasn't very long and it was cute to see Monique being all "out there" and high energy.

Darn it was fun to watch! Good job! Vote for Monique & Louis! :)
  7. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I watched the show last night, but with little energy I couldn't do much else, and unfortunately haven't read the rest of this thread as I usually do.

Mario looked very good, Monique and Emmit were below him, Joey seemed a bit off, and Jerry was down right horrible. Time for Jerry to go.

And regarding the Sara Evans interview, I was ok with it for like the first 80% approximately, but then I was a bit caught off by her statement saying she was looking forward to going home and cooking, cleaning, ... yaddeyadeya ... and it didn't seem to fit with the rest. Perhaps I was just not seeing how this connected with the rest of what she said.

See ... now isn't that cruddy ... more of this post was written on that then the dancing. :roll:
  8. yanka

yanka New Member

I gave all my votes to Monique. Last week was the first time I didn't vote and Willa was sent home. Couldn't let that happen again (although, admittedly, 5 votes aren't going to make the difference). Hopefully others voted for her as well. I thought she was great.
    Unfortunately, Louis got a bit defensive/offensive with the comments, which, in previous seasons was directly correlated with his getting kicked off that week :(
  9. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

I don't particularly like it when they put totally non samba based music with samba dancing such as with the Monique/Louis number.
    Samba music and the dance itself has so much to offer in an of itself that I think they missed it with the music.
    However I think the judges were wrong with their dislike of the solo in the begining of the dance because it wasn't even a nano second, Geeze.
    I still like Louis and Monique though.

Mario and Karina can dance but they're not untouchable and can be critiqued like everyone else even if Mario is on another level (3 notches above).
    The judges have WIMPED OUT.
    Mario and Karina's routine was more of a Salsa than a Mambo.
    I thought Mario was really more of a support for her last night and didn't do that much dancing or put any styling into his supporting. I see guys put a lot of "flava" into their Mambo styling all the time. It's soooooooo cool. Also I thought they could have done some shines/open footwork in the middle of the routine then went back to the partnerwork to complete the number. That would have been a real Mambo the way they do it in NYC. The shine would have also shown him off more too.
    And Also that comment about Mario being on pro level from the judges ....? Hmmmmm I think He should go on "So You Think You Can Dance" and see what happens.
    He did a good Michael Jackson impression in the disco routine.

It's time for Jerry to go. That Paso was over the top awful and he must have done that on purpose.

Emmitt and Sheryl are always entertaining. I love them.

Joey and Edyta should have gotten higher scores....I loved that dress she was wearing.

The Disco number was cute and fun.
  10. I've heard comments from at least one top level pro that he has pro level ability.
  11. alemana

alemana New Member

the two pros i was watching the show with last night could not be cajoled under any circumstances to even glance in mario's direction - why would they, when karina is right there, dancing circles around him and everyone else on the show except Louis?

like almost all international latin ladies who try to mambo, she got a D for (ballroom mambo) flava, but she did impress them in every other way. i liked the choreography - someone texted me midway to note that it was an actual mambo song, but i was watching in a bar with the sound off, so that part escaped me.

i thought Joey worked his core and his hips - his basic movement - in his dance *far* more than Mario in his own rumba last week. both of them have this stick-straight-arm-style thing that drives me batty, but once i blocked that out, i was really impressed with Joey.

edyta can't get the costuming thing right. she's either wearing too little, or wearing a dress that's too long - it hooked on her shoe a couple times in her number last night.
  12. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

yes! Drives me crazy too! Its very hard to get past it to see how well they do on other things. Also agree that Joey did better than Mario in rumba, which is not what I expected.
  13. yusi19

yusi19 New Member

Can anyone tell me if they know of a place in city or northern NJ where they teach all the dance types shown in the show: Samba, Cha-Cha, Rumba, Ballroom, etc, etc. I want to dance, dance, dance!!!!!!!!
  14. Firsttime Dancer

Firsttime Dancer New Member

:p Welcome to DF! I am on the opposite coast but if memory serves me correctly you are in the same state as Maxs.. Let me check and see which one of the threads has the people on it that knows the city/area and get them in touch with you.

Welcome aboard!
  15. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

I don't think I'm allowed to post links yet...but if you go to the nyusabda (dot) org site and click on the Places to Take Dance Lessons button (on the left) there is a list of studios in the NY area (including some NJ studios) and their websites : )

Most of these studios offer classes in all of the dances on the show, and many have introductory specials!
  16. rock24

rock24 New Member

Rogers Dancesport Center is in Fairfield NJ 973 276-1170. Owned by Gary and Diana McDonald. Great teachers and fabulous studio.
  17. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Yes, It was mambo music. I recognized it right away.
    They just didn't Mambo dance to it.

Ability? No Doubt. Is he there yet right now? No.
    I was wondering though since he is such a good dancer, (there, see I'll give him his props) why
    he's not doing it professionally.
  18. alemana

alemana New Member

i have since watched their dance on MyOxIsBroken and realized it was RAN KAN KAN... whoa. how is it fair to give them the single most important piece of music in the entire genre, but make other people dance to capital-C CRAP? someone mentioned that RKK is the theme song for the new ACB show UGLY BETTY, so the cross-promotion opportunity apparently trumps everything else.
  19. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

That's not fair. They should let everybody dance to the good stuff.

And personally...I prefer to keep the right music with the right dance genre.
    I'll bet that was the network's idea too.
    ie. dancing samba to the song "abc"
    It would have to be something out of the ordinary to work. ie. Joey and Edyta's Waltz the other week. I don't remember the song but it wasn't a traditional waltz song. They made that waltz really passionate and different.
    I loved it.
  20. Beto

Beto Active Member