DWTS3 - Mario & Karina

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Porfirio Landeros, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I know I really shouldn't say anything until we've seen the dancing, but I can't stop thinking that Mario Lopez and Karina are going to tear it up! He has a dance background, and used to dance regularly on Kids Incorporated, and the show Saved By The Bell would find excuses to make him dance (wrestle, play the drums) whenever the writers could work it in. One episode, they had him do ballet with his girlfriend.

[​IMG]

Anyway, he's got a lot going for him before even seeing the dancing - Former teen heart-throb, dancer, and not-to-mention Latino ;-)

So, I say give it up for my San Diego homeboy Mario!

P.S. His name ends with "io" so that's pretty awesome, too...

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I hope he's paying you for your excellent PR work, Porfirio ;)

But, remember, Stacy also had a rather lengthy dance background.

Honestly, I think this will come down to who the fans like as a person (Drew and Jerry so had the likeability factor going for them) as much as anything else. So, if Mario's a decent/good guy, he's got a good chance (and of course, having Karina on his arm doesn't hurt).

Honestly, I usually don't look forward to this time of year because it brings an end of the summer to me when the kids go back to school...but at least we have something to look forward to!

3. wyllo

wyllo New Member

hmm, if he's smart he'll put in a sorta-crappy first performance (but not so bad that he'll be eliminated) so he can get raves from the judges for his improvement in the following weeks. :) (Assuming, of course, that's he's good to start with.)

4. But remember Stacy had a handicap. Tony was her partner.

5. ChaChaLicious

ChaChaLicious New Member

thats a bit harsh... i happen to love tony's choreography for stacy.. it fit her well..

as for karina and mario... OH MY GOD... i am so so so so excited. first of... i've watched every episode of saved by the bell, and still do now when i can catch it in the a.m, and i absolutly LOVE LOVE LOVE karina.. i think she has amazing floor craft and aside from being gorgeous (IMO) lets face it.. THE GIRL CAN DANCE!!! i can totally see them winning! then again, i thought stacey and tony were going to win but i was wrong! :( ...

i'm making my boyfriend watch it... and for those of you who have read my previous posts, know that he isnt the "dance type"... but after watching SYTYCD with me every week and actually getting into it and what not, i'm sure he'll enjoy this too....

UGH!!! a few more weeks and we'll have sooo much more to discuss... LOVE IT! i totally zone out when im watching DWTS... its like im not even home... my cell is off, my away message is on and for those who try to reach me whether by calling me, iming me, or interupting me in anyway... i get so furious that it has ended up with my fighting with my boyfriend and parents etc etc... oh well.. it was all worth it... <3

6. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Except for that disastrous Hustle in the final.

I'm really looking forward to Karina's performance. I think they will do really well.

7. ChaChaLicious

ChaChaLicious New Member

okay fine... the hustle was bad (and thats lightly put IMO) but i agree, mario and karina definitely have what it takes even before hitting the dance floor!

8. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I just love that picture!

But I will say that sometimes having a dance background doesn't help a person entering into Ballroom. I have the most difficult times with turns, because I still am in the habit to want to stand on my toes instead of pressing down on the floor. (Well, you know what I mean.) I think that no matter what the background is in your dancing that you will have some difficulty in Ballroom for more reasons than this too. ;)

9. ChaChaLicious

ChaChaLicious New Member

i disagree.. i think that having former dance training isnt a negative when it comes to ballroom dancing... in my experiance having former dance training in modern, jazz, ballet, hip hop and tap definitely improved my dancing when i started doing int'l latin. for instance, i've seen many beginners struggle with basic ballroom movements like hip extensions and hip twists, pointing toes, extending leg lines, using upper body for support and elongating the body etc... former training made ballroom that much easier for me. it also depends on the person, but in this particular case, karina and mario will knock every dance out of the ball park.. i feel it in my bones!!!

10. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I agree with ChaChaLicious. A dance background must help immensely; though I don't have one so can't speak from experience. The advantage of having already mastered balance, control, grace and the more athletic elements like spinning must be a huge help. I remember the first time I wore latin shoes. I thought I was gonna fall on my azz! It took me months and months to get used to just walking in heels (how you ladies can walk in pumps amazes me) forget about dancing. And, what to do with the arms. I hate arms ! What a PITA. One definite plus in Standard - I don't have free arms to worry about. I think coordinating arm with body is harder than swing and sway - at least for me.

I can't wait to see Karina dance! I wish the season would hurry up and start already,

11. gracie

gracie Active Member

Well, that is SOOO true! I've had a tough time doing heel leads and popping up on those toes with locked knees from so many years of ballet. I've even heard a judge say this about girls who have done ballet. Karina is my favorite Int. Latin Pro. Has anyone seen the instructional dvds she did with Slavic- they are phenomenal! Can't wait to see her on TV week after week (I hope!)

12. ChaChaLicious

ChaChaLicious New Member

yeh, ive seen the videos, ive seen them dance live... and they exttrodenary (did i spell that right? ? ?) any way, Karina is gorgeous, Slavik is Gorgeous... They are just (were) a Gorgeous couple... *SIGH*... cant wait for this season... super excited!

13. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

extraordinary - yeah, they were !

14. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Every time I look at K&S, I just go into a funk that they're not together. I have no idea why they broke up, but I wish they'd have a moment of clarity and get back together :)

15. Remember, Karina is also Louis ex partner. The demo dances with the 2 of them should be amazing.

16. Medira

Medira New Member

Oh goodness...I had forgotten about that! Oooooohhhhh....looking forward to it. :D

17. ChaChaLicious

ChaChaLicious New Member

oh boy... as did i... this is getting interesting already and the show didnt even air yet... wow... i guess i can truely say now that we really are crazy obsessed danceaholic fans... lol...extraordinary.. got it!!

18. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

She looks so different under that kind of light. I didn't recognise her at first.

T_E

19. ChaChaLicious

ChaChaLicious New Member

Karina has always looked good... !

20. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Well duh. It's KARINA. And who's this Mario fella anyway? He's gonna win with her as his partner.

T_E