Eastern US Dancesport

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mamboqueen, Dec 18, 2008.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

February 19-22 in Boston - who's going? Second year out for this comp and it was quite fun last year...great ballroom at the Park Plaza Hotel (very reasonably priced rooms for Boston). Hope to see many of you there :)

:banana:
  2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

might be there if we get ourselves together after vacation in Jan... will try
  3. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Anyone going to be competing Pre-Champ (Standard)?
  4. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

We will go if there are at least a few couples registered.
  5. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

where i can check for more information. it will be nice to go with our students.
  6. mamboqueen

Would love to see you here...just bring a couple of sweaters ;)

http://www.easterndancesport.com/
  7. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

thanks. let me check the site.

we are going on a bahamas in the beginning of february, but we have a couple of kids whom want to compete.
  8. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Looks like I'm in...pro/am latin!
  9. mamboqueen

good - was counting on you ;)
  10. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

It's a possibility for me.

I'm debating between Maryland and Eastern.

Maryland would obviously be much more affordable because it is local, and I've been to it before and enjoyed it. Unluckily for me, it is the SAME weekend as my college's production of "The Vagina Monologues,"* which I am in. That means I would have a show at 8 PM on Friday, get home around 10:30-11 PM, take off make-up, then leave around 5-6 AM for the Saturday morning session at Maryland, which starts at 8 AM about an hour and 15 minutes from here. I'm silver, so I probably wouldn't be in the very first event, BUT I would need time to have hair and make-up done, warm up, etc. Then I would go home and have call for the Saturday night "Vagina Monologues" at around 6 PM. It's do-able, but it's a lot. And I wouldn't get to see the pros, which I enjoy.

Eastern will I'm sure be more expensive (though I'm having a hard time estimating my costs because I'm not seeing prices on entries?) On the other hand, I like Boston, and I think I would enjoy watching the 10-dance event. .

There are a couple other possibilities in the mix as well, but that's my thinking right now.

CCM

*This is my 6th year in the cast, and this year, I'm doing "Outrageous Vagina Fact." Productions of this show raise money to fight violence against women, locally and worldwide.
  11. njdancegirl

Had the same issue so I emailed the organizer who provided pricing. Singles are $35/dance; scholarships are $85 I believe. Don't know the packages and I think ballroom entry fees are on the site. Hope this helps!
  12. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Awesome!
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

woo-hoo!

personally, have been planning on this one, but nothing in stone as yet.
  14. njdancegirl

Nothing in stone either, but looks like a go - will handle paperwork when pro returns from vacation. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
  15. rinachick

rinachick New Member

I'll be there dancing int'l standard and latin scholarships (probably silver, but maybe gold), and might be adding open smooth. I can't wait for this comp...really enjoyed it last year!
  16. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I plan to be there as well...dancing open am smooth and rhythm...although I think they're on different nights this year.
  17. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Wish I was going to compete, but made a committment not to...
    When we get about a month away from a comp our instructor puts down all technique instructions, runs us through rounds at every lesson, works primairly on presentation. She felt that we needed a solid quarter to work our technique without any competition prep or distractions, so we agreed no competition for a quarter. We agreed to this at the end of November with our next comp to be in March.

Will see if this was a good plan a few months from now.
  18. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Just got an e-mail from this comp and they are marketing tickets and merchandise as holiday gifts.

I think this is a great idea. In fact, I wonder if it could be extended NDCA-wide, and you could get gift cards good for use at any NDCA comp.

I get a lot of gifts that are so well meant but which I am highly unlikely to use. (A common phenomenon, I believe.) This I would use!
  19. mamboqueen

*bump*

Anyone else on board? Deadline is Jan 15.

FYI - the schedule has been changed for pro/am open scholarships and dancesport series. The originally scheduled Friday night events (latin/standard) have been switched with the Saturday night events (rythym/smooth).

Hope to see some of you there :)
  20. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

BU comp is Feb 22, so not dancing at Eastern this year.