Emerald Ball 2014

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancing Irishman, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Anyone else going to be watching the livestream? It's my coach's first comp since December and I'm excited to see how much he and his partner have grown in their dancing during the past four months of training.

Currently debating whether to watch the Rising Star Smooth / Latin Thursday (and stay up past midnight on a work night) or watch the Open Smooth / Latin Friday (staying up til about 2 am on a weekend...not terrible but I'd probably have to skip / delay Saturday morning workout).

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Thought about it, but I'm not inclined to pay-per-view. I'll catch it on YT.

3. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I'm probably gonna do the pay per view. Can't really budget the $60 per ticket on Friday and Saturday night at the moment. $9-$10 seems like a better deal to me!

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I'm shooting photos for DecaDance so on the corner of the floor myself. If any DFers are here, please feel free to come by and say hi!

As an aside, the ballroom has been totally redone since I was last here in 2012 and looks fantastic! (Great job by Wayne and all of his team.)

5. Dancing Irishman

FYI, if you're within 300 miles of the hotel you might be blacked out from livestreaming. There are probably tech-savvy ways around it, but I'm of no help

I decided to watch the livestream tonight. Now I just need to go buy an adapter cable so I can plug my work laptop into the TV! (Personal laptop has recently decided to develop a habit of overheating itself into crashing).

6. hereKittyKitty

Its ok. I'm only about 10 miles from the hotel :) just can't justify spending $60 for a ticket at the moment!

7. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

That was a fun stream tonight. There was a super artsy shot of the Zharinovs to start off one of the dances in the later rounds. Awesome.

8. Dancing Irishman

I'll second the fun stream comment. Awesome venue, overall good camera work, and shockingly little lagging / dropping for the entirety of my streaming session (definitely a marked improvement over OSB)

I'm also proud of myself on the "recognizing good dancing" front (or at least the judges' definition of the potentially contentious phrase). I managed to pick out the Perzhus as my favorite smooth couple from round 1 waltz, and I fixated on the eventual Latin winners (missed their names...whoops!) as my favorite couple when my coach wasn't dancing (he and his partner did not make the callbacks tonight :( ... but, they made the RS final yesterday!!).

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Kudos to some particularly courteous judges -- such as Toni Redpath and Jonathan Roberts -- who understand that the professional photographers have a job to do too, and are often even more limited with where they can stand. I know that many times judges are focused on the floor and don't notice where the photographers are set up, and that's understandable as well. Some judges, however, deliberately set up exactly in the way... which is rather unfair to all the dancers who end up without shots thanks to particular judges' backs.

j_alexandra and ajiboyet like this.
  10. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Fun stream again tonight, though there were quite a few more noticeable misses tonight than last night. Lots of missed moves, too many close-ups so that we lost the actual dancing, too much artistic blurring, awkward pans to unimpressed audience reactions throughout the whole night, especially during the showdance portion and show.

The show itself was a lot of fun too, though that final section was painfully awkward ... I loved the idea, but the execution fell a bit flat, at least over the stream. Perhaps it was more effective in person.

Egorich likes this.
  11. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Yeah.....I could do without the attempts at artistic filming. And, I'm not too happy with the service right now.

12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I wonder if any of the clips will eventually show up on the paradigm dvd channel. I hope so.

13. hereKittyKitty

I hope so, but they haven't posted anything except competition promos in a long time.

14. Dancing Irishman

They're currently trying to sell video of this year's emerald, so I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

15. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

Lots of clips on Supershag video site .
    Cheers
    Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM
  16. hereKittyKitty

I had a feeling they were heading in this direction.....well, at least you can still see full competitions on Dancesport total's youtube channel. I'll still keep an eye on Paradigms channel though as they may not charge for all competitions.

Last edited: May 5, 2014