Enlightening Conversations

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Larinda McRaven, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I suppose it was bound to happen. We have so many people here that seem to be on an Enlightened path. Unfortunately the conversations arise and highjack other threads. So here is a good place to keep the chit chat about personal growth up and running.

Here would be a great place to discuss books, programs, teachers, food, meditation... anything we have in our back pocket that helps nudge us along.

Injoy.

2. Larinda McRaven

I was drivng home from the competition this afternoon, thinking about my yoga class tonight and was overwhelmed by a feeling of complete ecstasy. The music was uplifting, the trees were beautiful. It was a great drive. I feel like every once in a while I read something or hear something that pushes me further along my path. And I have had some great conversations lately with friends.

A book I read years ago called Conversations With God keeps coming to mind. And how NDW kept saying that if you pray for what you are missing all you are doing is reinforcing the emotion and vibration that you lack something. I love that today I have not felt any holes or lack. My vibration has been quite high all day.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

tempted to say something fairly unenlightened about the merits of vibrating...BUT...lol...I will instead share this passage that I like ...this is actually M Scott Peck in People of the Lie, quoting CS Lewis from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe..."when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards"...that is, to say; "good people can deliberately allow themselves to be pierced by the evil of others...to be broken and yet somehow not broken" ... and "whenever this happens there is a slight shift of power in the world"....a shift for good

brokenness and wounds serve a purpose even though I would never be one to blame a deity for causing it...IMV, when someone learns to walk with grace and transcendence in spite of wounds, they strengthen and inspire those around them...they elevate the circles closest to them... and who knows the ripple from there...those of us who have benefitted from the ripples certainly do...

Chesterton said; blessed are the broken, for they let in the light

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

What a great thread idea!! I
    Beautiful. I love those moments...

One of the things I actually dislike about many popular enlightenment teachings is this concept that you shouldn't make a statement that you "want" something, for the reason you've described. Usually it's in the context of "wanting places it in the future and only reinforces that you don't have it."

In fact, desire is an intrinsic part of the manifestation process. It takes a lot of courage to feel the vibration of something yet unfulfilled...but there is so much power in it. The inner spirit even feels like it is "singing" something into being, and it's my experience that this is how the universe actually creates. And even the desires that we experience can come from a very evolved place...from that part that guides an individual toward her own fulfillment, as if the inner being provides the desire as a flag or marker for what is possible.

Anyway...just wanted to mention that...as I find the message "do not want" to be disempowering, because if we shut down our desire nature, we shatter our ability to manifest. Most people already have disempowered themselves because they find the discomfort of desire too...uncomfortable. I'm one to instead encourage "holding the frequency" to expand one's ability to maintain desire. Desire with certainty & gratitude is the universe's attraction principle in action. :)

That's great. It's my sense that the universe "reads" your core vibration...its gratitude, certainty, clarity, and wholeness...and manifesting occurs with ease based on this combined frequency. To manifest desires, it's so important to make choices to enhance that vibration...make it genuinely joyful...even sparkly...buoyed by gratitude. And keep feeding that...til the desired vision is fulfilled.

5. fascination

the tradition of which I am fond, has always been to pray ones desires...and it is a very very old tradition...

i think the real distinction lies in one's ability to to be in the moment without a specific expactaion or timetable as to how it will unfold...but to keep lifting ones intentions up...regardless of one's theology or worldview...it contributes to a deliberatenes that cannot help but increase the likelihood of success, however one defines it

6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

wonderful thoughts to think upon...thank you fasc.

7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

and Larinda, wonderful idea for a thread...

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Exactly. One of the teachings I am fond of--and the counterpoint to the version you've noted her--is that true prayer is to offer thanks [entity of your choice here] for that for which you are praying. For example, even if you have not yet met the love of your life, prayer should be thanks for this love, as this reinforces the presence (vs. lack) of this person.

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Nicely put. And I would add that there are times to raise them up and feel the desire, and time to release them in utter detachment, and times to act and times to withhold action...with the inner being providing guidance along the way.

Not a push-button, one-size-fits-all process... :)

10. fascination

totally...praying one's desires doesn't always mean praying to have them...it just means being real...and seeing where it goes from there

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

So true...

12. fascination

so true and so lovely...
    and much as most of us would rather have it be otherwise, the highest form of love doesn't discriminate...as the song goes; "if you can't be with the one you love...love the one you're with"...bloom where you are planted...real love isn't just a feeling...it is a decision....I will behave in a particular way whether or not I feel it b/c it is the loving thing to do...ultimately, IMV, that sort of behavior brings all sorts of good things to the giver

13. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I am reminded of the parable of the talents:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew 25:14-25:30&version=31

Whether one, "has," or, "has not," is often a matter of self-perception, or so it seems to me.

The message I come away with is that we are obliged to recognize *and grow* what we have, which I think isn't the same as being without desire. The point is to recognize the value of what's there, rather than sulk over what's not.

On a different note, I'm no expert, but the thought occurs that the Buddhists of the world have expended no small amount of grey matter on the notion of, "do not want." For example, I turned this up in a cursory web search:

http://www.buddhismtoday.com/english/philosophy/thera/013-desire.htm

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

fwiw, my own research indicates that the buddha's statement that all desire leads to suffering is actually a mistranslation... a correct statement would be along the lines of erroneous or misdirected desire (of the lower or inauthentic self) leading always to suffering.

15. DL

DL Well-Known Member

<enlightened but irreverent>
    Dunno how enlightened it is, but the version I heard about went, "If I'm not near the girl I love... I love the girl I'm near!"

...oh, here it is:
    http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/finiansrainbow/whenimnotnearthegirlilove.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npe7cbcMzUA (even includes a couple of dance steps)

(Did you mean a different song?)
    </enlightened but irreverent>

16. Larinda McRaven

I think I feel a distinct difference between desire/want and that of lack/unwhole. I think it is as easy as "I would love to have that" and "why don't I have that". I don't feel unwhole in anyway, yet there is still plenty of desire.

As I left the gurudwara tonight I noticed a sign (for a past even that should be thrown out already) that read something like "Feel so happy that everyone that sees you can't help but be happy too."

17. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Ah. :) Likewise:

"Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl... In the same way, let your light shine..."

It's fun to see how certain concepts pop up in similar ways in quite different places...

18. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I am so happy to see this thread. Re Larinda's mention of Neale Donald Wlash's "Conversations with God", IMHO, if one hasn't read this series...go get it, now. Books I and III are easier to understand for the layman or new to spiritual learning, and would be my urge. Book II could be a wee out there for the uninitiated. Though there are some Aha! moments, this reading will change your life, ...not in a thunder bursting way, but as subtle and gentle breeze that almost went unnoticed.

Another must read for those of us who are consistently on the path, is "The Wisdom of Florence Scovell Shinn". This is a collection of her only 4 books...a very short, but powerful read. The first, "The Game of Life (and How to Play it)" is still one of the best 'guidance' books available. I carry "The Wisdom of..." with me everywhere...everyday.

On the topic of desire vs lack vs asking vs acceptance, just a short note. It is OK to desire, for this is the key to growth. As has been said, we do not, however, dwell on the desire/lack thereof of the subject of same. It is by faith that we pray (converse w/ God [Higher Power]), and by faith that we do not dwell on the lack of, but live as though we have already received the desire. It is written that our words are our bonds, and we will reap that which we sow; therefore, we receive that which we speak into earnest desire, and attract that which we put out the energies to receive.

19. fascination

I would add that to pray one's desires can allow a detachment from them

20. fascination