Enlightening Conversations

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Larinda McRaven, Nov 2, 2008.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I suspect even my dancing is plagiarised...

2. Aura

Aura Active Member

I find I personally struggle with the true self vs. persona. I've intermingled them so much that I have trouble telling the two apart. However, I think, even though I am proud of who I am, it scares me also. That's why I use my persona. It's a mask to hide what lies beneath.

I've had discussions with Mom about this, and she says that this sort of awkward facade is normal, especially for school-kids like myself. Hopefully, this New Year, I can resolve to loosen my walls a bit, and allow myself to become a bit more vulnerable.

3. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

You are what you pretend to be.
    One of my favorite exercises when thinking about what true self means. Pick some favorite food or drink of yours, and imagine you could magically make yourself become indifferent to it, or replace it with something else, would you?
    Some people, when presented with this possibility, are somewhat frightened by it. "If I didn't like chocolate, would I still be me?"

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

agree...we choose who we want to be and our habits become our character...where we are in the process of "becoming" is not so relevant...IMO

5. bordertangoman

surely that is cathexisising chocolate. If you identify yourself with eating chocolate then you are cathethicting it, but if you just eat it then its not what you are.

I struggle to get this across to my daughter. she identifies with what she doesnt eat, not necessarily because she doesnt like it. So her logic is that she doesnt like it, becuase she doesnt identify with it..so she Anticathexises lots of foods.

6. CANI

CANI Active Member

http://www. youtube.com/watch?v=fLJsdqxnZb0&feature=relmfu (delete the space)

This talk by Shawn Achor made me laugh. Several things we’ve talked about in this thread…nothing new, but I enjoyed watching it…gratitude (I think wonderwoman mentioned this), the what-do-Harvard-students-have-to-be-unhappy-about (reminded me of a topic Peaches had discussed), you determine your happiness level and how that relates to your energy level, mental ability, etc....plenty to take with a grain of salt, but I found it worth the watch...

7. bordertangoman

Seen and Not Seen

He would see faces in movies, on T.V., in magazines, and in books....
    He thought that some of these faces might be right for him....And
    through the years, by keeping an ideal facial structure fixed in his
    mind....Or somewhere in the back of his mind....That he might, by
    force of will, cause his face to approach those of his ideal....The
    change would be very subtle....It might take ten years or so....
    Gradually his face would change its' shape....A more hooked nose...
    Wider, thinner lips....Beady eyes....A larger forehead.

He imagined that this was an ability he shared with most other
    people....They had also molded their faced according to some
    ideal....Maybe they imagined that their new face would better
    suit their personality....Or maybe they imagined that their
    personality would be forced to change to fit the new appear-
    ance....This is why first impressions are often correct...
    Although some people might have made mistakes....They may have
    arrived at an appearance that bears no relationship to them....
    They may have picked an ideal appearance based on some childish
    whim, or momentary impulse....Some may have gotten half-way
    there, and then changed their minds.

He wonders if he too might have made a similar mistake.

8. CANI

CANI Active Member

"I moved downstairs into the living room and picked up Emerson and his essay, "Spiritual Laws."

The whole course of things goes to teach us faith. We need only obey. There is guidance for each of us, and by lowly listening we shall hear the right word.

Last night, the right word came from eight-year-old Alexander Lamm from San Francisco, who came with his parents for dinner. When I told them about the book I was trying to write, Alexander looked at me solemnly and dug into his eight years of experience to say, "A book has to pull you along. It has to be full of inspiration and make you want to do things you hadn't thought of doing before." What good simple advice!"
    --The Journal Keeper: A Memoir by Phyllis Theroux (a gorgeous book thus far:)...)

I loved this excerpt because it touches on a wonderful concept -- our teachers are ALL around us. Are we listening?

(Not really sure exactly what Emerson means by "obey"...methinks will need to be doing some Emerson reading in the near future...)

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Very true and very profound, IME, CANI. The example used is also very apt. Children can be among the best teachers, because they are observant and honest and (often) haven't yet leanred the barriers and emotional filters that many adults hide behind.

As usual, thanks for sharing the things you're learning on your journey. :-D

10. CANI

CANI Active Member

I'll share a few more gems from this book -- there are so many within it -- I recommend it.

"Yesterday's gifts:...my mother's continuing presence and example. She is so gentle, without the need to proselytize. I see myself as insistent and demanding, pushing my opinions on others."
    ---
    "Today, lunch with Francesca's friend Annabelle Lund, who is always doing the unheard-of thing. Recently, she returned from Bosnia, where she had commandeered an ambulance and made dozens of trips out of the war zone, ferrying children to safety. She didn't speak Serb or Croatian, she just faked her way through all the checkpoints. I asked her what early influences made her the person she is today.

"My parents," she replied. "They taught me that if you have an eye for other people's suffering, you have an obligation to do something about it that other people who don't see it don't have."
    ---
    "For so many years, more than half my life, I struggled with the emotional belief that if I could rest secure in the love of a partner I would blossom, like a flower well and truly planted. The idea that I had soil enough of my own took a long time to mature." (Her marriage ended in divorce after her husband cheated on her and left her, with three young children in the age 2-10 range.)
    ---
    "A line from a luminous Indian movie, Water, in which one of the characters say of Mahatma Gandhi, "Gandhi is a man who listens to his conscience." Immediately I thought, Do I?"
    ---
    "Your journal should be a wise friend who helps you create your own enlightenment. Choose what you think has some merit or lasting value, so that when you reread your journal in years to come it continues to nourish you."

--The Journal Keeper: A Memoir by Phyllis Theroux

With that, I'm off! Hope everyone enjoys more 'enlightening conversations' as the thread continues to grow...:smile:

11. pygmalion

wow. Haven't posted here in a billion years. Just want to share what my (much smarter than she looks) GF told me yesterday.

"You can have fear or you can have faith, but not both."

Not trying to start a long and drawn out discussion, although, if one starts, that's fine by me. :cool:

Her words struck me as profoundly true, in a connected to the cosmos way, not just a church on Sunday kinda way. Figured I'd share. :cool:

12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Nice. I like that, a lot.

13. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

It works for an affirmation, but for me it doesn't bear much scrutiny. Unless you define fear as not just an emotion, but acting based solely on that emotion. You don't need faith if you don't have fear.

14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I agree. Fear is not the antithesis of faith. Faith is believing in spite of fear.

15. fascination

16. pygmalion

Interesting responses.

Maybe I should have given some context for my GF's statement. We were talking about a handful of major life decisions I am facing, so I took her to mean "One can act in fear or act in faith," even though those are not the exact words she used. To your point, TT, the wording does make a difference.

Reminds me of the Indiana Jones movie -- The Last Crusade? Where Indy has to take the leap from the lion's mouth and, when he does, the previously invisible stone bridge that's been there all along appears right under his feet. To your point, L, he was scared poopless, but he acted in faith despite his fear and stepped out (either that, or he was really motivated to save his Dad's life. Love that movie. :wink: )

I've had an invisible bridge appear under my feet, seemingly miraculously, multiple times very recently.

More thoughts rumbling around in there. I may be back.

17. DL

DL Well-Known Member

wholeheartedly agree

18. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Faith is a lie we tell ourselves when we have no control over our fears.

ETA: I may or may not believe that. But this thread has been too quiet lately, so I thought I'd throw that out there. ;)

19. fascination

wow...that's awfully cynical...given that faith can mean a variety of things

20. DL

DL Well-Known Member

If this goes the way of talk radio, count me out...