Funstuff and Inspiration > Enlightening Conversations

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Larinda McRaven, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

stellar

j_alexandra likes this.
  2. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    "The only freedom which cannot be taken away is your attitude."
    As life's difficulties are sending me back into the embrace of Buddhism, I find myself making a greater effort to show friendliness, compassion, and the benefit of a doubt to everyone.

bordertangoman and j_alexandra like this.
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I have been re-reading this thread, and I found this post from an earlier, younger, significantly less patient version of myself. I am pleased to report that she was wrong; it has not been a lifelong challenge to learn to see awkwardness and ineptness as useful and necessary and worth celebrating. It's taken years, but Teach's teaching has paid off -- and I'm talking about Teach telling me that it's valuable to go deeply to my learning place and find substance.

In short:

I've come to a point in my learning at which, when I screw up, when I get something totally, utterly new, incomprehensible, something so alien that I can't even see what I'm looking at, and he wants me to do it? I no longer freeze. I no longer hate or fear it. I no longer have the knee-jerk "can't" reaction. I say, "HOW COOL IS THAT" and try it. Again and again. I'll do it 10,000 times; 9,990 of which will be something other than optimal. But I know that I learn from all of those less than optimal attempts, and that going deep is worth it, worth it, worth it.

I'm not blowing my dance horn, here. I'm celebrating that I can learn, and learn, and learn, and the lessons learned in that studio have paid off in ways I could never imagine. Reading what JA wrote four years ago? She sounds like someone I used to know. And that blew my mind.

I only know who I am moment by moment. And I don't know how I got here.

All the good books recommended here, all the schools of thought, all the ideas shared, yet I can't point to any and say, f'rex, ACIM or Pema Chodron or Wayne Dyer or whoever was the catalyst; perhaps some or all of them contributed. And all of you who wrote in this thread, and shared your ideas of what constitutes enlightenment. Thank you all. You are part of me.

samina, chomsky and fascination like this.
  4. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I am just envious..70% I am afraid...it used to be 70% wow, this is cool now it's 30%. But I guess that when you reach bottom that's when you prove to yourself how really passionate you are. you are an amateur, the word stems from the latin amo, you love, you have a passion...love is love when things are hard, not when they're easy...

5. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I am so going to steal this for my fb!!!thank you!thanks for writing this!

6. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

Love everything you said here, gotta work on these 3....not a morning person (better nowadays), almost never make bed (except for when guests coming), and tend to goof off before bed time even when I'm tired (oh this one is hard) lol

7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

nice to see this thread bumped; I've been thinking about it recently

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    samina likes this.
  8. Larinda McRaven

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

anger is always fear (?)...I saw it posted somewhere....I am ambivalent....thoughts?

10. Larinda McRaven

I totally agree with this. In the purest sense there are only two emotions we have. Fear or Love. All others are simply varied expressions of the two base emotions.

As in when you are angry it is really fear of your sense of self, opinions, story you tell, etc... being threatened. Your ego is challenged.

http://www.awakin.org/read/view.php?tid=680

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    j_alexandra likes this.
  11. fascination

thanks for sharing...I agree for the most part , but continue to be ambivalent about most statements which contain the claims of "all" and having seen many types of anger which arise from loss, I will probably continue to be....but it's an interesting concept

12. Larinda McRaven

Anger is the fight part of the fight/flight response. And when you encounter loss and grief, anger is a natural fight response to that. Depression would be the flight response.

But still those emotions, anger, sense of loss, grief, depression... all stem from fear. Not simplified fear as in OMG there is a monster under my bed, but fear as in my world is not safe, I am not safe, things happen that I am not in control of.

When we encounter fear that we are not in control it can be expressed via all sorts of negative emotions.

13. fascination

I get your point, I just remain undecided on it...on whether or not I think that framework is the best theoretical explanation of every experience of anger and what it boils down to...I think a person can be angry about loss without the best explanation of that anger boiling down to fear....or ego....I think it is a mostly valuable construct most of the time, but I don't see it as necessarily an absolute or always best understood in that way....but, that is why I threw the question out.....to hear other thoughts...and to reinforce the reality that folks can in fact disagree without being disagreeable :)

14. Larinda McRaven

Lol

And when we are being disagreeableand angry it still boils down to fear :) Fear of not being heard, of being marginalized, fear that our world as we perceive it (and wish it to stay under our control) is not safe. That our "ego" is threatened.

How'd ya like THAT?!?

15. fascination

16. Larinda McRaven

“Everything you want is on the other side of fear.”
    - Jack Canfield

I think this is among the same lines.

j_alexandra likes this.
  17. Larinda McRaven

Well Wayne Dyer has passed on. He was mentioned a lot in this thread. I am glad that I was able to learn from him, and will continue to learn from him though his books, videos, and through our conversations when we share our stories.

Mr 4 styles and j_alexandra like this.