Enlightening Conversations

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Larinda McRaven, Nov 2, 2008.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

actually, the statement doesn't contradict "i am the alpha & the omega", so...i could very well be a biblical christian. ;)

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lol...depends upon who you ask;)

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

This thread just continues to remind me of reasons why I've never been accused of being enlighteneed. :)

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

absolutely! lol...

6. fascination

"...have no fear of human sin. Love people even in their sin, for that is the semblance of Divine Love and is the highest love on earth. Love all of creation, the whole and every grain of sand in it...Love every leaf, every ray of light...Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will percieve the divine mystery in things...Once you percieve it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day... and you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love".....from The Brothers Karamazov

7. fascination

thought you might like the quote above, sam....

another something to ponder; rather than saying the divine is in your heart imagine the entire world in the heart of the divine...(can't remember where I got this)

another...do everything within your power to lead people to the divine love, and if absolutely neccessary, you may even use words :) (loose paraphrase of St. Francis I believe)

and from some other saint:

When I was young I wanted to change the world... as I grew older I thought perhaps I should just focus on my local area... as I grew older I realized that I needed to focus on my family and friends... and now as I lay dying I realize that if only I had worked harder on changing myself, I really could have changed the world

8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

LOVE this!

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

interesting contrast between your goals back then, and tose of RAH, one of my main philosophical advisors, fasc. Tned to stick with his definition of rationalal anarachists, in taht I don't care waht others vote for/what, as in any legislation, I'll comply wit hthose I agree with, and those I disagree with. Which of coursecomplies with the idea of informed rational anarchy. But that is a discussion for another day.

10. fascination

goals back then??? and those of RAH...????? huh????

11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Shaw once wrote (paraphrasing):

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world in which they live. Unreasonable people attempt to change the world to suit themselves.

Therefore, all progress depends upon unreasonable people.

12. fascination

or regress depending upon the nature of the unreasonable ;)

13. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I debated with myself how far to go down that road here. I found a few relevant links to writings on this subject from the Vatican.

I'll post for now only a link to a take by John Paul II on the definition issue you raised. I note that it even references the, "alpha and omega," quote you employed.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/audiences/alpha/data/aud19850904en.html

It seems to strike the right balance between talking to that definition, offering some insight, pointing out certain incompatibilities with certain Christian traditions, and not causing me to seem preachy or evangelical. I hope.

14. DL

DL Well-Known Member

<shallow enlightenment>
    Then there's the old saw:

If, "pro," is the opposite of, "con,' ...
    </shallow englightment>

15. Chiron

Chiron New Member

I really like those. The best I've come up with my own enlightment (or lack there of) is:

I don't understand
    I will never fully understand
    Regardless, I'm going to keep trying to understand
    And I'm ok with that...

I guess that's why I'm in academia

16. fascination

that would be good b/c we want to avoid that ;)

17. fascination

I find poeple who know that they don't know to be profoundly less dangerous than those who think they do....hmmm...now where have I read about that before;)?

18. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Okay Angel, just to let you know that your recommendation has already helped me a bit, and I will share with others who may want to try the exercise since it worked for me today. I will preface by saying my head was not in a good place at my last lessons because of some *stuff* that happened immediately beforehand and I just couldn't really shake it and dance well. Out of the Shinn book, which I'm just starting, it gave me an exercise of sitting quietly and breathing deeply in and out through the nose. Just quieting the mind and then asking the God within to take my *stuff* and let me be just relaxed and let my body do what it knows it can do...and guess what? I handed it over and had some of my best dancing today. I made a couple of mistakes, but because my mind was just in the moment and my body was relaxed, I just kept going. It was great.

I am sure this probably sounds hokey to some people. It probably would haves sounded a bit silly to me a year ago. But it worked for me. My head is my worst enemy in dancing. So, even as I risk sounding like a nutburger, I just offer it up as something to try if you're in need of something new to try to relax yourself and let go. Yeah...it's probably Meditation 101 for many, but the "handing it over" was a new experience for me.

Just thought I'd share :)

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very nice experience of peace, MQ...in discovering that you could hand it over and release that hyper-vigilant feeling that causes so much stress. Happy for you.

20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

ouch; I felt that!