Ballroom Dance > Entering the WDSF in Europe

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by caw, Mar 24, 2014.

  1. caw

    caw Active Member

    Is anybody familiar with WDSF ABCDEF rules? I haven't been able to find much information on them in English, but my friend in Europe told me if I wanted to move there and compete, I'd have to start in F (Bronze) and take years to work my way up to the higher level I ought to be competing at. This might just be in his country - can anyone corroborate this?

    If I have points from winning competitions in USA dance, would those be able to transfer me straight into a level?

    Bailamosdance likes this.
  2. DanceMentor

    DanceMentor Administrator

    I believe USA Dance is aligned with the WDSF, so you should have no problem. They just had a WDSF event in California recently, and there may be more opportunities before you leave to compete in WDSF in the US. For a time, they were sort of pushed out of the USA when NDCA and USA Dance split, but I think they are slowly working their way back in.
  3. Bailamosdance

    Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

    I assume you should contact your Dancesport representative (or any of them, there are 4). They can help you. And let us know here what you find...
  4. caw

    caw Active Member

    "Once you have moved, your new country will need to request a transfer and accept your membership. USA Dance will grant that request without any problem. They will also tell you how your dance level converts to theirs. Good luck with the move and your future dancing.

    Best Regards,

    Ken RichardsVP of DanceSport, USA Dance"
  5. Sania

    Sania Well-Known Member

    I thought level rules were intended to prevent people from dancing below their level (I.e. sandbagging) not from dancing up - is it different in Europe?
  6. Terpsichorean Clod

    Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

    In the U.S., we point out of levels - earn points that disqualify us from lower divisions. I think other countries point in to levels - earn points that qualify them to dance in higher divisions.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  7. Joe

    Joe Well-Known Member

    I know in Switzerland years ago an ex-partner moved there and told me they had little dance "passports" that they would get stamped if they had a certain result at a comp. Collect the correct number/type of stamp, and you can move up to the next level.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  8. Bailamosdance

    Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

    It is not as simple, since not all countries are aligned with the WDSF. Also, migration is not a license to move past your level. In the USA, competitions do not prevent you from dancing in 'skill' levels, but do prevent in age protected levels. You may find you are in a country where you migrate to level C but yes, you may spend quite a long time in that level before moving out of it.

    Also, the WDSF is not the only organization - and in some cases, not the biggest in the country you are going to. WDC might be more helpful in this case in finding out specifics.

    What country is the person moving to?
  9. caw

    caw Active Member

    I'm thinking of moving to France, where the WDSF has a presence through the Federation Francaise de danse (FFD) and the WDC has a presence through the Academie des Maitres de Danse de France (AMDF). The WDSF is better for amateurs - not only does it have more amateurs in it, but the WDC mixes all open couples from fresh out of gold to european finalists.

Share This Page