Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

YUp. I feel the same way as you do Laura, when I have gone without sustenance. The cold feeling...tired...

2. alemana

alemana New Member

i don't have trouble eating throughout the day... i need to eat FEWER times, not more. if i had my way i'd be putting food into my mouth 24/7.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

It's frustratring to me...I've been avoiding this stuff for years except on special occaisions...stopped eating ice cream except a few times a year over five years ago...and still -- FAT. I swear that just thinking about food makes me gain weight. It can be so infuriating at times.

With all the weight I've gained over the years you'd think I do nothing but eat donuts all day, but that is so untrue. It makes me mad because that's one of the stereotypes that people hold in their heads when they look at overweight people, that we eat junk food and sweets all the time. Sooooo untrue in my case. I even managed to gain weight eating a 100% organic raw-foods vegan diet, which means I was subsisting on fresh fruits and vegetables along with nuts and seeds (supposedly a magic cure-all for the evils of modern society including factory farming, animal cruelty, obesity, low libido, low energy, etc etc). Fortunately, now that I've gone back to eating animal protein, I've started losing the weight I gained during my vegan experiment.

Another stereotype that infuriates me is that overweight people don't know enough about nutrition. I know plenty, I've read enough books on the subject plus saw a nutritionist for a while a few years ago. I eat all organic as much as possible, avoid the white things (sugar, potatoes, flour), in fact don't eat things with wheat in them very much at all (like pasta maybe twice a year), don't really drink sodas, am not a cheese fiend. Plus I've been to the doctor and gotten hormone tests, adrenal tests, thyroid tests, blood lipid tests, parasite tests, vitamin deficiency tests....

And then there's the lazy stereotype, but between the dancing, skating, gym, Pilates, etc....

Sometimes I think for me it's mostly mental. I feel constantly bombarded with commentary that I'm going to die, that being thin will make me happy, that people will like me more if I'm thin, that there's something wrong with me as a person because I'm not thin, that I'm not trying hard enough to be thin. That I just have to eat more of X and less of Y to achieve a socially acceptable body. That I just have to use supplement P or vitamin R to jumpstart my weight loss. I've tried Trim-Spa, hoodia, citrimax, and so on. Done Slim-fast, Cambridge Medical Diet (a 330-calorie a day liquid fast), water fasting, Atkins, Protien Power, Weight Watchers, Scarsdale, Carbohydrates Addict's Diet, Brown Rice Diet, Beverly Hills Diet, Vegetarianism, Veganism. I just want everyone and everything off my back. People say I have to lose the weight "for myself," but that's impossible for me because every day I hear about the obesity epidemic in the US, the health care crisis, the unsavoryness of myself as a human being because I take up extra space, and so on, so no matter what I do I feel like I'm doing it for someone else because they told me to or because they'll like me more if I do. Even now.

Really, once I lose enough weight to get back into the wonderful pants I bought last fall in London, then after that I'm not doing it for me any more -- I'm doing it for the dance judges. If it weren't for them looking at me and making evaluations about my dancing based on the thickness of my waistline and the size of my butt, I wouldn't bother going as far with this as I am going to have to go. And even if I go as far as I can, based on body composition analysis done by my doctor, I will still be overweight by dance standards and also by the standards set by the US government! If you compare my lean body mass plus 20% body fat (considered perfectly healthy, even by the government) to the BMI I will have at that weight, or to the height and weight charts, I will still be overweight. So faced with that, I kind of wonder "why bother?" It all seems so arbitrary and pointless to put all these numbers on a person like that.

So I get angry and frustrated. I'm okay about it all right now, though, meaning I'm not actively angry this week. I just wonder how and where it all went wrong, both for me personally and for the well-meaning people out there trying to help.

4. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I hear ya, Laura. I definitely think that I live a much healthier lifestyle, and know much more about nutrition than many of the skinny minnie's out there. And after being on the diet roller coaster for a number of years, one's metabolism takes a beating, and it gets harder every time. Plus, if you keep cutting out foods that you like every time you want to jump start a weight loss program, eventually you run out of things to cut out.

Mini rant: It drove me crazy when a VERY skinny friend of mine was eating enough for 3 people, as she often does, when we went out to eat. I said something to the effect of, "I have no idea where you put it all". Her response? "Oh, well, I'm very active". Aaaaaaaah! If only that was all it took for me, I'd be 50 lbs lighter. Ok, mini rant over.

I'm definitely still doing it primarily for me, but I still can't help caring what the dance judges and the rest of society thinks.

I'm going to Florida over Memorial Day weekend. I have to wear a bathing suit for the first time this year. I'm already having waking nightmares about it.

5. Laura

Laura New Member

Skwiggy, have you been to Florida lately? I was there last April and was amazed to see that I was slender compared to a lot of the people wandering around. Get a nice sarong and have a good time.

Unless you're going to Miami Beach, of course. Then it's all about the Beautiful People.

I'm leaving tomorrow to go on a cruise to Bermuda with my mom. Lots of large people there, too. It's funny how I actually meet the medical definition of obese (it means being more than 20% over your ideal body weight), yet I still look fit and shapely compared to people on the cruise ships I've been on.

The best thing about the cruise, aside from going to Bermuda and hanging out with my mom, is that someone else will be making salad and cooking meat for me. The one downside to low-carbing for me is washing all those veggies, and also that the house always smells of meat. I like meat, but it can be weird to come home and smell it everywhere.

I've been on this particular cruise line three times now, and they always have the same menus, so the fabulous desserts have lost the power to tempt me because I've tried them all at least once. They're all great but I know that already so I don't need to check...no delicious mysteries there....

6. skwiggy

I'm going to West Palm. I was just there in December, and I felt as big as a house. It's not even about how everyone around me looks in a bathing suit, so much as I don't like how I look.

I'm hoping to go on a cruise this coming December with my boyfriend and his family. Talk about a challenge for my diet!

Have a great time in Bermuda!

7. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Have a super wonderful time, skwiggy and Laura. You are both wonderful, caring people. Thanks for sharing.

I went to pilates today. It was a combo of matwork and ball work. Enjoyable.

8. Laura

Laura New Member

Depending on which line you travel on, the food might be so "meh" that it will be easy for you to be good.

Well, except for the fruity drinks involving rum and little paper umbrellas, but I figure you've got to have some fun, right?!

I've unilaterally defined red wine as low-carb. I have to have a vice or two or this won't work for more than another couple of weeks. I have some guy friends who did great low-carbing -- and they unilaterally defined beer to be low-carb (and not crappy low alcohol beer, but good stuff) and still lost all the fat they wanted.

I think it's good to have a planned vice, so as to let off some steam and not make you feel like your diet has taken you out of the mainstream of life.

9. alemana

alemana New Member

i have ten pounds to go in 7 weeks and the scale is not budging. starting to feel hopeless.

10. skwiggy

I've only ever been on one cruise, and the food was "meh", but I still managed to eat way too much of it. And I definitely managed to drink way too much, even though my traveling companion didn't drink at all! It just ended up being more for me when someone wanted to buy us drinks. ;) I think the line we're look at for this trip is a nicer one though, so I would assume the food would follow suit.

Last time I went though, we stuck to a "no elevator" rule, which helped a lot in not gaining weight. Constant stairmaster! Plus, we made sure to hit the gym on every at sea day, without fail.

I have declared Pinot Grigio to be low-carb. ;) Even though I prefer red wine, I heard that Pinot G. actually is the lowest carb wine, so that has been my drink of choice. I am allowing myself 1-2 drinks no more than once a week. That's my vice. Although on vacation, all bets are off for drinking. Like you said, gotta have some fun! :)

11. skwiggy

What happens in 7 weeks?

12. skwiggy

Aw, tanx. :)

13. Laura

Laura New Member

I feel your frustration. I have felt this frustration in the past many times. You have my every sympathy.

14. Laura

Laura New Member

Yep, we do the same thing. It's really cute going to the gym with my mom...she's become kind of a jock in her later years. Not that she's out running marathons, but she has gotten really into going down to the gym and doing her treadmill workout.

She's warned me that she's dragging me all over Bermuda to look at houses and gardens, which is just fine by me. Lots of walking will be great. I don't like laying on the beach (and it will be too cold there anyway).

Another thing to watch is the late-night eating. We take second-seating dinner, and we're never hungry again for the late-night treats or buffets.

Oh yeah -- so the food is probably higher in sodium than what you get at home, which makes you retain water. A woman on the Cruise Critic board suggested eating parseley every day because it will act as a mild diruetic and will help you to flush out the extra sodium. So just crunch down whatever garnish they put on your plate. She swears it works. I'll let you know how it goes when I try it next week.

15. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

Whoa, if I didn't know better, I'd swear you were channeling Maria Shriver there . . . .

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Huh? Maria Shriver? Why?

The smell of meat is very noticeable, to me, too. Sometimes gross, IMO. Since I use the crockpot a lot, when I walk into the house at the end of the day, I can really notice it. Depending on my mood and my state of health, the smell of meat can be anything from irresistible to nauseating. lol.

17. Laura

Laura New Member

I like the smell of roasted or stewed meat, but the lingering smell of a hambuger hanging in the air is a different story. Although the hamburger was delicious.

I'm going out for some sashimi in a bit....

18. skwiggy

Wow, who knew? And parsley is also supposed to be great for your breath. I'll have to try it!

19. LXC

LXC New Member

I've been trying to get fitter and cut an inch off my waist since March. I've picked up yoga, pilate or sometimes cardio classes in addition to my dance practice. I do feel stronger and better now, but my weight and waistline haven't changed a bit! I do watch over what I eat and haven't increased my calorie intake. Why???:( Do I have to put myself on diet and feel starved to shave that extra inch/few pounds off?

20. alemana

alemana New Member

an occasional cardio class is a surefire way not to lose weight.
    classes in general: no love.

you need a focused cardio workout minimum three times a week.