Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I started to get back in the pool last week after being away from it for 4 years. Ugh I have no endurance. I wasn't so sore the day before, but man I was having a hard time just getting through sets. Didn't help that I went in with no plan. I found a few sets online that I'm going to try to get through, but they look tough! Yay cross-training :confused:

3wishes likes this.
  2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Been gone from free weight circuit training since April 30th, Will start again next week, it really helped with my stamina at Emerald, and as much as I whine and I'm convinced he (trainer) wants me to scream UNCLE at 60 reps....I will continue to remind myself that I wasn't even breathing hard during or after or in-between rounds. EMBRACE the 60 reps...keep saying that over and over to myself beginning Monday! when he smiles and looks at me and says "I've been waiting for you"...bhawwwwwhahahahahahaha.

stash likes this.
  3. stash

stash Well-Known Member

In the fall I will be taking a weight training class twice a week for credit! Should be interesting. I know I will be one of three girls (at least) in that class. My best friend will be in it as well as her friend. Yay woman power.

middy likes this.
  4. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Restarted c25k today. Maybe I'll make it past week 1 this time. Pollen count was apparently pretty high though cause my eyes started freakin' out about halfway through.

5. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

I really need to do c25k and get over my silly fear of running. Sigh.

I'm on week 3 of 200 sit-ups and week 2 of 100 pushups! Again... LOL

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Had my "first" circuit free weight training yesterday after 3 weeks. THANK goodness, he said "this will be short, you haven't been here understandable" - so 30 reps of each,,,thing he threw at me. I'm so happy, then he came up and said,,,in the last series,,,,,"90"...uhhhh did I hear right...as in 9-0 together. He smiles and walks away, turns head,,,"you heard right".
    I seriously will not trust his words anymore. HA!

7. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Went back to the gym and did some free weights and cardio after a 3-month break...while I've gotten weaker it wasn't as bad as I expected. Time to get back into the habit!

Mr 4 styles and fascination like this.
  8. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

I had a weight goal to reach by my comp next weekend, but I'm nearing 17 pounds over it now....guess that's going down like a new years resolution. I'm just very dissapointed in myself because it was such a small goal and I really wanted to reach it for once in my life.

9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

SHRED diet... it will work

10. middy

middy Well-Known Member

You could adjust your "deadline" to a later time and still try for it! Or look at other progress you've made, perhaps? Don't beat yourself up too much!

alexandrahweis likes this.
  11. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Third gym trip in the past week or so, my usual combo of cardio and free weights. Feeling the DOMS in my legs like whoa but it's nice to get back into a regular habit; hopefully it'll stick.

Lioness likes this.
  12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

With uni getting intense I've cut my gym sessions down to one intense one every Wednesday. Lots of sets, working with a trainer. It's great, and through that and increasing my eating, I've actually lost weight and broken through a month-long plateau!

fascination likes this.
  13. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Trying a new lifting program, New Rules of Lifting for Women (it's a book). On workout #3 so far, it's pretty challenging to get through but kind of fun doing new stuff!

Lioness likes this.
  14. Lioness

I've heard lots of good things about NROLFW! I'm debating between sticking with Stronglifts or progressing to a more intense 5/3/1 routine...I had a month or so off so I think I'll build up my strength again to a point where I'm stalling, then think about switching over.

15. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Since I just started, I can't say much about the rest of the program, but I like the first stage so far. I think people who like varieties and variations on lifts would enjoy it? They emphasize functional basic lifts, but also add in lots of other stuff, so there's no room for boredom. Also it's better if you have access to a decent amount of equipment. If you do it, you might want to skip or shorten some of the early stuff cause it's more geared towards beginners. It's a good book for informing women why lifting is good and won't make them "bulky" and "manly."

16. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I am back baby! I've given up on running. Some things just were never meant to be. Maybe when I lose more weight... but I doubt it.

So I'm trying this bodyweight strength training program I found on reddit. So far I've been doing it for three weeks and I'm already seeing awesome changes! It's nice because 90% of the workout requires no equipment. The other 10% can be done with a pull-up bar and a dip bar. Also, it has progressive exercises. Have terrible form on push-ups? Start with wall pushups... work up to angled push-ups... then real push-ups... then diamond push-ups... then if somehow those get easy, try planche. (Ugg!)

Anyway. If anyone is curious, here are the workout links in image form.

Beginner:
    http://i.imgur.com/MwbAD.png
    Intermediate:
    http://i.imgur.com/o3bRo.png

Here is a site with an older version of the workout. But it has clickable videos that describe each exercise if you don't know what they are.

http://bodyweightfitness.routinemorning.com/

Anyways, what do you folks think? Have you ever tried a routine like this? I think it might be good for dancers. There is a TON of core work as well as a balance component.

17. Lioness

I've heard some good things about progressive bodyweight routines (as in exercises progress in difficulty)

You don't need much equipment, and as long as you keep challenging yourself (doing harder versions of pushups instead of just more, etc.), then you'll get stronger.

For example...look up Dragon Flags...super hard Ab exercises. One day I will be able to do them.

18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i can do it now!!! and im tall but only once!!

thanks to tabata core doom !! look it up

19. Lioness

Any tips on how to deal with eating healthily when coping with stress? I tend to eat when I'm stressed/bored, and I don't eat healthy things. I need cheap foods I can either prep on the go, or freeze and defrost at Uni.

Right now I'm huge and I'm not a fan.

20. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Bananas and cottage cheese are my go to healthy and fast meal