Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I like yogurt & fresh fruit, especially berries with Greek yogurt - either vanilla flavored, or plain with a bit of brown sugar or honey added in. The big cartons that are a quart (or I guess in other countries might come in 0.5 L or something, I have no idea) are pretty cost-efficient. Another good snack is carrots with hummus. Or some cheese and whole-wheat Ritz crackers, mmm.

On another note, I did three pull-ups today (not pretty-looking ones, mind you) at the end of my workout and felt like a boss. :)
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Discovered a great online caloric need calculator at work today (while I was, ahem, researching work-related things of course) and found my needed 'maintain' intake is higher than I thought. No wonder I have been struggling with energy dips and keeping my weight even - I'm about 400 daily calories short of where I apparently should be! I now need to spend some time re-thinking my diet to figure out the healthiest way to add some more in without feeling gross.
    Lioness likes this.
  3. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I found the same thing: try peanut butter, nuts, etc.
  4. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Almond butter takes some getting used to, but I like it, too- especially the maple-flavored. It's easy to get hooked on pistachios as well.
  5. Lioness

So 7 weeks ago I joined the "Max's Challenge"...a 12 week fitness thing...I thought "Alright! Semester is 12 weeks long...the challenge is 12 weeks long...I can do this!"

Naturally, I didn't take into account that when semester is stressful, I eat. It's not a good thing...I have a problematic stress relationship with food.

There are 5 weeks to go. There are 5 weeks until my next dance competition. I would freaking love to be looking good enough to wear one of those skimpy drapey latin dresses. Two of those 5 weeks include Uni holidays, where I will actually have time to exercise.

I can do this. My initial goal was to lose 5kg...from 75 to 70...I got down to 72, and then I went back up to 75. That's okay. But I'm going to try to lose that 5kg in the next 5 weeks (especially when you take until account that some of that 5kg will be bloating...shark week).

I can do this. No snacks, no pizza...food I have made only.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Don't buy flour/bread or potatoes.
    Sania and Warren J. Dew like this.
  7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Or liquor.

After some research, I've come to the (possibly obvious) conclusion that my nightly cocktails have been derailing everything else I've been doing to try to slim down. It's been a habit of mine for the last couple of years to wind down after my stressful days at work with martinis. So......as of last night, no more cocktails....on ANY kind of regular basis. It's low carb for me as well... even though, as a vegetarian, that is a challenge. Also, no artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup (that hides in a LOT of foods), or processed foods.

Here goes....... :)
  8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

That's a lot; it's almost 10% of your body weight. That isn't going to happen overnight. Be patient with yourself.
    Lioness likes this.
  9. Lioness

I've experienced difficulty getting below about 72 before, so I know that's my sticking point. I also know that if I'm not snacking, I can easily do it. :)
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Depends what kind of martinis! A traditional martini probably isn't as bad as a supersweet fruity "martini".
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Partner is away on business for the week so this is going to be strengthening and conditioning week. Gonna attempt to restart c25k again, hopefully I can stick with it longer this time. Run this morning was miserable though.
  12. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

My martinis are as simple as they come...just a dirty vodka martini...nothing sweet or fruity. I don't think it's the calories, as much as it's the liquor shutting down my liver's ability to burn fat while it's processing the alcohol. I've read this in so many places, that I have to pay attention, and give it a try.

It's been harder to fall asleep at night without the cocktails, but I have to admit that I'm sleeping much better now. Time will tell if this slims down my waistline.
  13. Lioness

Today I was running late for work at 5am, so I forgot to bring lunch with me to Uni. Ended up buying sugary snacks.

But that's ok, because one slip-up doesn't mean a thing.
    middy likes this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

eat cherries high in melatonin
  15. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Losing more weight that I would prefer to (on the scale) but happy with my size right now, for the most part...time to eat more protein?

I think it's in part due to my current difficulties staying asleep as much as I want to :/ I keep waking up around 5 or 6 AM, at least 2-3 hours before my alarm's set to go off. Not cool.
  16. middy

middy Well-Known Member

With regard to my exercise/lifting routine, have dropped down to 2 days a week instead of 3, but I think it's good for my sanity. Currently on stage 3 of NROLFW. Also dancing several times a week and trying to not kill my back in the process.
  17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

18. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Yeah I do that sometimes, when I find the will. I do prefer to work out in the mornings because there's more space in the gym. Finding myself at a large university's gym around 4 is like a nightmare. Every single piece of equipment is being used by somebody.
  19. Lioness

I need tips for stopping sugar cravings...lately I've been having them like mad...craving lollies and chocolate. How do I stop?
  20. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

The only way I know of is to cut out carbohydrates entirely, so as to avoid the carbohydrate induced insulin spikes that cause further cravings.