Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Agreed. It takes a few days for this process to work, but it does. My brother does the no-carb thing, and his sugar cravings are non existent.
  2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm going to give a YMMV on that. I tried to do the whole paleo thing. Two weeks in, I was still suffering from crippling carb cravings. It does work for some people. I eventually broke down and made myself a nice plate of spaghetti and garlic bread. And was much happier for it.
  3. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I'll totally give you this. It was the same for me. :rolleyes: But, then again, I'm a fool about my sandwiches.....love my sammies. And, my brother is much more driven in this direction than I. He believes all grains are poison. *shrug* He's thin as a rail, though.
    JudeMorrigan likes this.
  4. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I hear you. I'm generally a fan of people trying different (non-dangerous) diets and finding what works for them. And I put my money where my mouth is, having given both Atkins and paleo two honest goes each. But while I have a heck of a sweet tooth, it was actually the bread and pasta that I found myself craving hard. Different strokes for different folks though. People are not one-size-fits-all, ime.
    cornutt and dancelvr like this.
  5. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I do lower carb, lots of meals with lean protein + veggies. Besides, lots of things have carbs so it's basically impossible to cut them out (veggies, fruits, yogurt, etc.). I do have pasta a couple times a week, just keep the servings smaller.
  6. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Another option - portion control with the sugary stuff. A square or two of dark chocolate or any kind of chocolate won't derail you and helps with the cravings - it's eating the whole bar that might, over time.
  7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

The problem is usually that I buy a whole block intending to have a few squares and, well, yeah.

Something that's worked for me before is only buying sugary stuff on my "cheat day", but with studying all the time I feel like I need munchies.
  8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I don't have a sweet tooth, but I do like my pasta. I try to keep it to once or twice a week. But yeah, I've tried the ultra-low-carb diets and I hate them. I get weird food cravings and I have no energy whatsoever.

What's actually helping me is realizing that a lot of time I eat when I'm not really hungry. I got to thinking a few months ago about when I was younger and I weighed about 45 pounds less. I realized that back then, I hardly ever ate three meals a day. On weekdays I seldom ate breakfast, and on weekends I frequently skipped either lunch or dinner. The reason why: I only ate when I was hungry. Nowdays, it seems like a lot of the time I eat because the idea of eating sounds good, or food smells good, or simply because it's mealtime. I'm now ignoring all of that, and only eating when I'm actually hungry. And I generally only get hungry twice a day.
  9. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

So I just finished the ice cream in the freezer (peanut butter, mmmm....) I've decided to not buy large tubs of ice cream anymore, because I'll just eat them. I usually have more will power at the store than at night in front of the TV anyways. In any case, I've recently rediscovered how much I like yogurt (especially the type with butterfigners or oreos mixed in) so that should be a semi-healthy substitute for ice cream.
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Buy a whole block, and repackage the squares individually. That way when you unwrap one, you don't have all the rest of the staring at you, crying out, "Eat me! Eat me!"
    mindputtee and llamasarefuzzy like this.
  11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

do some research on intermittent fasting.. I use this dietary tool when im leaning out
  12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Or just get the individually-wrapped kind and spare yourself the extra work ;) But keep the empty wrappers in a pile to remind yourself how much you've had in a sitting.

I like carrots and hummus as something to munch on - the carrots take a while to eat.
    Lioness likes this.
  13. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Some of this is probably legit, but dangit, sometimes you just want CHOCOLATE!

[​IMG]
  14. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

When I crave chocolate, it's the caffeine that I need. Solution: chocolate.
  15. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Protein sparing modified fasting- if you ever need to lose about ten pounds in two weeks, this will do it. Lost 8 pounds in ten days and I'm finally back down around my happy weight. Now I just have to monitor my eating/activity more closely to stay there.
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

care to be more specific about this?...because i'm all in with results like that
    nikkitta likes this.
  17. mindputtee

Basically you only eat lean protein and vegetables. There's a pdf with a lot more information here: http://www.files.failedmiserably.com/data/aironz/The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook.pdf

No carbs, no sugar, no fat. It isn't a very effective long term plan unless you get no joy out of eating. It is extremely effective to get you there though, and then you can switch to something more maintainable. The pdf has a lot of great information for setting up the diet, the day to day, and then maintaining it. It's definitely worth a look.

ETA: I also went to a wedding on Saturday so the weight I lost included backtracking a couple pounds in the middle.
    nikkitta and Warren J. Dew like this.
  18. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I think I would be very sad if I tried to do this.
  19. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Hmm I had been doing a super lazy person's version of this, mostly just reducing refined carbs and reducing some fat at well. But now I'm a bit below my happy weight, so I'm just kind of eating what I want in moderation, adding extra fat and protein (full-fat Greek yogurt is the bomb).

It sounds very sad and cardboardy. Is there any restriction on salt or can you still at least attempt to make it taste decent with some seasoning and stuff?
  20. mindputtee

No restrictions on salt or seasonings. Not cardboardy since there's no carbs! If you can find lots of different ways to cook chicken breast without sugar or fat, you'll be golden. That and fat free cottage cheese is your best friend.
    Warren J. Dew likes this.