Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I totally believe that. My acupuncturist asked me once if I did lunges. I said, if I could do lunges, I wouldn't need you! (haha) But, I started out with some gentle step exercises, and have graduated to a stair-stepping machine, which has worked wonders in my knee rehab and strength.
  2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Gave up on our "big name gym" zumba instructor, she really just "hops"...for the larger portion of the entire workout. Went back to Circuit Trainer/private lessons and now...DH is coming with me. He thought it was pretty easy at first...until he got the "30 reps, 3 times, then add 4 different exercises...btw no rest, move to the next set"...LOL. I had to look the other way. wink. (and yes, my trainer makes me plank, lunges and do those "ropes" ugh, as well,but I've gotten to love it and miss it when I'm traveling).
  3. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

4. dancelvr

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  5. dancelvr

After years of negotiation between our Union and management, bargaining unit members will finally be allowed to join my agency's fitness program. This means, we will be allotted 3 hours a week to exercise....wait for it....during work hours!! I see many long walks, and more gym time in my future. WooHoo!!

My department's job is a sedentary one....sitting for 10 hours a day. This is major for us. Now, maybe the sick leave hours will be reduced for my coworkers, and we can work off some stress too. :)
    raindance likes this.
  6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Not directly exercise or diet related, but... at my doctor's insistence, I'm giving a CPAP machine a try. So far it's been... weird.
  7. dancelvr

I have a friend who can't sleep without her CPAP machine. Hope it helps you! :)
  8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Thanks. We'll see. I got the machine on Friday and first used it Friday night. That night and Saturday night I slept terribly, so I was groggy all weekend. Sunday night and last night I was able to sleep some. Monday and today... maybe better. Hard to tell yet, but maybe.
  9. dancelvr

It may take some 'getting-used-to'. :)
  10. stash

stash Well-Known Member

My boyfriend has finally convinced me to start lifting weights with him... I just need to get some weights as there is no way in hades I can lift his lightest weight (20lbs) more than one time. This tiny girl needs some tiny girl weights.
  11. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Start small and you'll quickly make gains if you keep up with it. You'll probably find that you'll be able to lift more than you think! :)

Don't use the 1-3 pound ones though, they are basically useless. Might as well lift a soup can in that case.

A couple good resources for women interested in lifting: google stumptuous and niashanks
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I lift 8s in free weights...for a total of 16 on a barbell...I think that is plenty for any woman without some sort of freakish goal...but I could certainly do 20 (or 10 in each hand) if I wanted to(easily, and many times)....certainly, one should work up to that...not start with it...most young women of meduim build should be fine with 5s in each hand...but if one has never lifted and/or is slight of build, starting with 3s is perfectly fine
  13. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Also depends on what exercises you're doing, of course. If you're using dumbbells, you could be doing rows, bicep curls, deadlifts, benchpress, shoulder raises, presses, squats, all sorts of things, and certain combinations of muscles can lift much more weight than others.

For a more concrete example, you can bench press much more than bicep curl, since that engages your chest muscles and others that are bigger than your biceps alone.

I would say, do your research when it comes to proper lifting form, start with light weights to establish good habits, and then push yourself and find your limits :)
    fascination likes this.
  14. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I have gained about 5 lbs since Thanksgiving and am having the hardest time getting rid of it. It does not sound like a lot but on my small fame I am afraid it makes a difference. I have really cleaned up my diet but those lbs won't budge. I am so frustrated that I am thinking of giving up wine, although I don't have wine everyday it does add up. My diet isn't bad, but may need to cut down more and up the intensity of working out. What has anyone else done in this situation? I know the answer is obvious, eat less, which I am already doing. Ugh I am so frustrated.
    DesireeDC likes this.
  15. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Have you tired recording your food? Sometimes I eat more healthy foods than I thought which is healthy, but not good for weight loss
  16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Eliminate all forms of Alcohol, it is basically sugar.
    Limited your "sodium" intake to 1,500-2,000 milligrams a day (you may be surprised at how much salt is contained in servings/foods your eating).
    Drink 80 oz of water a day.
    Eat every two hours,,,3 meals, 2 snacks - good carbs and low glycemic fruits/veges that raise your blood sugar over hours, not minutes.
    and exercise. (consider the first 20 minutes a warm-up, after 20 minutes is a burn-rate, and 10,000 steps a day-walking or otherwise).
    Hedwaite likes this.
  17. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Lower carb intake, particularly refined carbs (pasta, white bread, etc.) and replace with veggies?
    DesireeDC and Sania like this.
  18. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I watch my portion sizes carefully. Drink lots of water thruout the day. Don't eat refined carbs. I know I need to cut out the wine. But overall, I think I'm already doing whatever I should do. Have yet to record what I'm eating. That may help.
  19. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

People think that by cutting back on just food that they're making a difference- and they are, but nobody realizes just how much junk their favorite booze is loading into them. People have preached at me before over what I eat, yet they swill flavored-tinis and beer like it's going out of style and wonder why their Crohn's acts up. Uh, DUH?
  20. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

some types of food just stay with you longer and your body works harder to digest. On the other hand some types of food go through you faster and you actually have to eat more often. Sometimes the food you have to eat more of can be better for you such as lots of grains and vegetables and starches.I know not everyone will agree with me but I think going on a vegan diet for 21 days or so will probably solve your problem completely.
    3wishes likes this.