Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Take a vacation in North Korea.

2. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Don't want to be executed

3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I intended a dark-humor reference to Kenneth Bae, who lost 50 pounds in a matter of weeks, IIRC: anecdotal evidence of effectiveness of that intervention with respect to weight loss. (Obviously good health was not the point, though; and more to the point those circumstances are outright awful. I hope it's clear I wasn't being serious. Also I wasn't trying to turn this into a thread about North Korea.)

4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

There is a National Weight Control Registry, which keeps track of people who have lost at least 30 lbs and kept it off for a year and are willing to share their data. It turns out that there is NO one way to lose weight. Some people cut calories across the board, but keep all foods in the mix. Some people do it low-carb. Some people do it low-fat. I think you have to figure out what works for you and what you are going to be able to maintain for a lifetime...because I think we all know people who've lost weight super successfully and then put it back on. I think it's important to think "lifestyle change" not "diet."

Here are some common denominators that unite those who successfully maintain weight loss:

http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/

I have maintained my weight successfully since 2004. The basic denominators:
    -Portion control
    -Keep a record
    -Exercise
    -Get back on track as soon as possible after special occasions. It's fine to have a splurge-y holiday/weekend/vacation now and again, but when you get home, get back to business. (E.g, while Christmas and New Year's may be special occasions, don't make the entire month of December a special occasion.)

stash likes this.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

from experience; portion control, carb reduction maintained...exercise maintains fitness...but it won't prevent weight gain unless the first two things are well in hand.....

6. sbrnsmith

I don't have 30 lbs to lose. It's 5, and it doesn't sound like much, but I feel better at that weight. Since I posted, I have succeeded in getting it closer to goal, and feeling more in control. There will always be good days and bad days, but I found that cutting out wine is helping. I usually don't eat refined carbs anyway, so there wasn't anything to cut out there. Mostly have a pretty healthy diet overall, but agree portion control is key.

7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Reviving this...have recently discovered a meal planning website called "Eat This Much". You put in your target calories, foods you don't like/type of diet you'd like to follow, number of meals per day, etc, and it generates a weekly meal plan/shopping list.

I can't remember the last time I cooked, so hopefully this will be a good tool to plan shopping and meals. The price limit per day for food costs is US based so it's working out a bit expensive but I'll tweak it a bit for next week.

On the exercise front, starting a new powerlifting program as soon as I'm not sick anymore. 10 week program made up of three week varying cycles aimed to improve all aspects of each lift...it's called the cube method...pretty excited.

8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I didn't have 30 lbs to lose either, but I still think the data from people who have lost weight that much weight and kept it off successfully are worth considering.

9. sbrnsmith

I agree, except that those last few lbs need a different approach cos they are the hardest to get off. My friends all think I am crazy and that I look the same at 123 lbs than at 117, but I KNOW the difference.

10. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

For sure. 5 pounds is usually all I need to gain to seriously take a look at what I've been eating. It can be very uncomfortable

Lioness and Larinda McRaven like this.
  11. sbrnsmith

Since I posted, I have succeeded in getting myself down to where I wanted. The trick now is going to be staying there which is difficult with holidays around the corner

12. llamasarefuzzy

For the holidays, I take the important days off... Xmas, NYE, new years day, and just don't log calories at all. The other days I plan what I'm going to eat ahead of time and be sure to budget in room for a dessert, drink, etc. This sometimes means that I have to go for an extra long run, or whatever, but well worth it. That way I can still enjoy myself without gaining too much weight. A little weight gain is going to probably happen, and I just have to get over that. Still, if I can keep it to 2 pounds, that usually helps :)

sbrnsmith likes this.
  13. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Hi, guys! I just finished reading through this almost 10 year 104 page thread for inspiration! I particularly like the recognition that different things work for different people and the high level of support. I am down about 40 lbs from my high weight, but most of that was a couple of years ago. I've lost about about 10 lbs in the last couple of months, maybe more fat than that since I've also been exercising and (I hope) gaining muscle mass. Clothes fit very differently, which I'm very happy about!

My current goal is to get through the holiday season without gaining any weight back. I am one of those people who is significantly better avoiding processed carbs altogether and that can be hard this time of year. Somebody had to come to my defense the other day when I was turning down Christmas cookies.... (I also am gluten free and somebody had very nicely--but without asking me--went out of her way to bake gluten free cookies so that I could have some. I had part of one, complimented it highly, etc. I felt bad that the baker had gone to the effort, but, but, but--not badly enough to eat a whole cookie. I know myself, and for me eating a chocolate peppermint cookie just is not a good idea--like an ex-smoker having a cigarette).

Warren J. Dew likes this.
  14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that muscle and bone are denser than fat. So as you gain muscle and bone mass, the weight loss per se may not be what you were expecting. Don't let that discourage you... go more by how your clothes fit you than by what the scale says.

15. cornutt

Following up: It's gotten a lot better. I sleep with it fairly well now. I met the insurance criteria in the first month so I now own the machine outright. I've got through several mask types and I'm still experimenting with that... I'm having a hard time finding something that will resist leaking without being super-tight.

16. RiseNFall

I was going to ask you about this! As I'm sure you realize, it should not have to be super-tight. I have experience with this (I use one) and I am usually shocked at how little help people are given in finding a mask that fits right. Is it a matter of leaking while you move around at night, or does it leak from the beginning? If you sleep on your side, it can take a while to figure out a pillow/arm/tube/head layout that works. Sometimes the agencies providing them are very lazy about getting the correct size as well--they try to give you what they have in stock.

cornutt likes this.
  17. RiseNFall

And the compliments I get.;)

cornutt likes this.
  18. cornutt

First, thank you for the reply! :cool: Yeah, it's mainly a problem of sleeping on my side. I can put it on so it doesn't leak, but when I lay on my side, if the pillow pushes against the mask just a little bit, it moves it off-center and then it leaks. If I get it tight enough to prevent that, it presses against the bridge of my nose and makes it sore. I also am not fond of the exhaust port on this one; it's built into the end of the hose and it blows air out at high velocity. It swivels, but I'm constantly fiddling with it to get it an an angle where it doesn't blow onto my arm, or into the pillow, or on my DW.

The mask they gave me with the machine actually came with three sizes of mask pieces, but the small one was too small, and the medium one was too large -- it pressed against my cheekbones and bruised my face.

Yeah, the choices at the medical supply place are pretty limited. They only have a few nose masks, and the full-face masks all look like WWII gas masks. :rolleyes: I've been looking online. I may order a set of nasal pillows and see how that does.

19. RiseNFall

Cornutt, I payed attention to what I do last night. I have learned to position the pillow so that it is supporting my head, but it's almost as if my nose and the mask are hanging off the cliff formed by the pillow. (To anybody else who reads this--there is a real art to learning to sleep well with a CPAP mask on and a lot of people who need to give up before they sort it all out!) I also support myself in front. I'm single now and can just bunch up the comforter in front of me--I suspect that when I was married that would have led to a middle of the night tug of wars and I probably used another pillow. The point is that my body position is stabilized enough that the mask doesn't get pressed on and shifted. There are also special pillows out there for use with a CPAP mask, but I don't have any experience with them.

To generalize this post, sleep apnea is frequently missed as a cause of a lot of vague symptoms--fatigue, heart issues, and joint inflammation, for example. Fatigue has been shown to increase certain hormone levels that lead to weight gain. Almost everybody who has sleep apnea also snores (though there are many other causes of snoring), so if you or a loved one is snoring, it is worth getting it checked out. (Yes, I know I sound like an infomercial, but using a CPAP machine has helped me so much!)

20. llamasarefuzzy

Annual homemade lasagna tonight. Like, mom made everything from scratch, the Italian way (she learned to cook at the cordon blu when we were on sabbatical in Pisa). Pasta from scratch- so thin you can see through the noodles. Ragu, from scratch. Bechamel, from scratch. Dad also got some breseola (sort of likea norther italian prosciutto except beef instead of pork)from an italian market in chicago while on the way to pick up my sister. For dessert, we have panetone. I will eat until I think I am going to explode, and I will regret none of it. Back to the diet on the 26.

stash and fascination like this.