Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I just received a set of nasal pillows last week, and so far the results have been excellent. I can sleep on my side without it leaking, and it stays on without pressing against the bridge of my nose like the other mask did. Still experimenting with which size works best (it came with three sizes). Still wish the exhaust wasn't so forceful, but that seems to be a common issue with all of the smaller devices. At least it's quiet.
  2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Being sick for a week led to not eating much led to weight loss led to me below goal weight...now time to get back into exercising and eating healthy to hit the goal weight the healthy way!
    chomsky likes this.
  3. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Only good part of getting sick is that extra boost for my diet, since staying at home watching movies has been taken away since starting working "real" jobs :rolleyes:
    Dancing Irishman likes this.
  4. Dancing Irishman

Yep. First they took my snow days, now they've made me feel guilty about sick days. Never thought I would learn to hate the words "work from home".
  5. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

the opposite effect on me! I put on weight...but today I believe I am able to start a diet so! why not lose it?
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

hot yoga...best thing in the world.....
  7. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

it's the beginning of a diet that is the hardest, isnt' it...
  8. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Nothing about a diet is easy
  9. llamasarefuzzy

Word. I feel like I plan my whole day around it
  10. sbrnsmith

I do too...kind of have to, to avoid grabbing whatever is convenient and not healthy...
  11. llamasarefuzzy

Yup. I've added 20 minutes to my morning to prepare fresh veggies, fruit, etc for lunches and snacks. 20 minutes that I could be sleeping:eek:
  12. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

If anyone of you awesome DFers are so inclined, I would really appreciate some help on how I should be eating, both in terms of what I should eat as well as how many calories I should be targeting to achieve my goals. Certainly you get what you pay for :) but if anyone on here is a nutritionist or has any background in dietary sciences or nutrition, etc. I would so love to hear from you.

I have lost a significant amount of weight, so I'm not totally ignorant, but I have a significant amout to lose to be where I want to be. I seem to keep losing the same 10 pounds over and over again now. I need to step it up a bit but I am having trouble knowing exactly how to do that. I am willing to make changes, but it still needs to be a diet I can live with (I like meat so nothing vegan), basic things like that. I know it will take some sacrifice and I am ready and willing. If anyone wants to help, will you PM me?
  13. fascination

I think you are best off going to a local y or hospital where there is a nutritionist on staff who can walk with you over time and assess everything that you are doing and help you chart it...online it is hard to give a one time solution...you need to know how many calories you are burning a day, you need to know whether or not your blood sugar and thyroid and other hormonal levels are funtioning properly....you need to know what the proper protien/carb/fat ratio is for you relative to when you workout...you need to look at windows of time in your schedule when you can have a meal and what the best way to make sure that is deliberate might be.....there is so much to constructing a plan that will work...additionally, aspects like building in an occasional day to not worry about it, building in accountability....keeping a variety going so that you don't acclimate (sp?) to your workout...stucturing time for rest and recovery...structuring strenth, resistance and flexibility in addition to your cardio....looking at what you are drinking ...it is such a complex weave...on balance, the people I know who are successful...and myself, when I was successful (which isnn't now), seem to stick with a diet high in protein and only small amounts of fat and good carbs...who eat several small meals or snacks a day every 3-4 hours and of not more than 150 to 350 at any sitting and usually not exceeding 1200 to 1500 a day unless they are super athletic and burning a lot...it really is hard to say unless a person is following you over time...obviously the less processed the food, the better....
  14. Dancing Irishman

I'm by no means a nutrition expert, but something that has worked really well for me is focusing on a diet rich in fiber and lean protein and also asking myself "how would I feel if I had to work out an hour after eating this?" That combined with carefully examining whether I really feel hungry or if I'm just responding to thirst/tiredness/social pressure (ie "normal" meal times) and try to act accordingly. The "Cook This, Not That" series of cookbooks has also been a phenomenal resource for me in learning how to make delicious and healthy meals from the type of ingredients you'd expect (the recipes feature no artificial sweeteners, carb substitutes, or other "diet" junk and instead are about healthy portions and dialing back excess fat where it adds nothing to a dish). I could never in a million years plan my daily meals around the balance of ten or more factors a nutritionist would recommend, so I tried to pick the highest impact ones instead (for example, aiming to eat lots of fiber steers you toward whole grains and vegetables and the how much would working out stink litmus test helps avoid really fatty foods).

Since I'm already aiming to train like an athlete for dance, I try not to worry about that too much from a nutrition perspective. I dance as often as I can without pushing myself beyond how healthy I feel a given week (ie I let myself rest when I'm sick, which is a stark change from my college days).
    Wannabee likes this.
  15. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I get that everything regarding nutrition is highly individualized and therefore, would require way more details and specifics than most people on here would care to share or read about.

But the generalities are a good starting place. I have lost a significant amount of weight already, so I'm not totally naive to the inner workings of my body and what it likes and doesn't like. But these last pounds are proving rather stubborn and I was hoping to get tips on how others have gotten over the hump, so to speak.

Irishman, I like the "will I feel good" if I eat this and then workout (in my case I would add dance as well)? That is something I can easily apply. The cookbooks sound like a visit to Amazon might be in order. Less processed food, always sound advice. Crossing my fingers that I can find a process to follow that will work for me.
    Dancing Irishman likes this.
  16. sbrnsmith

For me, maintaining my weight is a top priority.....also hard to do... I had about 5 lbs to lose after the holidays, doesn't sound like much, but those last few lbs are crazy hard to drop. What worked for me is more lean protein like chicken, lean beef and fish, and cutting down carbs....also sadly cutting down alcohol, including wine... Protein keeps you full for longer....add in plenty of fresh veggies, some fruit, plus I try to add a small amount of nuts for healthy fats....as far as activity, I increased as much as time would allow, besides dance, I run, do hot yoga and weight training with a trainer. And I drink tons of water.... No sodas or juices ever as those are empty calories
  17. fascination

juices are not empty calories...sodas are
  18. sbrnsmith

Maybe not empty, but a lot more calories and no satiety, I don't know if any nutritionists recommend juice, unless it's a green juice.
  19. fascination

meh...depends upon the fruit and how it is juiced...but I get the point...still...lots of nutritional benefits...and weight loss isn't the only consideration
  20. sbrnsmith

But in this context, we are talking about weight loss... I would rather eat something for those calories and feel satisfied.