Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

diet and exercise isn't synonymous to weight loss...so I am talking about nutrition ...in that sense, juice is NOT empty...it may not be advisable for weight loss in your view...but it isn't empty calories...particularly not in the way that soda is...it is an important point in my view...so I am choosing to talk about it...you can certainly do as you see fit///i simply don't concur that it is empty or not worth consumption....shrug

2. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I think I already conceded not empty... However, since we are talking about weight loss in this context, I stand by my thought that adding juice probably does not aid in weight loss...

3. fascination

no one is arguing that....just that the calories aren't empty....which is a FACT...

4. sbrnsmith

And I already agreed with that

However, juice is a source of concentrated sugar, minus the fiber, and eating a piece of fruit would likely offer a better alternative... Something to note, in the face of childhood obesity, pediatricians do not recommend juice anymore in the diet for kids...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

In my experience, the main problem with fruit juice is that it is WAY to easy to drink it to excess. I could down 12 ounces of orange juice, and not blink an eye about it. Therefore, I don't drink straight, commercial fruit juice. I have my own mixture of fruits (small amounts) and veggies I run through my juicer. Much better than ANYTHING off a store shelf. I have that, with one piece of whole grain toast with Smart Balance Spread, as breakfast when I'm trying to get as much nutrition as possible into as few calories as possible. :)

Dancer51 and sbrnsmith like this.
  6. fascination

exactly...you have to watch the store stuff.....

7. fascination

some juice can have fiber...again, depends upon how how you juice.......my point remains about the nutritional values when done well...but look, no one has to consume anything they don't want to consume....I just find it amusing how many people who running shreiking from juice who will think nothing of a class of wine and a piece of candy...though I do agree that a common problem with any thing liquid that is easy to consume it monitoring the quantity....

I know a buch of folks who watch what they eat very carefully, but the problem is in what they drink and how much of it...starbucks, for example....gatorade, as another.....

8. dancelvr

Yeah...finding a tasty beverage I can consume without limit, which doesn't have sugar, artificial sweeteners, or large amounts of caffeine, has been a challenge. (Yeah...I know...water. But, that gets boring after a while.) Been thinking of making my own iced green tea.

9. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I've had great luck with doing fruit infused water (also herbs/spices). Makes me very motivated to drink more when it is tasty

sbrnsmith and dancelvr like this.
  10. sbrnsmith

The thing about liquid calories is that they don't fill you up, and add to the calorie intake, if weight loss is a concern....also hard to monitor quantities as its easy to gulp down....my personal choice is to stick with calorie free beverages such as water, coffee and tea with no added sugar....yes I will have a glass of wine sometimes, some days call for it, but I monitor the quantity and factor it into that days calorie totals...in my case, I prefer eating a piece of fruit instead of drinking several pieces of fruit with all those concentrated carbs/sugar...

11. dancelvr

Hmmmm.....personally, I'd rather get some nutrition from some of my beverages than drink a bunch of caffeine. Home juiced fruits and veggies are EASILY monitored by portioning what you want to juice, and calculating the caloric content. When you only make what you drink, and drink what you make, it's simple as can be. When the majority of the juice in the glass comes from vegetables, and only about 20% from fruit, I've got a fresh, healthy alternative, with vitamins, minerals, and so much flavor that it is a treat to drink.

fascination likes this.
  12. sbrnsmith

I agree with you about vegetable juice being low cal and of course nutritious, again however, minus the fiber, unless it's a smoothie... As far as fruit juice I still don't agree it's a good alternative especially if you are counting calories.... I mostly drink water for this reason and 2 cups of coffee which is not excessive caffeine, no sugar added

13. fascination

I think we are clear on your opinion

14. dancelvr

I could talk juicing all day, but I'll change the subject a bit and say.....I've reached Day 4 without my nightly cocktails. Yay me! :dancingbanana:

15. sbrnsmith

I get it.... you like juicing....more power to you!!! It's not for me....but I think we can both agree on 'adult' beverages!

16. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Gave up meat and liquor for lent...it's gonna be an interesting month and a half for sure!

17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I've done meat before. It starts of pretty easy, but it's *amazing* just how appetizing commercials for hamburgers become in just a few weeks.

18. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

No artificial sweetener for me! And this is a bvery big deal because I drink 3-4 Diet Dr. Peppers a day.

19. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Yesterday as I was busy all day till ten at night I didn't get to eat after 6 which has always helped me lose some. It's an easy way to lose weight when you stop eating at night time! You just burn them calories more easily!!!!!

20. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Been indulging my sweet tooth entirely too often the past couple weeks. Aiming to cut that out starting today.

Also need to get back into some kind of conditioning routine besides dance (because, as awesome as it is, I need to build up strength beyond what I use drilling technique)

chomsky likes this.