Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I've managed to lost 4kg since Monday...it's mostly water weight I'm sure, but I've managed to keep my calories at 1600 a day and not overeat and snack impulsively.

Ignoring tonight as it's the last weekend in our house and we are having a celebration. There will be cocktails.

But 12kg more and I can get a new latin dress.
    3wishes, cornutt, dancelvr and 2 others like this.
  2. Dancer51

Dancer51 New Member

I get juices with no sugar and no high fructose syrup, or make my own. But even too many natural sugars isn't good so I don't have fruits or juices everyday. 80% foods are veggies daily for optimal cellular health and organ functioning AND keeping your immune system high functioning. People keep focusing on lowering weight, anti-aging and not rotting your teeth, when all those will be attained if your focus daily is mostly veggies, nuts/seeds, legumes, some fruits. Food for fuel. Ask yourself before you decide what to eat, "what does my body need, what haven't I gotten enough of today".
  3. Dancer51

Dancer51 New Member

Looking good! More power to ya!
    cornutt likes this.
  4. Dancer51

Dancer51 New Member

If you eat healthy snacks every hour or so you won't crave those unhealthy ones :)
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

All juices have sugar. Well, maybe celery juice doesn't. But all fruit juices do.
    mindputtee likes this.
  6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

But then I'll be eating every hour or so, which is an issue for me. I'm much better off having two decent meals and a small snack.
  7. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Active Member

If I have learned one thing in life it is that different things work for different people. I do best following the "6 small meals a day" pattern, where 3 are more like small meals and 3 are more like snacks. I also am one of those people who has to balance protein/carb/fat intake very carefully. When I do, I am never hungry, I eat well, I can lose weight, all is good with the world. However, that isn't what works best for everybody. The way one (well known) person put it is that we all different carburetors and have to find what works for our bodies.
    FancyFeet likes this.
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Agreed. I was just at lunch with pro yesterday, and was getting quizzed about my eating habits - not in a bad way, but in a "I think you eat the way that I and my coaches want me to" manner.

We had a big conversation about how I see food as fuel, plan ahead, and don't pay attention to food "rules" like "you can't eat after 7 pm" or "don't drink water during a hard workout" or "wait 45 minutes after exercising to eat" or "no protein within 2 hours of bedtime" (all "rules" heard mentioned around the studio by the way... I've never met a group of people that have such an unhealthy relationship with food). My philosophy is to just try different things and find what works for you. There is no one size fits all program. Some common themes, yes, but different things work for different people.
  9. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Good lord...I would end up in the hospital if I tried to eschew water while working out (I go through a liter or so any time I swim laps...and I don't even swim for that long!)
    3wishes and fascination like this.
  10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Legs were sore today from running (once again I'm trying to start that). Tried the foam roller. Kind of hurts while doing it, but also feels good. After my legs feel much better though.
    JudeMorrigan likes this.
  11. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I've been getting back into running as well. It's been brutal trying to get to a regular schedule with it. The ideal solution would be getting up early enough to do it before work every day, but that snooze button is so tempting at 0500.
    Dancing Irishman likes this.
  12. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I hate running... but it's being worked in to my weekly schedule, thanks to the cardio demands of my new QS routine. Trying to get in 20-30 minutes twice a week - or will be, once my ankle has healed enough to let me run without pain :(
  13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Ugh. I work at 1 pm and have been working at getting up early (8ish, it's early when you work until 9 pm) so it's more appealing to run before it gets too hot to be comfortable.
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

10 hours of fitness in the last 3 days....why don't I look like a goddess ? :)
    cornutt likes this.
  15. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Have been to the gym twice recently after a 6-month break or so...well, at least it's something!
    chomsky likes this.
  16. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Running does not come naturally to me....having said that, I find it's the best type of cardio and endurance training I can get....pros are that it's cheap, you just need running shoes, and it's a great for building endurance and not getting short of breath when you are dancing back to back heats...I always have to make myself do it, but once I do, I feel so amazing, better than I do after any other workout....supplemented with weight and resistance training, some hot yoga and Pure Barre, running is something I plan to do as long as I can, just for the health benefits and the fitness.
  17. Dancing Irishman

Ballet class tonight, 100% committed to yoga tomorrow...I will get my danged flexibility and core strength back and then some, come heck or high water!
    llamasarefuzzy and fascination like this.
  18. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

lost my first kilo, then three days ago started overeating after a month and a half. I need to get up and start all over again. that's life!
  19. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Must. Get. Back. To. Yoga.

All this running has been wonderful for my stamina but very, very sad for my hammies. I think I've lost about 30 degrees on my develope this spring/summer, which was not the direction I was looking for.
    Dancing Irishman likes this.
  20. Dancing Irishman

We've got the opposite problems! My flexibility is proving wonderfully, but my stamina's kinda awful.
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.