Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I bought a Fitbit flex, 'cause tracking things manually was making my head explode and becoming way too time-consuming. I'm on day 3 of tracking sleep, activity, and food intake.

So far, I'm feeling like it underestimates the number of calories I burn at dance practice and during conditioning workouts. I'm also concerned that, given my tendency to drop weight, it's not allowing enough calories in a day... but I'm going to give it a full week or so, then re-evaluate.
  2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Do you stretch after every run? That's my favorite time to stretch because I'm so warm I can really go for it.
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

that is exactly when you should stretch
  4. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Yes it does underestimate the calories burned at dance as well as weights and other workouts that don't involve steps.... Seems more focused at number of steps, but also does not really differentiate between running and walking.... I think fitbit and other bands are ok as an overall marker of fitness but not if you really want to get into details regarding your activity level and calories burned.... Those are the drawbacks
    llamasarefuzzy and FancyFeet like this.
  5. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Mixed things up a bit and started a new group workout class this week. I'm loving it. The timing is perfect -- right after I drop my kiddos at school / summer camp MTWF, and I was already doing a workout at the studio Th/Sat. Happy to break up with the treadmill for a while...
  6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Thank goodness... I've noticed that as well. I may need to start manually estimating the calories burned at dance, and ignoring the recommended calorie intake. I do like the sleep tracker and regular pedometer functions though.

Oh, and apparently, when I dance foxtrot really well, it thinks I don't take any steps at all (when I'm breathing heavily and sweating after 15 or so minutes, and my legs start to shake after an hour). I'm taking this as a complement, and interpreting it to mean that I'm dancing it really smoothly :)
  7. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Someday, maybe, I'll get to dancing foxtrot that well! Awesome for you though!!
    FancyFeet likes this.
  8. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

No.. I've been a little lazy on that front. Mostly I drink as much chocolate milk as I possible can and then shower...
  9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

this might not be supportive but

i completed the 300 workout in 36 minutes.. :D:D:D:eek:
    llamasarefuzzy and SwayWithMe like this.
  10. llamasarefuzzy

Don't know what that is but it sounds really hard so congrats!
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  11. llamasarefuzzy

Note to self: just because bikram doesn't feel "vigorous" and your heart rate doesn't get nearly as high as when you run, does not mean you should go after donating blood and expect to have a good practice.

In retrospect this poor life choice ended better than it probably should have.:rolleyes:
  12. fascination

lol...BTDT...like, maybe you shouldn't do it after teaching two other fitness classes :)
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  13. sbrnsmith

Yuck. I increased my calories because I thought I wasn't getting enough for my level of activity, and immediately gained weight. Now I am trying to recalculate and regroup. I wish this diet and exercise thing was easier
  14. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Not sure if it was the heat/humidity or the fact that I took several days off from running, but run today was not as good as they had been in the past. :(
  15. fascination

16. fascination

over here....first run of the year on concrete...5k...anemic, but I did it and I am paying for it today
  17. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Changed up my exercise routine at the beginning of the month. Loving it, and I've lost 5 lbs! :D
    llamasarefuzzy and sbrnsmith like this.
  18. sbrnsmith

Starting a cleanse tomorrow- just couple of days, nothing extreme.... Clean eating, lots of hydration, no alcohol and more exercise. Excited.
  19. Dancer51

Dancer51 New Member

Just finished mine feels great! Good luck, try the Bolthouse Greengoodness for the vitamins.
  20. sbrnsmith

Feeling great- second day of cleanse
    Don't think I can sustain it for too long....maybe another day.