Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Trying to get into the habit of running every other day, and doing yoga on the other days. The running part is "easy" as my man is in charge of that, but I do yoga by myself, and I find it hard to motivate myself to do it, even though I love doing it.

2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Pro's partner cornered me at the studio last night to express concern that unintentional weight loss seems to have resumed (apparently it is starting to show in my face and sternum). Crap. I had been flirting with the lower end of where I should be, though had managed to get things to level out there, but have been just a touch stressed the last week or two, so... time to start writing down what I eat again to make sure it hasn't slid too low, and to schedule another round of bloodwork to check some things out I guess.

May also need to actually purchase a scale, though I tend to find that less helpful than simply tracking measurements as it doesn't account for increases in muscle mass... maybe a fancy one that measures body fat percentage would help? (I used to just use my clothes, but they're pretty much all too big at the moment, so that's stopped working.)

Anyone want to donate 5 lbs. to this cause? I can offer you a cup size in return... :D

3. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Happy to donate 5 lbs. I've just kicked myself into not only writing down what I eat, but actually planning it out in advance, stocking the necessary food, and cooked 5 lunches yesterday and stored them in serving size containers ("pasta" made from beans--high protein, low carb--and oven grilled vegetables). So interesting that we have opposite issues but the process is so similar….

danceronice and FancyFeet like this.
  4. FancyFeet

So true. I often get grief for it, and sometimes suffer guilt for talking about it, but the process I need to follow is shockingly similar to someone trying to lose weight. I may make different food choices, but they are just as consciously thought out, down to the planning, prep, composition, portion size, calorie and nutrient content, frequency and are crossed with activity level and daily plans. It is definitely not as easy as "just eat more" or "have McDonald's or icecream every day". I'm still an athlete, and I need the right mix of fuel.

5. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

FancyFeet,
    Does your weight fluctuate excessively? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. People often come to me and say stuff like "you need to eat more food." I have been between 104-107 lb for 5'5" height throughout my adult life. 112 lb was the heaviest weight I ever could gain. I load myself with carbs everyday and I am not afraid of fat, so theoretically I should be heavier, but I am not. Sometimes people's comments about my weight annoyed me. But now I understand that some people are just born the way as I am.

6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

After looking at myself in the studio mirror, I'm not hugely happy with my body at the moment.

Time to change that, I guess. I've started tracking my food again, and I'll be going on my first run in more than a year, today. Sick of being not-fat-but-too-chunky-to-look-good-in-latin-dresses.

dancelvr and fascination like this.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sister...I feel your pain

8. Lioness

It's hard for me to stay motivated, because it always ends in "Why am I doing this I'm not really overweight at all"...like...I should be happy with what I have...but my body is deceptively good at hiding weight, and I am actually terribly unfit. When a minute of Viennese Waltz makes you excessively tired, gotta build up stamina, at the very least.

9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

That's a good point. My body's not that good at hiding weight (it really shows in my stomach), but I've figured out over the last year that being in shape really has a lot more to do with fitness: muscular, skeletal (although that's never been a problem for me), circulatory, and respiratory. I lost about 20 lbs; I'm not losing any now, but I am still replacing fat with muscle and stronger tissue. And I'm still finding that pants that used to fit me are now getting too loose. My take: work on improving the functions, and the form will come along.

10. Lioness

Went on a run. I feel great.

FancyFeet likes this.
  11. FancyFeet

No, it's tended to be very stable, but about 6 months ago I dropped down about 10 lbs., which is about as low as I should be. (Still at a healthy BMI, but toward the low end - and I have a weight below which my energy and stamina starts to suffer.) Haven't been weighed for about 3 months, so I'm not sure where I stand now.

More alarming is the inches - I've lost enough of them to drop two dress sizes, putting me in a clothing size that is just not good on someone of my height. I feel fine, so I'm not overly concerned, but I recognize that matching my diet to my activity level, especially as I build more muscle, is something that I am obviously struggling with. And I can't afford to buy another set of new clothes!

12. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

losing inches while building muscle is fine so long as your percent body fat is dropping. when activley trying to modify your body ( weight loss or muscle gain) this should be measured every three months

knowing your basal metabolic rate matters too

from there you can determine your exact caloric and protein requirements to attain your weight and body fat goals

use protein supplements to get to adequate amounts
    use caloric supplements to keep calories as needed

and drink a gallon of water a day

13. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Had my butt kicked by my trainer during my workout ... Feeling so sore but in a good way, well on my goal of increased strength and stamina for next comp, and just being healthy. Feeling pretty good.

14. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Blegh, am about 10 lbs over my happy weight. Getting back into working out regularly, and have started up a 30-day youtube yoga challenge with a friend. Also have been recording what I eat again, and I munch on things allll day. Usually healthy things, but still. I guess it adds up?

Side note, I've been watching the tv show Extreme Weight Loss occasionally and I am just amazed at what they're able to do. 10 lbs is nothing compared to losing weight that is equivalent to like, one and a half of me. I know it's not realistic at all, and I hope these contestants are really healthy in the long term, but still! Crazy.

15. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I have my doubts about the long term benefits of the "Extreme Weight Loss" show. I understand how the program works during the loss, but how to maintain that for years.....I'm skeptical.

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

you also need to bear in mind that when folks are that overweight, small lifestyle changes can bring about significant loss in a short time....as you get closer to your ideal weight, those fat pounds are much more determined to stay

17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My workout schedule was knocked off kilter last week by dentist appointments and two days working offsite. Got to get back in the groove next week... unless oral surgery intervenes. :rolleyes:

18. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Upper body and core strength have taken a back seat with a more strenuous work schedule...hoping that improves soon but it won't be today...

19. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Trying to get more hardcore about my diet- though I am not Paleo, I am thinking of following some version of Paleo diet ie more protein and plant based as opposed to regular cutting calories, carbs etc. anyone have any good suggestions on Paleo recipes or cookbooks?
    Already happy with my workouts and weight, but I want to get more lean and toned for my next comp

20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member