Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

So true Sk, so true... :lol:
  2. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Hi Neo,

No insults taken. :)

Hmm, to be honest I really don't want to know what my body fat percentage is...because I know already that its TOO FRIGGIN' MUCH! :p :oops: :p

I used to keep a record of this...I was at about 9% at my lowest...and I would surmise that I'm at about 25-28% now. Honestly, what people list as "ideal" doesn't always fit for some of us. I actually am much more attracted to women with a little meat on their bones! And as I've said before...I can gain weight at the drop of a hat...carbohydrates and sugar are not my friends...so I have to allow for the occasional indulgance, which is very healthy to avoid binging (I'll have to share a binge story with the group one day). So, I know that my body weight/fat% will fluctuate a bit...it takes incredible will power and resolve to keep it even where it is now...

Although I don't want to be like Cartman from SouthPark and say "I'm not fat, I'm big boned!", there is some truth to this.

I basically want to do both weight loss and muscle build simoutaneously. Its what I have always done - and it works well for me. Last year, I had the same measurements I have now - Chest 40, Shoulders 42, waist 40. As you can tell from the measurements...my upper body was just slightly larger than my waist and I didn't like what I saw in the mirror. After 2 months of watching what I ate a bit more carefully and jogging 3-4 times a week, my waist went down to 35.5". I combined this with a lot of upper body yoga exercises so I bulked up a bit upstairs...and trust me I looked like a new man. I have very large hips so no matter what I do, I'm always going to have the tendency to have a larger waist...I inheritied my father's large frame that supports a heavy waist and trunk, so that's where any extra weight goes.

So - if I can get my upper body a bit bulkier to compensate for this...then I will look more "balanced"...ie the look I'd like to have. I do want to do also try some body sculpting exercises such as Pilates as I've heard good things about it.

I've learned a lot over the years...but I have so much more to learn...

SG
  3. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

you and me both. Ihavent' been to a gym since this summer, but I think I have a good reason! :lol:

My goals, etc are going to be subject to February's due date... Can't believe I'm in the home stretch.....

My goals:

1) to get *back* into my wedding dress
    2) to fit into my swanky new sapphire blue ballgown for the first time

How I plan on doing it... Getting back into the gym....

I love my gym, btw - it's called "Curves"... I have a squeezie bottle that says "Dangerous Curves Ahead".... I love it since I've pretty much become a J.Lo clone... Curves are IN YAY!!!!

My only gripe is that all my weight has shifted to the belly bump and my rear is gone. :evil:
  4. ballroomboilergirl

ballroomboilergirl New Member

I envy you, DancingMommy :(

I have been RAIL THIN for my entire life. Around the time I had my senior pictures taken I was 5'5" and weighed a mere 102 lbs. I have never HAD to work out, and I have never HAD to watch what I eat...my mother swears I have the metabolism of a hummingbird...plus I have always been rather self-regulating: I don't like feeling very full, so quite often I will only eat until I'm comfortable. While some of you might be thinking "This is a problem?!", I have found it to be a double-edged sword: I may be thin, but it doesn't necessarily mean that I'm fit...plus it makes me look younger than I really am, which is not good when you're only 18 :cry:

Anyway, when I came to college and started dancing, I realized very quickly that it was going to take a lot of out-of-practice exercising to make me a fierce competitor. So I started working out twice a week...and I have figured out that I LOVE it. If I had the time, I think I would work out everyday...there's something strangely empowering about having a good sweat. I stick mainly to cardio (for endurance while dancing), but I have started to pick up some light weightlifting. In addition, I always WALK to class (while pizza and beer are the main contributors to gaining the "Freshman 15", I think a lot of college students don't realize the virtues of walking to class rather than taking the bus :lol:), I dance almost everyday, and I try to watch what I eat...not so much for weight loss, but more to feel good. I do what I like to call "modified Atkins"...I still eat carbs, but just FEWER carbs than protein (*sigh* I love bread and pasta way to much to give them up :cry:) I have gained weight (I'm now up to about 110 lbs) and I think I look and feel the best I ever have...I'm starting to get a big curvier and I actually have a butt (!!!), my ankles and feet are strong, and I have good definition in my arms and legs (still working on the abs :wink:)

Why am I doing all of this? To feel confident out on the floor. If I can strut out onto the floor in a skimpy skirt and top knowing that I have better endurance, muscle strength and tone, balance, and agility than half the girls out there, its only going to make me dance that much harder. And it doesn't hurt to look good for the judges :lol:
  5. danceguy

danceguy New Member

BBG,

Thank you for sharing - it is very interesting to hear your experiences and it sounds like you've had great results! I too eat very little carbs - in fact I rarely eat pasta but maybe once a month anymore. It was really hard as an Italian American to give it up...but my body just can't handle all that starch. :cry:

Regarding the two edged sword - I feel the same way about my body type, although it is the opposite of yours.

Some years back I found a website of a professional bodybuilder and nutrition/fitness expert - one of the few that was totally against steriods and "all natural." Whatever he did, he had some muscle tone that was truly amazing - not super bulky but more built for endurance than brute strength. He reminded me a lot of Jack LaLanne actually.

Anyway, I read an article he had written about how a person who had a proclinity to gain weight easy (like myself) actually was gifted with a blessing in disguise. Since we'd have to watch what we ate that much more closely - in our efforts to get in shape we'd make healthier choices in our diets and would be a lot better off in the long run. As well, reaching our goals would mean that much more since it would require greater effort than someone who lost weight easily.

I ended up getting really angry after reading his article - man I wanted to sit this guy down and give him a serious piece of my mind - and also tell him just how hard it had been for me to slim down. But after I really thought about it - I realized that he was right. Although a two-edged sword - he had described me to a point, and suddenly I was impressed rather than angry.

I ended up writing to him and thanking him for his article and unique viewpoint, and shared my weightloss story with him. He actually wrote back, and I found that not only did we see eye to eye on a lot of nutritional aspects, but he was also one helluva nice guy. 8)

I've actually talked with several body builders about nutrition and fitness...people in that profession that a lot of knowledge to share - both good and bad. :wink:

SG
  6. SDsalsaguy

I so agree with this SG. Body buiding's information of how the body works is an immense resource.
  7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. Curves are great, and from what I hear and have read, the Curves diet/exercise plan is great too. You can't beat it -- two or three days of dieting a month max, and thirty minutes of exercise three days a week. Mmm. You definitely can't beat that.

I haven't finished setting my fitness goals yet, but I know they involve taking things up a notch. I've been working out regularly for three years, and I'm on a major plateau. It's time to raise the bar and get RIPPED. 'll let you know when I figure out how to get there. I suspect personal training will be involved. :lol: :lol:
  8. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

Don't worry, I like thin girls ;) :kissme:

Just don't do what this girl from my highschool grad class did. She was rail thin for as long as I'd known her, then I didn't see her for most of a year after grad. When I saw her again, she was huge (don't mean to be rude here, but that's the only way to describe her) I'd guess around 350+lbs. When her metabolism slowed down, she didn't know how to control her eating.

You don't want me to have to picture that pretty face on your avatar on an unattractive body, now do you? ;)
  9. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

I'm sitting at about 14% body fat right now. My goal for the end of the snowboarding season is 10% or less. By the end of the school year, I hope to have another 2 inches on my arms (biceps and forearms), and 4 more on my chest. Right now my waist/chest/biceps/forearms are 32"/40"/12.5"/11". (yes, I know I'm scrawny, thank you very much :p)
  10. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: Thin, NeoDevin. Thin. Not scrawny! 8) :D
  11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Neo . . .
    Yes, I would say that's proportionate enough to make some of us very jealous :roll:
  12. ballroomboilergirl

ballroomboilergirl New Member

And I thought I had a hard time giving up bread and pasta! My mom used to call me the "Carb Queen". I feel for you Italians trying to do Atkins, SG :cry: Hang in there! The results are well worth it :wink:

I guess the fact that we both have very different body types and we both have body issues just goes to show that everyone has things about their body that they'd like to change, and that no one is perfect :D As terrible as this is going to sound, its always nice to know that you're not the only one who is insecure about yourself :oops: Thank you for sharing :D

I agree that those who have slower metabolisms do learn better eating habits more quickly than those who have quick metabolisms. *Knock on wood* My metabolism has not showed signs of slowing down anytime soon, but I know that with age I am going to have to pay more and more attention to what I eat, so I guess this is also part of the reason I have restricted my diet somewhat. Besides my carb obsession, I have also had a hard time giving up my caffeine addiction...I have tried to cut back on my soda consumption, but I admit that I do tend to slip when I'm on the go or trying to stay awake and it's convenient :( Its hard to break a habit that I've had for so many years! I have also tried to stop eating after 9 o'clock at night, but I haven't had much success with that yet either :?

:oops: Well I'm glad you like your women lean and mean, Devin...if I'm not mistaken, I'd say that you were hitting on me, no? :lol: And no, you won't have to picture that atrocious shot of my face (that picture was taken at 3 in the morning at my faculty advisor's house after a long night of dancing with the team!) on an unattractive body...with the rate I'm dancing, walking, working out, and watching what I eat, I'm hoping to be a lean, mean, dancing machine by Spring Break...well, I guess I'm already most of the way there, but I want to be in tip-top bikini shape...I'm hoping to get to the point where Britney's abs have NOTHING on mine :wink: Now I just have to figure out where I'm gonna go for Spring Break, lol :lol:
  13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

That's something!! :eek: I think I'm 5'3?",weigh 155-120 normally, and I think that I'm scrawny! 110 sounds better, somehow.

That's what I thought, and never had a problem either. I only eat until I am comfortable also, but this christmas for the first time I did absolutely no exercise. None! Barely any walking etc. At the end of two weeks I was 7-9 pounds heavier, with less muscle and at least 2 inches in waist growth! It happens. I blame it all on dancing!! :)

You call that atrocious? You must be stunning when you are at your best!!

You are a young'un, dude!! And it's difficult for me to tell you are scrawny without a height to go along with your other measurements. Are you an easy gainer? If I tried to put on those inches in 5 months it would be quite a task, almost downright impossible!! The only way I could do it would to workout with my friends, like I did freshman year in college. (And that's out of the question with my bad left shoulder.) I hadn't ever lifted weights and they started me doing resistance curls of 70 plus pounds, bench press of 180 pounds,...you get the idea... and forced me to use every ounce of strength that I had. Of course, they carried most of the weight, but the effort of each rep almost brought me to tears. I did see dramatic improvements though. :)
  14. d nice

d nice New Member

Diet... so much misunderstanding about this word and what it means...

A diet is simply what you eat regularly, your dining habits. Any diet that forbids you to eat something is generally going to be less effective in the long run, or for the few that produce results and don't produce health risks often are hard to maintain a joyfulness abotu living your life.

Your best bet is to simply adjust your current diet to one of regular full meals, snacks during the day, and all of proportions needed to maintain your energy output and in the proper protein, carb, and fat balance.

As to curves... I have a problem with a gym that does not use mirrors... a realistic body image is IMPORTANT. If you want to truly change the way you look you MUST confront what you look like now. Building self esteem, or preventing someone from getting discouraged because visible results can take longer than some would expect are great. Hiding from reality though is not a healthy way to do it.
  15. SDsalsaguy

I'm glad you made that comment regarding the word diet Damon. I think the problem comes from the notion that some people go "on" a diet . . . as if they didn't have one already! I also think that realizing that your diet is what you regularly consume helps shift the focus to health and lifestyle form mere weight loss.
  16. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

For my diet right now, I'm just trying to reduce (not eliminate, else I'll just go crazy and pig out someday) useless carbs like pasta, white grains etc. by sticking to whole grains and fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as more protien (thank goodness for supplements, don't know how I would afford so much meat if it was my main source of protien). I'm also trying to slightly reduce my total calorie intake.

:shock: Hitting on you? Who? Me? Do I seem like the kind of guy who would do that?

That's an atrocious shot of your face? If that's the case, put up a good one, cus I thought that one was pretty good. Good to know I won't have to picture that. Britney's got some nice abs, yours'll have to be pretty good to best hers.

Hmmm, you could come to Edmonton for Spring Break ;) ... if we're lucky the skihills will still be open ;) I'll teach you how to snowboard.

I'm 5'8" or 1.73m tall. I'm a moderate gainer, I have no doubt I can get those inches on, as long as I make it to the gym regularly. That doesn't always happen though :headwall: I always have good intentions of hitting the gym regularly... but I usually decide to go snowboarding instead (don't get me wrong, snowboarding is a good workout, but it's mostly abs and legs, both of which I've already got really good from when I was in Tae Kwon Do)

Well... when you put it that way... :)

That doesn't necessarily mean it's where I want it. ;) I set very high standards for myself in everything I do.

So true. The problem with most diets (or people who diet) to lose weight, is that people expect that they can go back to their original eating habits and stay thin. This has happened to most of my female friends who've dieted to lose weight. They stick to their diet plan to the 'T', but as soon as they hit their target weight, they give up, and go back to eating whatever they feel like, then they wonder why they gain it back so quickly... or they stop going to the gym, same problem.
  17. danceguy

danceguy New Member

It is amazing how many fad diets are out there...and most are really just out to take advantage of people and make a quick buck. There's a degree of pyschology that some of the more dastardly ones use...I once got hooked on this "Herbalife" stuff and the person who was selling it (my then roommates mother) was a business woman of unparalleled proportions.

Everytime I wanted to quit - she would hit my emotions and tell me how I'd gain all the weight back and still be tubby, etc etc. The supplements she sold were mediocre and expensive as heck. Finally, I went to a GNC and bought better quality items that were a fraction of the cost - kissed her stupid diet goodbye and lost even more weight and inches. It was tough to break away from that to say the least...

After I finally got to where I considered myself "thin" (about 2 years of really hard work) I decided I wanted to write a book about how I lost all the weight. But after I thought about it - I realized that I wanted to wait and continue to study and do research.

Its been almost 10 years since then - and I'm finally at a point where I'm just about ready. The one thing I do know - is that the word "diet" wont be anywhere in the title. The toughest part is that there are so many variables in peoples eating habits and body types - almost every steadfast principle can easily be contradicted like the few I'll list here:

Eating lots of protein vs eating almost no protein. Never going more than 5 hours between meals vs 24 hr fasting without food and water. Overeating vs undereating - I've tried them all and many others to both extremes - and found good and bad points of each that I have utilized in the way I eat.

I know a group of macrobiotic folks that eat hardly any protein, and I mean hardly any and have so for many, many years (something my body couldn't handle). Mainly rice, vegetables and special meals prepared with incredible attention to detail. Sounds crazy - but they are some of the healthiest and strongest people I have ever met.

For instance - my basic "guidlines" for staying in shape is to eat high quality foods - good protein, moderate carbs (mostly from fruit and veggies), good quality fat and avoid refined sugar. Along with this, to not over eat, and to eat your last meal several hours before you go to bed. With these and a few other minor things to keep in mind, I have great flexibility in my eating habits, enjoy what I eat and combined with exercise, I can stay in shape and easily lose any extra weight when I fall off track - which everyone does. It is a necessary component to fitness...once you fall off the wagon, you really know why you were on it in the first place.

The best way to get control of your body weight is to find out whats right for you through trial and error. Learn what you can from others, keep what works and toss out what doesn't. There's so much more to cover that I don't have the time to get into here - our genetics, blood type, glycemic index, and most importantly - the emotional and psychological side of why we eat, don't eat and/or overeat certain foods. Without mastery of this crucial component, even with the best intentions, the best food/vitamins/personal training and workouts - you will fail, and fail miserably. I can personally attest to this with the last 15 years of my life that I have spent in researching nutrition and transforming my body.

Its best to say that its a way of life to get in shape since you have to change your life to do so - an ongoing process of learning that never ends.

Yikes, I better get off the soapbox and start writing that book!
    :p
  18. pygmalion

For the life of me I can't understand why people diet at all, and worse yet, do those fad diets. To each his/her own, I guess. But there are studies all over the place which say that moderate lifestyle changes over time lead to maintainable weight loss.

I'll never forget a girlfriend of mine who, a few years ago, went on the sugar busters diet. No sugar at all. I can distinctly remember her lecturing me about the evils of carrots. CARROTS! :shock: :lol: But she lost 38 pounds, so she was feeling pretty good about going carrot-free. :lol:

A year later, she had regained all the weight and then some.

About that same time, I went on weight watchers to support a friend. (I'm not advocating weight watchers -- the way they have points set up, you can eat awful food and still stay within diet guidelines.) That's not what I did, though. I started thinking about my dietary choices, and changed the way I eat. Oh yeah, and started exercising more. Three years later, other than my muscle weight gain from working out, I haven't gained the weight back at all, and I'm actually thinner and healthier than I ever before in my adult life. And I didn't have to eliminate carbs to do it. Balance, I think. Balance works.
    1 person likes this.
  19. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Amen!
  20. tasche

tasche New Member

I think when it comes to dieting people believe what they wish to believe. I'm on atkins and having being doing so since june and have lost 30lbs and 9" off my waist However in the atkins books ( if ppl read it) it clearly defines the 4 stages of the plan and the fact that you never truely go off it you just go into maintance which is a level you spend months figured out while losing the last 5lbs

So many ppl believ a diet is something they can jump on and off again like a bike. Not true. Everytime you quit a diet and then start it again your losing some of the metabolic advantage that you had in the first place.

Alot of ppl think atkins is just bacon and eggs and you only do it for 2 weeks then you cna go back to your bad assed eating. Well um isn't that how you got fat in the first palce I think. Also I notice ppl say "oh I could never give up blah blahblah" Again I ahve to think if you dont want to change what you eat or do why do you think your body should change and I think this appies to all forms of eating.

Also alot of ppl look at my atkins cookbook and look at a picture of pasta and say "oh I can eat pasta on atkins?" and I explain to them thats special low carb pasta, should only be eaten occasionally and when you've met your goals. But I know they dont listen they just use the information to justify their lifestyle

Now about carrots. The way most women eat carrots is they eliminate all other snacks and just munch theur way through a 2lb bag of mini carrots. Now their is a lot of sugar in that and with the amount I see most wmen eat you might as well eat a ding dong for all the good your doing to blood sugar

Now I eat carrots but I'll eat a small mini bag with some string cheese and perhaps a chicken leg as a snack. Now tell doesn't that sound better than just carrots and your getting a variety of protien and other goodies.

All I can say is atkins is the only way of eating ( NOT a diet to me as diet is die with a T) where I can eat in a natural way (i.e when i'm hungry I eat enough food so I'm not hungry) and that I dont have to constantly think about.

I starved on weightwatchers and slimfast I was always running out of points