Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

You tell me. I've weighed a steady 58Kg for many many months and yet I can't find a pair of jeans that don't drop to my knees while buttoned! :shock: I keep losing inches, obviously! Which is very annoying when you realise you have 5 pairs of jeans you can't wear.

T_E
  2. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Went to the gym Mon. - Thursday this week, including working out with a trainer this morning. Plan to do strength training with the trainer 2x/week, and do cardio the other days. Will probably just do cardio at home tomorrow, and maybe kickboxing on Saturday.

Been doing well watching what I'm eating, but Passover has been difficult. Lots of food, lots of salt, kind of similar to Thanksgiving. I did a relatively good job last night filling up my plate with more veggies than anything else, skipping the extremely fattening chopped liver, skipping the wine (other than for the blessings) and going very easy on the dessert. One more night of it to go, hopefully I can be as good or better.
  3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

RE: goals

I recently read a book that said that people who make their goal to lose xx lbs. are more likely to gain it back than people who make their goal to lower to and maintain a weight of xxx lbs. I have no idea if this works, but in my mind, I think it probably would.

I'm with NeoD (I think it was NeoD); got rid of most of the bad carbs...it wasn't that difficult. I'm Irish and Italian. Potatoes and Pasta were in my bloodstream from birth. I now eat them minimally. The result has been not just a smaller belly, but better sustained energy supplies. It has been worth it to me....now only alcohol makes me crash *LOL* (Sorry, those are the necessary carbs....).

Oh, and I think it is REALLY good to mark your progress, workouts and practices. It'll keep you more motivated to continue with it. And if you see a gap of a few days with no activity, and look back on what you had been doing, I think you're more likely to get back to your workouts.
  4. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

What are good/bad carbs? If I can't have pasta or noodles I'll die :roll: :lol:.
    Avoiding alcohol is easy for me though since my normal intake is like a glass of wine every 2-weeks :lol:.
  5. alemana

alemana New Member

1. i write my workouts every day, in detail, in a book i keep in my locker at the gym.

2. i plan out my workout and dance schedule several days in advance every week to make sure i get everything in.

3. i learned to do cardio in the mornings (radically not a morning person) to free up my post-work hours for dancing and other kinds of working out ( i like to lift weights and work on a ball and do all kinds of calisthenics.)

4. if i miss a workout or eat some bad crap, i let it go and start over the next day.
  6. alemana

alemana New Member

bad carbs: refined, processed, usually white. lots of sugar, quick insulin kick followed by crash. potatoes fall into this category according to some experts.

good carbs: whole grain, unrefined, minimal processing.
  7. skwiggy

As of yesterday I met my first mini-goal! 11 lbs. down from a month ago, and yes, it took MAJOR lifestyle changes to get there. Now I'm just trying to think of what my reward to myself will be. First instinct was a nice dinner out with a bottle of wine. Then I slapped myself into reality--that's how I got here in the first place. ;) So instead maybe a mani-pedi or something.

Next mini-goal: 5 more lbs. With any luck I'll get there by the time I have to wear a bathing suit over Memorial Day weekend.

My ballgown was hanging low on me at MIT, which caused me to trip over it for the entire first round. Personally, I get excited when my clothes don't fit anymore. Even when it's something as expensive as a ballgown.

Good thing my partner is in the process of making my next gown. Although we may have to do more fittings than usual if my efforts continue to succeed.

This week I didn't get much exercise on Sunday, since I was busy judging UMCP's beginner comp and was completely exhausted from competing/traveling the day before. Did cardio on Monday, weights on Tuesday, and I'm taking today off from the gym, but tonight's practice should be pretty good cardio since we do at least 2 rounds. Tomorrow weights again. Friday I may try yoga, and Saturday we'll see if I have energy to do kickboxing in the morning before competing in the afternoon.
  8. mamboqueen

Good for you, Skwiggy! A mani/pedi sounds like a nice treat (although there are some low fat or low carb dessert options :raisebro:, and I don't think a glass of wine would undo your success...).

Also, a nice clothing purchase that shows off your reduction is good motivation to stay that way!
  9. skwiggy

I agree, I don't think one glass of wine or a low fat/carb dessert would cause too much harm. And I have been drinking occasionally, like once a week or less. I'm just trying to stop thinking of food and drink as a reward. Not easy. :)

Maybe I'll do some shopping at lunch tomorrow. Ann Taylor is a short walk from my office. ;)
  10. mamboqueen

One of my faves...although I go to the Loft more frequently due to price considerations ;)

You're right about the rewards. The next thing you know, it'll be a hot fudge sundae with chocolate moosetracks ice cream, Richardson's hot fudge, home made whip cream and nuts.

(that was probably not very nice of me....:shock: )
  11. skwiggy

I also go to the Loft more often for similar reasons. But I did quite a bit of damage there not too long ago, so I think I've already kind of picked over their stuff from this season. Ann Taylor is a much bigger treat, since I usually can't afford their stuff, haha!

Yummmmmmmy. :) (except for the nuts, blech ;))
  12. alemana

alemana New Member

i'm on the third day of a "cleansing" regime i decided to do after getting tired of my worsening sugar cravings (which i almost always gave in to) and to counteract a general feeling of being full of JUNK that i want OUT of my body.

it's nothing complicated, just NO CRAP FOOD. nothing but whole foods, thoughtfully restricted fats (flaxseed oil daily, a bit of olive and canola for cooking), eating very low on the glycemic index, everything organic. plus the standard cleansing regimes of fiber, lemon water, and elimination of wheat, dairy, sugar, caffeine and all additives.

i am not off caffeine, but i have scaled way back and am training myself to drink straight espresso so i can lay off the sugar and milk.

GOD I WANT A COOKIE, argh.
  13. skwiggy

I feel your pain. This is the story of my life. ;)
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not me... I just want an ENORMOUS plate of spagetti and meatballs and mushrooms and pamesan cheese....I want a plate so big that I can swim through it...lordie it has been forever since I have had pasta...forever
  15. alemana

alemana New Member

i am also doing this program with a colleague who is paying me to cook for both of us. it's more stressful since i can't cheat, but i'm also basically being forced to adhere to the guidelines, which is, needless to say, useful.
  16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wow. I don't think I could handle the pressure. I like cheating on my diet, every now and then. :wink: :lol:
  17. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Hey all - good thread! I've taken a little bit of a different approach to my dieting . . . rather than drastically changing what I eat, I've been focusing on portion control. Sure, I've tried to be mindful of eating generally healthier things, but if I really want something, I eat it. I set a doable cap on calories/day for myself, and counted like crazy for the first two weeks. So - cookie with lunch is fine, but I'll just have to make up for it by eating less dinner. I don't count as religiously now that I've gotten a feel for how much I can have, and it seems to be working just fine - I don't feel hungry or deprived.

It really is all about portion control. I always tended to eat too much - when I was a teenager and dancing 30hrs a week, it didn't seem to matter. But it really caught up with me in college! I just need to train myself to eat until I'm not hungry instead of 'till I'm stuffed.

When I hit my all-time high of 141lbs a month or so ago, I just had to change something. I wasn't really fat, but I sure was heading in that direction. (I weighed 115lbs when I started college - it's now my fifth year) My goal is to get back down to between 120 and 125 lbs.

So far I'm down 8lbs in 3 weeks. Yay!
  18. alemana

alemana New Member

very good strategy. i was able to do that with everything except sweets - i had developed a crazy obsession. so here i was all muscular, thin and ripped - with a muffintop belly full of peanut m&m's. it was excruciating. and i always wanted MORE. i couldn't take the craving.
  19. skwiggy

Congrats delamusica! That's great! :)

For me, it's a combination of what *and* how much. I already ate pretty healthy before, so I had to shake things up pretty drastically in order to make a difference. I'm eating much different food, and a lot less of it. Although I find myself grazing more throughout the day now, especially on the days when I lift weights in the morning. I just get so hungry! But they say that grazing throughout the day instead of eating 3 meals is a good way to go, so maybe it's a good thing.

Usually if I really really want the cookie, I'll just ask for one bite of someone else's cookie, and call it a day. ;)
  20. alemana

alemana New Member

yeah i had to supplement the calories in this program because 1200/day will not cut it for someone who dances and works out every day, plus training others. it's simply not enough.