Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

True. It seems a lot of diets are designed for sedentary people. :? I've even had Weight Watchers counselors tell me not to exercise too much -- it messes up their Weight Watchers points calculations. Weird!
  2. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Alemana recommended a gym to me recently...and I joined. I found in the past that joining a gym vs. using the company gym or gym in my building helps... when I'm paying for something I'm more inclined to go and get my money's worth...that and my current job/apartment don't have gyms!

I also asked a fellow swing dancer who works out regularly to be my workout partner. She can offer me advice and keep my from getting hurt. Plus having Alemana around means extra help!

I'm a tiny person, but I have had bad eating habits and workout habits for years, so there's a surprizingly large amount of jiggle on me. Dance has already gotten me to eat better (and we're still working on that), so I'm excited about actually getting my body into shape -- and being able to eventually lift more than 5lbs!

My parents went on Weight Watchers years ago, so I'm using what they leaned (not to lose weight, but to just have a cleaner/healthier lifestyle and get all the protein and iron I've been missing as a vegetarian) plus Andrew Weil's advice to still enjoy my food but get all those missing nutrients and have the energy to dance all night! Emerging myself in dance more and more has gotten me realizing how weak I really am. I never would have thought dance would make this much a change in my life when I started a year and a half ago.

Edit: I had my second day in the gym last night...we're on a pushes/pulls/legs schedule...pushes we went really light the other day so as not to hurt me...we upped the pulls last night and wow! Who knew there were all those muscles! Sticking to it all is going to be the hard thing, luckily my partner is so gung-ho that she'sll drag me to the gym if need be.
  3. alemana

alemana New Member

every time i read your reports i smile :) it's really smart that you have a workout buddy, very motivating. i wish i did!

you do have a very slight frame and i hear what you are saying about "having jiggle" - i am thin but i have it, too. i need to get rid of some of the subcutaneous fat that's lurking around. get the bodyfat percentage down a few points.

unfortunately one can't really control where the fat comes off. if i continue to lose but the belly stays, at a certain point i will just have to embrace it i guess. that will keep me from rocking the sexy two-piece competition outfits, however- i just saw cheryl burke's white two-piece from DWTS is for sale, and damn do i want it.
  4. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Embrace it? nah! I'll go under the knife if need be...JOKING!

If I wasn't so gung-ho on becoming a good dancer, I'd have no problem not going to the gym. I love my body...maybe it comes from going to school an in a very conservative town after having grown up in liberal Vermont... I was always amazed by how nervous and ashamed people were of thier bodies. I never wanted to be so obsessed with how I looked after hearing girls pick themselves apart after not making it into the right sorority or hiding their loveliness because the church said women are evil and shouldn't wear make-up/tempt men (like I said...super conservative!). I wanted to yell at them that they were beautiful women and should be happy with what they have..sadly when you're in a mental rut and brainwashed for years you don't tend to hear the good people can offer you.

To that end, I'm still not obsessed.. working out and eating healthy for me is about the dancing, about having been fatigued for about a year. I wanted a change in lifestyle that motivated me into doing this all.

Of course, the aching lats might send me back into hiding!
  5. alemana

alemana New Member

i think your motivation is right on, and will doubtless mean more success for you than if you were working out out of shame.
  6. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

I am being good keeping up with my workout program. Did vibra train and yoga on monday, pilates matwork on tuesday, vibra train and yoga today. Due to long weekend, no yoga or pilates for a week.

Got my body measurements today. Am a little overweight still and body fat is a bit highish. Will have to work hard to bring them down. Will have to take some carrots to work to eat out my frustration instead of supporting the snack machine at work.

The mild work out is also assisting me in sleeping better. I am more relaxed after yoga. (Would have loved a crazy music step class, not available in area where i live nor would it be good for sleeping that night)

How is everybody else's sleep doing since they are more committed to working out ?
  7. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Sleeping like a log. :)
  8. alemana

alemana New Member

i never have any problems, and i work out very late at night. it's my natural high-energy time.
  9. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

is it just me or do others think that chocolate is "the next course" after lunch and dinner. I'm in a rut. Thankfully, no more "chocolate holidays" for many months.
  10. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

Couldn't you get someone else to embrace it for you?
  11. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Am I the only person who cannot snack on carrots? I can eat half a bag of baby carrots and still be starving - I just don't find them the least bit filling! Useless!

Eh. I suppose we all have our quirks. :)
  12. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

To me chocolate was a whole food group.

I love carrots but they do not work as snacks. Neither does any other vegetable for that matter.

My problem has always been that I am a finicky eater, and have used chocolate as a main energy source. I am not on a diet now. I am on a major change in eating habits.

I have cut out chocolate from my diet :shock: gasp:? So far I haven't made it to totally eliminating it, but I have cut it back by approximately 90% which I find mind bogglingly great. I still have days when it talks to me constantly, but I am finding ways to avoid it.

I am paying strict attention to portion control. Everyone knows it intellectually, but it is incredible how skewed portion sizes are in this country at eating out places, which then skews your idea of what you should be eating at home.

I am trying to find more vegetables that my palate will tolerate. I am absolutely NOT a vegetable person.

I still eat way too many saturated fats, but I am working on cutting them down. I like too many meats and cheeses with them in it to eliminate them totally.

So far I have lost 9 pounds (about a lb a week) and am planning on losing another 35-40 by the end of the year.
  13. pygmalion

That is mind bogglingly great! Quite an accomplishment. :notworth:
  14. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

How do you do it? Please do share -- I have amazing hearing when it comes to chocolate talking to me...

Damn, it's started again! :roll:
  15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Carrots will not sustain; they have a high glycemic value (according to Mr. South Beach diet) and basically turn to sugar and blast through your system....they will not remotely fill you, but if you need a zap of energy in about 1/2 hour, carrots and orange juice should be quite helpful.
  16. alemana

alemana New Member

eh, to each their own. carrots are a perfect edge-taker-offer for me. additionally, the oral fixation part of my food addiction is extremely satisfied by the work it takes to eat them.
  17. alemana

alemana New Member

anyway, day four of The Cleanse.

i'm already down a few pounds and thankfully the addition of a tiny bit of additional carbs has returned me to form at the gym - i had to step off my treadmill workout on monday due to no energy, and that *never* happens.

but last night i was with my trainer for an hour and had no energy or stamina issues. i didn't even flinch when he munched on the present of homemade choc chip cookies with which i'd presented him prior to the workout - to celebrate a year of working together. (hard to believe.) i'm sort of in "boot camp" mentality, where i see that there's a period of hard work in front of me, but the reward also seems attainable and the timeframe relatively short.

if people are interested to know what happens to you, ah, intestinally when you cleanse, PM me. it's.... rewarding.
  18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

hmmm...I just eat what my body tells me too. Am trying not to lose teh exercise thing with the stress of moving etc etc...
  19. alemana

alemana New Member

well, this item is ostensibly a support arena for those who *are* trying.
  20. pygmalion

I guess I'm like you. If I haven't chewed something, I feel like I haven't eaten. Is that what you meant?